• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Baracuda 18 VS. Baracuda "Match" 21

Ok, here is my thoughts and experience with H&N 18 and 21g - and I’ll even bring include 15g .22 and 30g .25 caliber…

The 15 and 18s shoot fantastic. I’ve found them to be just as good as JSB 15 and 18s in most rifles (I’ve got 14 PCPs) from most all major manufacturers.

The 15 & 18 H&N Baracuda pellets have the same shape - a blunt, rounded head - very similar to the corresponding JSB pellets.

The 21 and 30g have a more pointed head shape. I would have a great outing with them one day, the next outing with the exact same rifle they would not shoot as well…

Then I noticed (it could be all in my head) that these more pointed H&N were great on calm days, but if any breeze, they wouldn’t do as well. I attribute this to the more pointed shape not being as stable in the wind.

Here is a photo I just took showing the two shapes: 15 & 18 blunt round vs 21 & 30 pointed.

I wish H&N would make the 21 and 30 the same shape as the 15 and 18.

-Ed

IMG_3929.jpeg

Ok, here is my thoughts and experience with H&N 18 and 21g - and I’ll even bring include 15g .22 and 30g .25 caliber…

The 15 and 18s shoot fantastic. I’ve found them to be just as good as JSB 15 and 18s in most rifles (I’ve got 14 PCPs) from most all major manufacturers.

The 15 & 18 H&N Baracuda pellets have the same shape - a blunt, rounded head - very similar to the corresponding JSB pellets.

The 21 and 30g have a more pointed head shape. I would have a great outing with them one day, the next outing with the exact same rifle they would not shoot as well…

Then I noticed (it could be all in my head) that these more pointed H&N were great on calm days, but if any breeze, they wouldn’t do as well. I attribute this to the more pointed shape not being as stable in the wind.

Here is a photo I just took showing the two shapes: 15 & 18 blunt round vs 21 & 30 pointed.

-Ed

View attachment 437414
I tend to agree.
For me the 18 are definitely better than the 21 in wind.
Fortunately a good few of my rifles like both.

So, to clarify this in my own thinking: Are you two reporting
▪︎ less wind drift for the Bc 18
or
▪︎ more precision (smaller groups) for the Bc 18?

If it is less wind drift, that would mean the Baracuda 18 has a better BC than the Baracuda 21....

It seems counterintuitive that 4 additional grains (17%) would not at least maintain the BC — but significantly decrease the BC in comparison to the Bc 18.....

Matthias

I realize that this is an example of one, but from my Weihrauch HW100S the Barracuda Match 21 in the 5.52mm size is significantly more accurate than the Barracuda 18. I would definitely want to try a tin of the heavier pellets before ordering a bunch either weight as it is impossible to be guessing what will perform better from another rifle. The Barracuda Hunter performs poorly from my HW. Just have to try and see. Some pellets you know are going to be outside of the normal usable band for a particular rifle, way too heavy or too light, too long for the magazines, etc. For the ones that are in the approximate normal weight range of the rifle, testing is a must. H&N and JSB are always top competitors.

Ballistic coefficient information that I can find on the Baracuda 18 is .029, while the JSB 18 is .035. Cannot find anything on the Baracuda 15. Baracuda Match 21 gr information says .035 so the nose shape isn't exactly inferior; it has been a much loved pellet for many years. The JSB 18 is the most accurate pellet from my HW100S while the Baracuda Match isn't far off and I could switch without much consideration other than a slight scope adjustment. Both companies make excellent product.

or

If it is less wind drift, that would mean the Baracuda 18 has a better BC than the Baracuda 21....

It seems counterintuitive that 4 additional grains (17%) would not at least maintain the BC — but significantly decrease the BC in comparison to the Bc 18.....

Matthias

It could be all in my head, but the cardboard photo shows my experience with .25 25g JSBs vs. 30g H&N at 100 yards on a breezy day (RTI Prophet with .25 LR barrel). The reactive target is 2 inches diameter.

I didn’t change the tune, so it may be attributed to shooting H&N too slow that day, but you can see the horizontal drift was much greater for H&N that day.

Other targets show some excellent results, for me, at 100 yards with the H&N. Of course, those days I shot slightly higher velocity and there was less wind.

-Ed

IMG_1962.jpeg

RenderedImage.jpeg

IMG_2320.jpeg

Reactions: JungleShooter
or

Matthias
I'll reply,
Definitely less wind drift in my experience.
No theory, no bullpoop, I just watch the 18 fly.
Predicable.
21 gr I've used for.years, wind stops play.

BC has proven nothing with these pellets.
It is a anomaly.

3 chronograph tests, Labrador, and other show consistency. My own chronographs.

Apply all the.theory, listen and study, sometimes the results defy programmed logic.

Just to be polite, no you aren't getting my BC figures, go spend some money.😉

-Ed

View attachment 437414
If we're bringing the 25 Cal into the topic, then I'd have to say that's the 2nd best pellet in my choked Kral jumbo at 850 fps. 2nd only to the JSB 34s. It's barely a noticeable difference between the two. I have zero issue with wind, even out to 75 yards with them.

Definitely less wind drift in my experience. [...]
It is a anomaly. [...]
Just to be polite, no you aren't getting my BC figures, go spend some money.😉

Gary,

thanks for the explain.
"It is an anomaly."

➧ I'm NOT liking it.
➧ But I don't have to "like" anomalies. There just there, like the road sign telling me the bridge wanted to cross fell in the water....

The anomalies of the reported experiences in this thread — and the surprising data of another thread on muzzle energy loss with slugs — both lead me to the conclusion that I need to do MY OWN testing!!

Wait, Gary, you basically told me that in your last sentence...! 😆

Matthias

Reactions: Spinach