N/A barrel bands,, yah or nay

aaaand lets just get this 10th. post out of the way... thank you
10 quality posts, reponding to your own post twice won't count. I've found that using a barrel band may cause poi shift with the expansion of the bottle if you live in hot climates. I run all my guns without one. Even my impact withh a 700cc bottle.

I think it depends on the specific application. If a barrel attaches in a robust manner at the breech, then a barrel band may only be adding a variable that could cause problems. Of course, many air rifle barrels are anything but robust in their attachment, so a well-designed band support might be beneficial. The only PCP I own that I would trust to maintain POI in field use is the Taipan Veteran. Its assembly design and its anti-double load feature that allows decocking make it a great choice for field use.

Check to see of the "pro" / "Olympic" shooters use them !
Not...so much.

Mike
Most of the Olympic quality rifles are constructed in a relatively solid manner. Also, it's really difficult to compare the need (or not) for a band in a general purpose rifle and a dedicated match rifle. Whether 10M, three-position or BR, the shooter has the opportunity to check the zero of the rifle before shooting for score, and the rifle isn't banged around during the match. And in high level competition, whether the consideration is for a barrel band, moderator, magazine, etc., there is no need to introduce an unneeded variable, regardless of how small the risk of negative effect.

Reactions: Caliber 22
I had a barrel band 3D printed but it didn't fit right but now this thread has me thinking... A scenario being If I zero my scope with the gun on a bipod and later shoot with the gun resting on the bottle, a barrel band would cause a POI shift. If the gun was designed so that it did not / could not rest on the bottle then maybe a barrel band could be beneficial. I considered it for my Maverick but changing my mind. Why introduce any scenario that could cause an unexpected POI shift!!

10 quality posts, reponding to your own post twice won't count. I've found that using a barrel band may cause poi shift with the expansion of the bottle if you live in hot climates. I run all my guns without one. Even my impact withh a 700cc bottle.
very interesting!! i never would have thought about that.

Reactions: JaceSpace1369
I think it depends on the specific application. If a barrel attaches in a robust manner at the breech, then a barrel band may only be adding a variable that could cause problems. Of course, many air rifle barrels are anything but robust in their attachment, so a well-designed band support might be beneficial. The only PCP I own that I would trust to maintain POI in field use is the Taipan Veteran. Its assembly design and its anti-double load feature that allows decocking make it a great choice for field use.
i do have a veteran long.. ty

as far as the post count,,, i thought it would make a difference in posting in classified section. looks like its disabled.

Reactions: JaceSpace1369
If a barrel band is not fitted it "should" not be need, it was designed as a floating barrel or it maybe tentioned via the shroud. Having said that I have one on my Fx Dreamline but have 600mm barrel on it, it does work and reduces POI issues. If we modify our guns harmonics come into play therefore a barrel band can be come a help or cause problems. If your a hunter, especially with longer floating barrels with out a barrel band it is easy to understand how they might help. Problems maybe more an issue if barrel band is attached via cylinder or tube due to exspantion as mentioned. Another option would be to having the barrel band attached firmly to the rifle via the cylinder, tube etc and have it lose fitting around barrel, say a 1mm gap just to minimise deflection through knocks in a hunting situation. It's all a matter of experimentation which is what we do.

I normally don't use barrel bands but had no choice on my 800mm .35 Cal Barrel because a tensioner was not enough to eliminate barrel whip. I did not get acceptable accuracy until I put the barrel band on it. None of my smaller calibers needed one; a tensioner was sufficient.
I dare say that you have a very specific and different scenario. Due to shooting at 35 caliber round out of a not study .35 barrel and that length certainly didn't help. I tried using the Huma air tensioner/rail extender and and the gun looked great but anytime I wanted to shoot the gun for the first time. In the first few shots, the rounds would go like 6 inches to either the left or the right. And it never made sense.

Here's what I'll say if your gun has a barrel that is prone to being knocked round is very easily moved. Then yes, you will most likely benefits from using a barrel band otherwise I wouldn't even look at them. Out of all the guns I have, the Veteran taipan and 25, Cricket tactical twenty two, the leshiy classic 177, and the AEA Max .35 are the most solidly built, and will never need barrel band. My impact barrel can be moved a bit but I've found it to always be hitting where I'm aiming unless I misjudged the distance and angle.