Baracuda Hunter Extreme .25 Cal for Turkeys?

The Hunter Extremes...pretty accurate in a number of rifles. They do not expand on small game but behave similarly to a wadcutter so they do in fact produce more tissue damage than a dome...though they will generally lack the necessary accuracy past 40 yards or so where a dome takes preference.

The same is true of the JSB Hades in my experience.

Emu, you did not say what you would be shooting them in, so it depends......

I don't hunt turkeys, but I have killed tougher animals with standard H&N Baracuda and JSB Exact King pellets and they do just fine. All my pellets have passed through animals like skunks, jackrabbits and prairie dogs at any body angle from any distance. I stick with the domed pellets because of the better accuracy and retained energy advantage. I have tried Beeman Silver Bear and H&N Crow Magnum pellets, and the accuracy loss was unacceptable and I have had no problem with the domed pellets being deadly at .25 caliber.

If you were shooting turkeys with a chest shot with standard Baracuda pellets at the 40-45 FPE I shoot at, it would be a pass through and the turkey would probably be DRT. I have shot sharptail grouse with JSB Exact King pellets right through the heart, and they fall dead without so much as flapping a wing.

I have actually shot 2 with them last year, Taipan veteran long, pushing them @ 920 FPS, not anymore! They did the job? But they we’re out of the tin (almost) perfect when recovered, just went to a 29.5 NSA slug, very big improvement in all aspects, including the loud pop! They jump up in the air and land on their back flapping👍🏻 I shoot them right above the drumstick, I can’t hit their damn head, they move it too much.

Wild turkey with a pellet rifle is pretty ambitious. Go as heavy and as fast as you can and shoot accurately. Wing feathers are very tough and dense. Shooting them in the chest is pretty unproductive. Broadside them just under the wing joint.

Check your local hunting regulations. Here, they have to be taken with a minimum 150 grain pellet of at least 30 caliber or 215 FPE. After hitting them with a .270 and chasing them, please understand how tough the really are. They were plenty dead, they just didn't know it.

My state require archery or shotgun only for spring hunts.

I am planning on starting the spring turkey season here with me Escape using the H&N hunter extreme. Im planning on going for head / neck shots to prevent as much meat damage as possible. I currently have my Escape setup to send these bad boys at around 1010fps Im thinking that should do the trick. If it seems un productive I might just switch up to a traditional shotgun..lol

Albee,

How are you doing? Been awhile since we spoke.

Choosing head and neck shots are great choices. Accuracy over speed/power, as it doesn't take much power to take a turkey. My rule of thumb using my shingle shot .22 edgun, 60 yards and under - head shot directly behind the eye. Anything further it's a neck shot, very forgiving in that it's dead or its not. I would rather miss all together than to wound an animal period.

Your best friends will be a mouth call, not that other calls are bad, it's just that it will leave your hands free and less movement. The other friend I speak of is a range finder. 

I hung up my shotgun years ago for turkey hunting with an air rifle and never looked back, very rewarding. Met for coffee sometime and I'll share some tips with you.

Cheers

Houli 

I am good been busy with work and family. Trying to get ready for turkey. I agree Id rather miss then wound a bird and it run off and feel like I need to track it to finish it. 

I have been practicing with mouth calls for a few month now and Im getting pretty good. Even been playing with coyote calls and got some down too..lol I got myself a range finder also since the last time we spoke and you recommended it. I have been practicing and feel comfortable at 50 yards with my setup, might be able to go a little further but not worth the risk until I get more confident with this rifle.

Albee, good to hear all is well. No doubt your counting the days till season starts! My only purchase has been kuiu camo for the start up season.

Keep in mind, with being camouflaged and making turkey noises, to keep one eye vigilant for the hungry kitty looking for a morsel! I do know of a couple encounters with turkey hunters over the years, but to tell the truth other hunters scare me more!

Let's us know how you do.

Cheers