• *Effective 3/27/2024 - The discussion of the creation, fabrication, or modification of airgun moderators is prohibited. The discussion of any "adapters" used to convert an airgun moderator to a firearm silencer will result in immediate termination of the account.*

Ballistol vs Shooters Choice Lead remover

So has anyone used both of these products? Reason I'm asking is something I'm quite curious about. I've used Ballistol for years on airguns and seems to have been a good product and cleaned well. But based on Tom from AAAs recommendation to others I think who were using slugs on best barrel cleaner, I tried shooters choice lead remover. My Evol barrel is 10.5", polished from factory and not choked. 4 groove and probably the only barrel I've owned that been so smooth and consitent. Typical cleaning is 3 patches usually of ballistol with a dry and it's clean. I used the lead remover and I think took me close to 10-12 patches? Had lots of lead come off also. Makes me wonder if the Ballistol has really worked that well before? I've shot slugs through the gun a few times off and on through ownership but not much maybe 100-200 total in the 1.5yrs. But never had that much lead. Unless the JTS pellets I've been shooting lately is leaving lead behind being a harder alloy than JSBs I've been used to shooting? I'm not sure but I did notice lots of lead this time even so that I used a bronze brush to clean after 8 or so patches seeing the lead come out.

Reactions: Long_Gun_Dallas
Hm, I havn't used the lead remover. But typically I will use break free clr for bores as it's just an all around great general cleaning oil. So, I use it to clean other things as well. It's been a long time since I've needed to clean a bore. I rarely shoot slugs, so that would be the main culprit of a dirty bore. But for a slug bore, I do polish it. And after standard cleaning with propper jag, patches, clr. I use gunzilla as the last treatment. I also use this on my powder guns, and on air or powder, accuracy stays up to 2.5-3x longer than without the gunzilla. I know the polishing helps, too.

I do have to wonder if removing ALL of the lead is needed or even desired in an airgun... ? Can't really say either way.

I do use ballistol btw, but I use it where rubber seals are involved.

I recently picked ups small can of Shooters Choice FP-10. Seems to do a very good job. After I clean, I run a couple patches of Finish Line Dry (teflon). Seems to keep the barrel cleaner than if I don't use it. I also have taken the external moderator off. I think using a moderator can "blow back" lead dust backwards.

So has anyone used both of these products? Reason I'm asking is something I'm quite curious about. I've used Ballistol for years on airguns and seems to have been a good product and cleaned well. But based on Tom from AAAs recommendation to others I think who were using slugs on best barrel cleaner, I tried shooters choice lead remover. My Evol barrel is 10.5", polished from factory and not choked. 4 groove and probably the only barrel I've owned that been so smooth and consitent. Typical cleaning is 3 patches usually of ballistol with a dry and it's clean. I used the lead remover and I think took me close to 10-12 patches? Had lots of lead come off also. Makes me wonder if the Ballistol has really worked that well before? I've shot slugs through the gun a few times off and on through ownership but not much maybe 100-200 total in the 1.5yrs. But never had that much lead. Unless the JTS pellets I've been shooting lately is leaving lead behind being a harder alloy than JSBs I've been used to shooting? I'm not sure but I did notice lots of lead this time even so that I used a bronze brush to clean after 8 or so patches seeing the lead come out.
I will be testing shooters choice on a very leaded superior heavy liner. This one only sees Altaros ATP's which are very soft. A previous session with ballistol patches took more effort than I recall when cleaning my TJ's barrels once they are in similar condittion. I ordered some shooters choice lead remover, hopefully it arrives before the weekend. I will share my experience, but it will be a bit subjective as I do not invest much effort towards a truly scientific data collection/comparison process.....that would make it all too much like work, lol...

I tried the shooters choice Lead Remover. Wet a patch, scrubbed to bore a bit. Followed up with a wet brush, then a series of dry patches and 1-2 more wet ones in the mix.

Most of the lead seemed to come out on the first wet patch, then the patch after the wet brush.

I'll have to use it a few more times to get a good feel for how it compares to ballistol. At this point I do not see any reason why not to use Lead Remover.

Reactions: Dairyboy
I've used the SC for years on PB's, it works great. For my rimfires I use Bore-Tech, and it works great. I'm going to give that a try, might be a good consideration for people who use any type wax to lubricate their pellets.

So many people keep strictly to "safe" cleaners in their airguns. For regular maintenance I use the safe stuff. I live in Florida near the coast, so I always have to keep ahead of corrosion. If my accuracy is going down, I subscribe to the method of taking it apart and removing any o-rings, then cleaning. I only do it if I feel there needs to be a thorough cleaning.

Does SC degrade O rings?
I’d say yes, if used remove all o rings.

IMG_9770.png

Regarding the damage to Orings... call me crazy, but I remove barrels prior to cleaning anyway. For my FX liners, I put them in a spare barrel housing so I can safely clamp them in my vise. Clean using a rod, jag, bronze brush, and patches, only crossing the crown in the same direction as a projectile travels.

I had another opportunity to test Shooter's Choice Lead Remover today. This was a fairly leaded STX Superior Heavy .25.

A few shots before:

1696687596948.png

1696687712844.png

1696687734618.png

Then scrub with 1 wet patch, 1 wet brush, 1 dry patch, 1 wet patch, 2 dry patches, then 1 acetone patch followed by 2 dry patches. I do the acetone and dry patches prior to a liberal mopping with Trewax.

The bulk of the cleaning occured in the first 3 steps.

1696688105518.png

1696687822344.png

1696687835303.png

1696687863498.png

1696687901612.png

1696687914916.png

Reactions: mcoulter
I've been shooting slugs exclusively for years. I use this product:

Followed up by MP-5 oil.

If you really want to go crazy with the cleaning, use Slip 725, Flitz, then MP-5 oil:

I have Ballistol, but only use it as a protectant, such as on wood stocks and exterior metal.

If you don't have a borescope, get one. Not sure what Mr. Mackerel has, but for the cost now a Teslong USB is a no brainer...

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07TTQF24F?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share
That's the model I have, x2, they have been somewhat abused for a couple of years now. Im sure there are better units available, but likely at a higher cost point. Great customer service as well, the light stopped working on one and the seller was very quick to send a replacement.

Reactions: mcoulter