Ballistol & Dieseling/detonation

Shooting the R9 today. Accuracy seemed to be dropping off so cleaned the barrel. Ballistol on a nylon brush followed by a pull thru mop and finished with cleaning pellets till they came out clean. Gave the breech/hinge area a quick spay as well and wiped it clean and dry as I could.

Loaded a pellet and thought I had just fired my 10/22 in my basement. Loud as a PB. The pellet hole in the target has a wide black soot ring around it. Second and following shot velocities and accuracy were normal so I know I didn't immediately blow a seal or do some other obvious damage. I suspect a drop or two got into the piston cylinder when I gave the breech a quick spray. I know the barrel was dry and the breech area was wiped dry.

I know Ballistol is not petroleum based but apparantly it can diesel/detonate.

Reactions: Sqwirl57
Strangely…pcps can also detonate. I didn’t believe it could happen until I put a balanced full bore ported valve in my slug gun and fired using a lube concocted of some lowish flash point ingredients. Smelled like burnt jet fuel and produced some rather high velocities. Was kind of neat.

Mike

Run the gun over a chronograph. The Weihrauch piston seals are very prone to ruptures when detonated. Even once. Unfortunately I've proved that more than once. 😒
I just did. Ran a 10 shot group and compared it to another with CPHP 7.9gr pellets from a month ago.

Before: 943 fps MV avg, SD 7.0 fps, spread 23 fps
After: 937 fps MV, SD 7.8 fps, spread 29 fps

Very slight velocity and consistancy drop. May be statistically insignificant. Will keep an eye on it.

Hmmm... If the light just right it really dont matter of what i use . The first few shots (3?) i can see a slight wiff of " smoke" out the muzzle. I figure its missed residue in the riffling ?. I guess id draw concern if it did not clear fast.
I was shootng my HW30 and TX200 yesterday. When I open the breach of the TX200 a puff of smoke comes out. Not massive amounts. It's still relatively new, maybe only 100-150 pellets through it so far. Don't notice it with the HW30, even when it was brand new.

The Ballistol I have is the 6 oz aerosol, it is marked "EXTREMELY FLAMABLE". I noticed that the non-aerosol containers are just marked "Combustible"... so maybe the aerosol propellent adds to its flamable nature, but either way I guess it will cause detonation / dieseling in a springer. Use with caution :rolleyes:.

Reactions: Ezana4CE
I've owned springers that have dropped about 10 fps after cleaning the barrel.
Probably due to increased friction from cleaning out lubricating grease molecules.
Myself, after cleaning the barrel, I Run a single patch down the barrel with one
drop of silicone chamber oil on it. Velocities were then back to where they were. Even
after many shots and produced no dieseling.

The Ballistol I have is the 6 oz aerosol, it is marked "EXTREMELY FLAMABLE". I noticed that the non-aerosol containers are just marked "Combustible"... so maybe the aerosol propellent adds to its flamable nature, but either way I guess it will cause detonation / dieseling in a springer. Use with caution :rolleyes:.
No idea what they use for propellant, but some aerosols use propane as a propellant.

I just did. Ran a 10 shot group and compared it to another with CPHP 7.9gr pellets from a month ago.

Before: 943 fps MV avg, SD 7.0 fps, spread 23 fps
After: 937 fps MV, SD 7.8 fps, spread 29 fps

Very slight velocity and consistancy drop. May be statistically insignificant. Will keep an eye on it.
Your good. If you hurt the seal significantly you'd lose a lot more velocity and the ES would be greater. The spring life might be slightly shortened. I wouldn't worry about it. The OE Weihrauch springs don't last long anyway

Your good. If you hurt the seal significantly you'd lose a lot more velocity and the ES would be greater. The spring life might be slightly shortened. I wouldn't worry about it. The OE Weihrauch springs don't last long anyway
OK, that's encouraging to hear. Yeah, I reckon I ought to pickup some spare parts for the HW30, R9, & TX200. Is there a recommended "one stop shop" for springer parts?

OK, that's encouraging to hear. Yeah, I reckon I ought to pickup some spare parts for the HW30, R9, & TX200. Is there a recommended "one stop shop" for springer parts?
Not really. I source my parts from several places because I use a lot of aftermarket tuning components.

For OE parts I order from Chambers Gunspares in the UK. They will have just about everything you need and send you genuine parts. Pyramid Air has some parts but has substituted inferior parts on me more often than not. AoA carries some Weihrauch parts as well. Not sure about the AA. AoA has been good for me.

Some aftermarket parts are often better performing. I only use Vortek Piston seals. They are durable and idiot proof. For spring tune kits I use either Air Rifle Headquarters or Vortek depending on application. I order the parts from their website.

HTH

Well badger..lol
Today i used brasso to clean a barrel with patches.

Now im not doing a recommendation, but the can was just sitting there begging me to try it out for that..

All i can see from it is that stuff cuts crud and its a polish .

After cleaning it i took shots and all seemed good to go.

Man i can stoop to any level.😜

Reactions: fishing43
Not really. I source my parts from several places because I use a lot of aftermarket tuning components.

For OE parts I order from Chambers Gunspares in the UK. They will have just about everything you need and send you genuine parts. Pyramid Air has some parts but has substituted inferior parts on me more often than not. AoA carries some Weihrauch parts as well. Not sure about the AA. AoA has been good for me.

Some aftermarket parts are often better performing. I only use Vortek Piston seals. They are durable and idiot proof. For spring tune kits I use either Air Rifle Headquarters or Vortek depending on application. I order the parts from their website.

HTH
Thanks, vendors noted.

Well badger..lol
Today i used brasso to clean a barrel with patches.

Now im not doing a recommendation, but the can was just sitting there begging me to try it out for that..

All i can see from it is that stuff cuts crud and its a polish .

After cleaning it i took shots and all seemed good to go.

Man i can stoop to any level.😜
Well.. OK. I use brasso for.. well, brass and copper. I don't think it's effective on steel and iron. Did the patches come out dirty as if it was removing stuff?