Barrel Band

Old man just getting into the air gunning game been a powder guy all my life just bought a stormrider and I keep reading about needing to put a 2nd barrel band on it. Not understanding why I have had it a couple weeks and it shoots fine I don't put any undue force on the barrel is that why people keep saying it needs a 2nd band cause they might get a little rough with them? And are worried about knocking the barrel out of line?

Your gun, your choice, not someone else's. If it shoots well...why mess with it ?
If you do some searching, the Olympic shooters with a similar long barrel overhang, for the most part..."don't" use...any...barrel bands. Many other shooters...don't use bands. Some do...just to follow some crowd !!
A couple of different reasons. One main one is the difference in the thermal expansion. The difference in air cylinder material, vs. the barrel material, will have a different coefficient of thermal expansion, therefore, change shape differently as the ambient temperature changes.
This equals, the parts expanding OR, contracting at different rates,depending on the day, and one part either pulling or pushing...on the other.

If it were me...I'd let the barrel...hang...as designed.

Mike

Your gun, your choice, not someone else's. If it shoots well...why mess with it ?
If you do some searching, the Olympic shooters with a similar long barrel overhang, for the most part..."don't" use...any...barrel bands. Many other shooters...don't use bands. Some do...just to follow some crowd !!
A couple of different reasons. One main one is the difference in the thermal expansion. The difference in air cylinder material, vs. the barrel material, will have a different coefficient of thermal expansion, therefore, change shape differently as the ambient temperature changes.
This equals, the parts expanding OR, contracting at different rates,depending on the day, and one part either pulling or pushing...on the other.

If it were me...I'd let the barrel...hang...as designed.

Mike
Thanks I kind of figured that an air gun manufacture that has been in business for over 125 yr's probably knows what the doing better then all these air gun guru's. The air gun world seems to be just like the powder gun world too many gun guru's.

My .02 .... Agree with the others about adding or not adding band. My situation for adding was about woods-walking - rifle slung over my shoulder and getting home finding a broken twig stuck firmly in between my FX Classic barrel and tank tube. Yes.... had I needed to take a quick shot at anything I likely would've noticed the twig and been able to remove it and still possibly had the shot.....? I guess I added the band more for piece of mind and "what ifs".

Reactions: rcs9250
Old man just getting into the air gunning game been a powder guy all my life just bought a stormrider and I keep reading about needing to put a 2nd barrel band on it. Not understanding why I have had it a couple weeks and it shoots fine I don't put any undue force on the barrel is that why people keep saying it needs a 2nd band cause they might get a little rough with them? And are worried about knocking the barrel out of line?
In my experience, barrel bands are likely to produce point of impact problems unless they are very secure. I have gotten used to the barrel sticking out unsecured after barrel band application caused my shots to be off.