Barra 1200g dual caliber. Is it good?

I'm in the market for a "low power" (edit: sorry guys I meant relative to my PCPs!) gun I can use to practice for competitive shooting and I don't really care if I'm the only person with a low end gun or don't win.

Anyway, Airgun Detectives seemed to like it pretty well. Seems accurate for a springer/gas gun to me. Certainly better than my old Hatsan Mod 125 for accuracy.

Dual caliber is an awesome feature. Love the Alpine Camo stock option. $190.00 at Pyramid Air. Any reasons I should not buy this and call it a day?

Last edited:
I surely would not consider this a low powered gun. It’s a magnum. It looks to be a lot for the money. I think the barrel switch sounds better than it is however. Having to readjust the scope every time would get old in a hurry. I have many Hatsans and I would consider this Barra to be more of the same. Put a little more $100 with it and look at a HW30. Many competitive shooters use the HW30.

HW30/BeemanR7 ... well I do appreciate the advice and surely you have more experience in these matters than I. At the same time, looking at this chart here, this just seems way too weak for me to enjoy.

One thing I did like about the Barra 1200g is that it's "sub 20 ft lb" but not by a huge amount. I would much prefer shooting at a higher velocity and flatter trajectory. Just what I'm used to and personal preference. I also would like to be able to kill varmints at 50 yards. And I probably won't be doing any match shooting where it's super close range, unless it's some kind of mixed distance FT.

Having to readjust the scope is an inconvenience, but I don't see myself changing barrels very frequently. Probably experiment a bit & find one that works best. What's nice about having the 22 barrel is I have a ton of variety of 22 ammo. 177 I have never shot before except a BB gun.

Maybe I already sold myself on the Barra but hoping somebody already bought one and can tell me how they like it?

HW30/BeemanR7 ... well I do appreciate the advice and surely you have more experience in these matters than I. At the same time, looking at this chart here, this just seems way too weak for me to enjoy.

One thing I did like about the Barra 1200g is that it's "sub 20 ft lb" but not by a huge amount. I would much prefer shooting at a higher velocity and flatter trajectory. Just what I'm used to and personal preference. I also would like to be able to kill varmints at 50 yards. And I probably won't be doing any match shooting where it's super close range, unless it's some kind of mixed distance FT.

Having to readjust the scope is an inconvenience, but I don't see myself changing barrels very frequently. Probably experiment a bit & find one that works best. What's nice about having the 22 barrel is I have a ton of variety of 22 ammo. 177 I have never shot before except a BB gun.

Maybe I already sold myself on the Barra but hoping somebody already bought one and can tell me how they like it?
Oh, I was going to recommend one of the Beeman Cubs. I haven't used the .177 barrel yet, but I am going to be mounting a scope soon. Lower power is nice for basement use!

Reactions: silvershooter589
I read the 1200G is "designed by Beeman".

I should have specified-- I'm mainly looking at Field Target use and target/plinking in my yard where 30 yards is about the minimum distance I've ever put up a target. There is a dual purpose to this-- the other is simply to replace my broken Hatsan Mod 125 .25 caliber, which was my first airgun but ultimately I never shot it well, nor cared to shoot it again once I purchased a PCP. (and thus why I don't care to replace it's busted air spring)

Isn't this 1200G similar in power to what people use in FT like some of the "magnum" Beemans, Weinrauch, AA, etc?

I'm just thinking based on Airgun Detectives video it might overperform expectations for the price. Plus I'd be the only guy with a badass arctic camo stock :ninja:

I read in your original post you were looking for a low powered gun for competitive shooting. It sounds now like you are making the right choice. Good luck. Please keep us informed.

Reactions: silvershooter589