• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Bam 21 barrel breech issues

Hey fellas I have been working on a bam 21 which is a diana 48 clone from China. The breech of the barrel had been abused somehow and putting a pellet in was impossible. In fact when forced in it would resize the pellet completely. Now I went in by hand and used an Alan wrench wrapped in 500 grit sandpaper as well as a dremel round tip again spun by hand. I can get a pellet in now but it's really hard still. That's after hours of polishing. I tried to remove the barrel from the receiver but i could not figure out how to do that. So my question is this. Do any of you know how to remove the barrel or if not is there a better tool I can use by hand to remove whatever metal is getting in the way? 

like most barrels they are pressed in and is on Diana style guns

no good way that I can think of to fix the barrel breech, it will be all slow hand work, just keep polishing

well what if you took a cleaning rod through the front end connected to a drill with a piece of sand paper on the breech end and spin away

small dowel split cleaning tip

would it work, I have no idea, I never tried

Greetings,

The B21 is a very nice rifle and one that wants to be worked on. I bought one probably 20 years ago and at that time I wasn't so busy and really enjoyed working on it. Thought it didn't have the breach problem yours does, I was tempted to re-barrel it in .20 caliber just for fun. I didn't follow through with that project, but I did come up with what I thought would be a way to manage it. Before I describe this idea, I'd suggest you look into working on the breach of this barrel from the back end, not the muzzle end. Working from the muzzle will ruin the rifling. Removing the trigger assembly, spring and guide, piston and compression tube is pretty straightforward with this rifle. Then you can access the breach of the barrel from the back end. Using a cleaning rod you can hand turn a tool against the breach of the rifle and remove as much material as needed.

It won't be easy to do a great job with this project, but the accuracy of your result will tell you if you have succeeded. My idea for re-barreling would be major surgery, but wouldn't require as much precision as what you are trying to do by hand. My idea is to leave the large original barrel in place and drill it out to accept an insert of a new barrel. 

I didn't complete this project because my B21 responded very well to a shortening and crowning of the barrel along with a few other mods, so i can't tell you everything you would encounter in this project. If opening up the breach of your existing barrel works then that's great and you will have a powerful .177 cal rifle and the pride of having made it work well yourself.

Good Luck