• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Banned Words

Status
Not open for further replies.
Using a curse word is nothing more than using a word to describe an acceptable word. It simply replaces a 'nice' word with one that is sometimes not acceptable by society in general. It depends on you, the reader/listener if it is offensive or not.
Who made up these rules for 'DIRTY' words? Why is one word not acceptable while a word with the precise same meaning is okay?
To me a word, any word, is a way to describe, nothing more, nothing less. Do you not think of the same item if stated as poop or crap or shyte, for instance?

Reactions: ripping.r
Again I disagree with those that have / offer an excuse for using foul langue in public. In Public. What you say and do in your own environment is your business. But to offer an excuse is the same as the thief who tell you, " hey I needed that item that you worked so hard for" ....:oops: ????? An excuse is an excuse.

Have a most wonderful and pleasant day,
ThomasT

The "F" word have been in the Danish dictionary for years, as i recall since the early 90ties.

1: Used as a curse word to express anger - Contempt - Surprise, or other feeling
1a: Used to say when something are Annoying - Failed - Bad.
1b: Used as a amplifying word paired with who and why to express Contempt - Confusion - and other feelings.

You will find it is very much used here.

I do not curse for the sake of doing that, so i would have "some" work cut out for me if i was to visit American internet friends house.
Just like if i was pulled over in my rental car, getting out of it the second i am stopped as i do not like people hovering above me,,,,, probably not a good idea in the US, but in Denmark even seeing severe increase in gun violence and violence against police,,,, not a problem.

We are all different,,, and i wouldn't have it any other way.

PS. The "S" word have been in the Danish dictionary since 1983. also used a lot here, and i dont think very many would take offence to it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Glem.Chally
Again I disagree with those that have / offer an excuse for using foul langue in public. In Public. What you say and do in your own environment is your business. But to offer an excuse is the same as the thief who tell you, " hey I needed that item that you worked so hard for" ....:oops: ????? An excuse is an excuse.

Have a most wonderful and pleasant day,
ThomasT
You don't have to agree, that's the thing you're missing. If you're going to try to lecture people on how to act "in public" and compare someone swearing to a thief well I don't know what to say. But you're entitled to your opinion.

Have a splendid and over the top great day.

I disagree, just because the TV industry has no morals that should not be the "standard" for the rest of our nation and our great Forum Community. It is not hard for me to express myself "plainly" without the need for foul langue.

Be safe and have a great day,
ThomasT
I agree with this. Just because the entertainment industry has engaged in an effort to destroy western civilization, we don’t need to follow suit. Profanity has its places, but public discourse is not one of them.

The use of unacceptable language does nothing for the collegiality and camaraderie of a forum such as this. As one who has frequented many other types of forums now and in the past, I can attest to a level of rudeness, and sometimes even a thinly veiled malevolence, that I do not see here.

This is a civil, mostly genteel place. Let’s keep it that way.

• Love
Reactions: ThomasT
because of changing vocabularies and the general usage of such language these days, there are situations imho, where it is acceptable if not preferred.
for example, if you injure yourself, and your last words, heard faintly by somebody in another room is "darn!", you may be left for sometime...perhaps dying.
if you use a common expletive, somebody may come and see what happened...

You don't have to agree, that's the thing you're missing. If you're going to try to lecture people on how to act "in public" and compare someone swearing to a thief well I don't know what to say. But you're entitled to your opinion.

Have a splendid and over the top great day.
No, that is what you are missing. This is American and we have the choice to agree or disagree. I choose to disagree. I did not lecture, I express my opinion without any profanity ;).

ThomasT

Reactions: davelarson
Profanity has nothing to do with being rude or civil or intelligent. It’s all about intent and America has missed the boat entirely on intent over the past few years. A blanket ban on anything is never a good thing, it usually puts more people out than making people happy. Everyone has the right to disagree and believe it or not we don’t even have to like each other and that’s ok. I’m going to continue using my awful language except on here and I encourage everyone else to do as they wish.

Have a good weekend everyone, sorry for hitting a ground hornet nest with a weedeater! Stay cool and shoot those Co2 guns lol!

Sometimes the easiest way to handle a problem is to let the user toggle the option. And those poor unfortunate souls whose ears have never burned to the sound of a good profanity can toggle censorship on those of us who are over 13 can toggle it off. I'll be happily surprised if that is the path The forum takes.

Lot of stupid chit happens, Men are boys, and let them be boys, they feel better that way.
Respect your elders and don't cuss in front of women.
Cussing and swearing show a lack of intelligence,we all have lacked it at times, usually when chit happens. like when we have a dumb accident that should have not happened,chit happens.
Cussing and swearing is a reflex that can become a habit,it is not a good habit.
Cussing and swearing show a lack of imagination, like when chit happens.
One problem with wit, you have to be smart to understand it.

Let the man who has no faults at all be the judge.

It is not the word that offends. It is the intent behind the word. You can not censor intent.

We have forgotten the first lesson of kindergarten, "sticks and stones may break my bones but names will never hurt me."

Only a fool believes the use of profanity is a sign of low intelligence. The most intelligent, most dangerous men I have ever known routinely used profanity. It was endemic to their profession. They could also put on a tux and sit down to a polite meal with the Queen.

This is just silly. I cock my BB guns about a hundred times a day. I do not require the help of "word" police.

To be honest it is offensive to be reminded of the profane use of the word by the asterisks every single time someone cocks his BB gun.

I would rather not be reminded of ****s (asterisks self-applied because AI ain't) every time someone says he cocked his BB gun but those asterisks remind me every time.

Last edited:
This has been rather enjoyable reading all the blubbering. Great topic
this topic makes the rounds on various forums regularly.
i find it amusing how many people still equate swearing with low intelligence (it is actually the opposite).
not that i condone swearing in front of kids...but perhaps that is backward boomer thinking now...

like the shopping cart analogy, i believe the kids need to have the discipline to not do things (like swearing) just because they are told it is wrong.
when kids are not taught self restraint for something easy like not saying the f word, what hope do we have that they won't do something they actually get a reward from, like drugs or cheating or stealing?
it is a basic test of character...

but having passed that test as a child, i have nothing to prove now. so eff it!

Status
Not open for further replies.