Bantam .22 XR

I received a new to me Bantam XR December 28 and after my first shooting session in the back yard, I went inside to look for a shroud to quiet the bark this pcp has. My neighbors are over a hundred yards from me but I still want my pellet guns to be a quiet as possible. After looking for several hours, I came across an ad by Bullysyclone. After talking with him for several minutes of what I wanted made for the bantam, I sent him the Bantam. Just yesterday i received the bantam with a custom shroud and it's awesome. The shroud totally changes the look of the gun, the shroud is shorter than the stock shroud/tatsu combo, and more importantly, the shroud is slightly quieter than the tatsu and night and day quieter than the stock shroud. I highly recommend Bullysyclone if you are looking for a shroud for your pcp.

Untitled-61.1642741926.jpg

Untitled-62.1642741943.jpg

Untitled-63.1642741960.jpg

Untitled-64.1642741972.jpg

Untitled-65.1642741985.jpg

Untitled-66.1642741997.jpg

As for the Bantam XR itself: I'm loving this pcp. I use to own a Bantam and I loved how comfortable it was to shoot but I wished it was regulated. The unregulated shot curve was ok but it could be so much better if it had a reg. The XR has two big pluses: it's regulated and it has a side-lever. After shooting the XR over the chrony, the XR is getting almost a 100 shots from 250 bar to 150 bar which is leaps and bounds over the original Bantam.

For comparison the original Bantam:

49 shots, 190 bar to 140 bar

Averaged 854 fps 25 ft-lbs

ES - 33

SD - 7

The XR's chrono results:

100 shots, 250 bar to 150 bar

Averaged 881 fps 31.25 ft-lbs

ES - 14

SD - 2

So the XR is getting twice the shot count, over 6 ft-lbs of energy, and has a super smooth side-lever. If I could say anything bad about the XR is the trigger is the same for both models and could be better but for hunting it's ok. The synthetic stock feels cheap and the pistol grip is very slippery but I order some Talon grip tape. Although the Huma reg is very efficient, it has to be set very high in order to reach 31.25 ft-lbs. I believe the reg is set about 150 bar.

I like the new shroud very much, but am curious. My Bantam Sniper HR (non XR) sending JSB Exact Jumbo 18s at 875 FPS is backyard quiet with the stock shroud. I ran a Tanto for a while but it was unnecessary and made the gun longer. I'm still loving this gun. Pull it out the safe and just shoot, first shot accurate and dependable. Three years in and still enjoying it very much.

I like the new shroud very much, but am curious. My Bantam Sniper HR (non XR) sending JSB Exact Jumbo 18s at 875 FPS is backyard quiet with the stock shroud. I ran a Tanto for a while but it was unnecessary and made the gun longer. I'm still loving this gun. Pull it out the safe and just shoot, first shot accurate and dependable. Three years in and still enjoying it very much.

The tip of the barrel and the tip of the stock shroud is empty and the end piece looks to be sized for a .30 cal. which made the XR very loud. I can't speak why your Sniper is quieter the XR. I did purchase mine used so maybe it had baffles. IDK.

How is the accuracy with yours?

Mine came with reg set at 130 bar and 18 gr jsb were at 830 fps.I adjusted the reg to 150 to get 885 with the same pellets.But i don't get 100 shoots.

I just got done shooting the XR with JimNM and the XR didn't shoot as good as I was expecting at 50 yards. It might be because I need to clean the barrel again or it might be too cold for shooting. I did shoot the XR over the chrony with a heater. I know I don't get consistent numbers when shooting over the chrony in cold temps.

I filled the XR to 250 bar but I did notice the chrony numbers started to be consistent at about 230 bar to about 155 bar for about 70 shots.

How is the accuracy with yours?

Mine came with reg set at 130 bar and 18 gr jsb were at 830 fps.I adjusted the reg to 150 to get 885 with the same pellets.But i don't get 100 shoots.

I just got done shooting the XR with JimNM and the XR didn't shoot as good as I was expecting at 50 yards. It might be because I need to clean the barrel again or it might be too cold for shooting. I did shoot the XR over the chrony with a heater. I know I don't get consistent numbers when shooting over the chrony in cold temps.

I filled the XR to 250 bar but I did notice the chrony numbers started to be consistent at about 230 bar to about 155 bar for about 70 shots.

Hi wyshadow

Thanks for your reply.The reason i asked you about accuracy is because i am dissapointed with mine.I did get replacement barrel from Brocock but it is more or less the same.The accuracy improved some at 30 y since i increased the reg prresure to 150 bar but i don't have much hope for further ranges because i can see pellets spiraling.

You can see that if you shoot in the clear sky with the sun behind you.I hope you will have better luck and would like to hear more about that when you clean the barrel and do more testing.

Regards Marko

@blejda, at 30 yards in good conditions 1/4" to 1/2" should be the norm. My Bantam does that easily... I take a few shots per night here during the winter because it's too cold for more. My Bantam easily connects with my 3/4" target dots at 40 yards, the casual norm is sub 3/4" groups at that distance. I'm constantly putting my Bantam to the test from 25 to 102 yards, the bulk of the shooting sub 60 yards. I'm still very much impressed with both my Bantam and Compatto's consistent accuracy.

You’re right, my Sniper XR does NOT like the cold (below 25 degrees) either. I have to warm it up to get good accuracy. It also took a while for my LW barrel to break in. Probably around 150-200 pellets before it became really accurate. But now it’s an absolute laser beam. I would also highly recommend getting some CARM magazines for it.

Three days ago I put over 20 cleaning patches through the barrel and got it as clean as possible. Warmer temps and zero wind outside, I quickly checked zero at 30 yards and started shooting to 50 yards. I can say this barrel needs to very very clean in order to shoot great. This is a first for me because every pcp I've had needs the barrel leaded up to have accuracy. 30 yards, the bantam is back to single hole groups and 50 yards is about 3/4 inch with a full mag which is good enough for hunting. I was able to shoot a full mag (10 shots) in to a 1 inch circle with no problems.

30 yards full mag:

Untitled-69.1643235640.jpg

50 yards full mag

Untitled-68.1643235677.jpg

1 Inch hole 50 yards:

Untitled-67.1643235705.jpg

I'm glad this was all that was needed and I can stop eyeing several pcp's in the classifieds.

@blejda, at 30 yards in good conditions 1/4" to 1/2" should be the norm. My Bantam does that easily... I take a few shots per night here during the winter because it's too cold for more. My Bantam easily connects with my 3/4" target dots at 40 yards, the casual norm is sub 3/4" groups at that distance. I'm constantly putting my Bantam to the test from 25 to 102 yards, the bulk of the shooting sub 60 yards. I'm still very much impressed with both my Bantam and Compatto's consistent accuracy.

Hi L.Leon

I would be happy with your results.

But most of my groups at 50y were over an inch.Since i increased the reg pressure accuracy improved some but i will need to do some more testing at 50 and see.Waiting for better weather conditions it is cold and windy those days.

The thing that worries me is that i can see pellets spiralling from both of my barrels.

Regards Marko

Three days ago I put over 20 cleaning patches through the barrel and got it as clean as possible. Warmer temps and zero wind outside, I quickly checked zero at 30 yards and started shooting to 50 yards. I can say this barrel needs to very very clean in order to shoot great. This is a first for me because every pcp I've had needs the barrel leaded up to have accuracy. 30 yards, the bantam is back to single hole groups and 50 yards is about 3/4 inch with a full mag which is good enough for hunting. I was able to shoot a full mag (10 shots) in to a 1 inch circle with no problems.

30 yards full mag:

Untitled-69.1643235640.jpg

50 yards full mag

Untitled-68.1643235677.jpg

1 Inch hole 50 yards:

Untitled-67.1643235705.jpg

I'm glad this was all that was needed and I can stop eyeing several pcp's in the classifieds.

That is great.

A full mag at 50y is respectable.l.I would be happy with that.Enjoy your Bantam.

Regards Marko

@blejda, you are blessed to have eyesight good enough to witness the spiraling you've mentioned. Would be interesting to know the different pellets you've tried. My Bantam is at 150 Bar on the regulator and sends the JSB Exact Jumbos at 870-875 fps. Good luck, Marko, hoping you get it sorted out. The Bantams are known good shooting PCPs.

wyshadow - When I got my Sniper .22 HR Magnum bolt gun the trigger was very good. I was amazed that it came from the factory so light. Well, that didn't last long. After a couple hundred shots it would not cock because the trigger was too light. Had to readjust it heavier and that totally destroyed the feel of the trigger. It was terrible. Took it apart and using a small buffing tool on my Dremel I lightly buffed all the trigger/hammer release sear edges, about 5-6 of them. Did not polish them, just spent about 15 seconds on each to remove "that black coating" at the sear engagement edges. Did not readjust trigger pull from where I had adjusted it heavier and now it is at 8 oz and better than ever. That was a several thousand pellets ago and it has not changed.

They did make a couple different designs of barrel centering rings for the bolt gun. Mine has the older slip ring with no holes in it and it is placed about an inch back from the muzzle. The later ones were screwed onto the end of muzzle and had a few holes in them. Don't know what they are using on the XR guns. On Power Level 1 and without the Sumo mine sounds about like my stock .177 Marauder. With the Sumo about all you hear is the pellet impact.

Blejda - Mine has the polygonal barrel and yes I can see pellets spiraling but I feel it caused by the wrong pellet and/or wrong FPS. 1 out of maybe 25 CDHP 14.3 gr will spiral at 730fps on PL 1, and 8 out of 10 will spiral at 1100fps at PL 6 (don't use that much because of the crack). Can't remember seeing any JSBs spiral.

I find it interesting to be able to see the pellet only when it is spiraling. At 30 yds it usually lands 1/4 to 1/2 outside the group and again usually at 2 o'clock. 

It did require frequent cleaning when new but the more I shoot the less cleaning it needs. Early on I did use some Remington 40-X bore cleaner and think that helped speed thing up.

My regulator is still factory set which according to the gauge is 165-170. It gets 100+ shots at PL1 and 50+ at PL6.

@blejda, you are blessed to have eyesight good enough to witness the spiraling you've mentioned. Would be interesting to know the different pellets you've tried. My Bantam is at 150 Bar on the regulator and sends the JSB Exact Jumbos at 870-875 fps. Good luck, Marko, hoping you get it sorted out. The Bantams are known good shooting PCPs.

Hi L.Leon 

I don't see it when target shooting.Only when shoot in the clear sky with sun behind me in the safe direction.This was with Jsb 18gr and H&n Baracuda 18 gr but i can't know at what range this begins.Since i increased reg pressure to around 150 bar accuracy got better at 30m.

For accuracy testing i also tried Jsb 16gr and Jsb Hades.Average groups 5 shoots at 50y were around 1 inch or slightly bigger with the best pellets but that was before i increased reg pressure and hs tension.

Regards Marko