Ballistics software Mac compatible... ChairGun is gone.

I have been a huge fan and long user of the Chairgun software since the mid 2000's. Still have it on my iPhone and use it regularly. Had it on my older 2012 MacBook Pro now have a new MacMini and would like to install it here as well but it seems to have disappeared off the internet. ChairGun was, in my humble opinion, probably the most useful tool for setting up, tuning our air guns for the varying missions especially for determining optimum optic zero for a given pellet, at what speed, at what height above bore centerline to maximize shooting distance at optic center and/or what hold over/under at what ranges, printable dope card for most scope reticles to fit in the scope cap.... the list goes on and on.
Would think some 15+ years later there would be even more software that is more capable and even more user friendly, at least some updated version of ChairGun, but not really finding any available?

What are you gents using now?

Tia,
Paul

***EDIT***
Reached out to Hawke/ChairGun and promptly received a very nice and thorough reply, in short they are no longer supporting the software but did include links to the legacy software. Sadly once I was able to get legacy ChairGun installed, it is not compatible with Mac OS 11.4 BigSur so will not open.
Have iStrelok, only used a few times over the past few years for some AR builds and .17"HMR SageRat rigs. For the airguns I much prefer the ease and graphical representation that ChairGun provided for optimal zero distances with varying amounts of pellet rise across center, etc.

Last edited:
i have several older programs i use on an old xp puter, simple solution, keep the old machine just for that .. most ridiculous thing they do is try to phase out older hardware, makes no sense ... id do something ive literally never done if someone continued to write software for it .. actually buy it .. i know those older programs and os's inside and out and dont need the new machines for anything but current video editing, just give me a updated browser that works right with my old amd and xp and im all set lol .. chairgun works good on it though, i got it set up right by my shootin window lol ..

Reactions: BRAAP
I feel the same regarding ChairgunPro. I use it mostly to get an idea of what a particular gun does with various pellets before going afield.

I am under the impression that "Java" is required for it to function on Windows10 and that's the only reason I have Java installed on my desktop PC. I've never owned any other operating system so can't say what differences there are but it might be worth adding Jave (if possible) to your PC.

Bummer! I too have it on an older iphone....I just know if I upgrade to another phone it might not upload and work on the newer software and hardware....😢
Yes. If you upgrade to a new iPhone, you will definitely lose the Chairgun app. Even if you "backup" your iPhone to the Cloud, you will still lose the app. This is because Apple does not "backup" your apps, they backup "placeholders" to things that are in their app store..not the actual app itself.

If you switch to a new phone like I did (iPhone7 to14) and then restore from a iCloud backup, you will end up with a Chairgun icon on your phone. When you click the icon, you will get a message saying "this app is no longer available in the app store".

Fortunately for me, I have an older iPad with Chairgun on it..but it does not works as well with some of the cool features as the iPhone did...gggrrrrr.

I have been a huge fan and long user of the Chairgun software since the mid 2000's. Still have it on my iPhone and use it regularly. Had it on my older 2012 MacBook Pro now have a new MacMini and would like to install it here as well but it seems to have disappeared off the internet. ChairGun was, in my humble opinion, probably the most useful tool for setting up, tuning our air guns for the varying missions especially for determining optimum optic zero for a given pellet, at what speed, at what height above bore centerline to maximize shooting distance at optic center and/or what hold over/under at what ranges, printable dope card for most scope reticles to fit in the scope cap.... the list goes on and on.
Would think some 15+ years later there would be even more software that is more capable and even more user friendly, at least some updated version of ChairGun, but not really finding any available?

What are you gents using now?

Tia,
Paul
If you have the app installed on a MacBook Pro and a Mac Mini, then you may have all you need to move the software.

The "not compatible with 11.4 BigSur" error message may just be an install program error.

Try this.

Look in the Applications folder on one of the Macs you already have a working version of ChairGun. Look for the ChairGun app. Copy the ChairGun app from the Applications folder to a backup media. Copy the app from the backup media directly to the new Mac with BigSur.

Apple apps are all set up as stand-alone "bundles". Think of them as a Windows directory/sub-directory type structure. They usually have everything you need to run on a new system or OS version.

Again, this may not work, but it's worth a try.

Try this site for a full set of free airgun ballistic software, very similar to Chairgun.

I will go play with those.

Thank you for sharing this,
Paul

***edit***
Downloaded MERO, definitely similar to Chairgun and is more than adequate for setting up optics on various rigs, LOVE the features, great program.

Thank you again,
Paul

Last edited:
Reactions: JungleShooter
If you have the app installed on a MacBook Pro and a Mac Mini, then you may have all you need to move the software.

The "not compatible with 11.4 BigSur" error message may just be an install program error.

Try this.

Look in the Applications folder on one of the Macs you already have a working version of ChairGun. Look for the ChairGun app. Copy the ChairGun app from the Applications folder to a backup media. Copy the app from the backup media directly to the new Mac with BigSur.

Apple apps are all set up as stand-alone "bundles". Think of them as a Windows directory/sub-directory type structure. They usually have everything you need to run on a new system or OS version.

Again, this may not work, but it's worth a try.
I may try that.

Thank you,
Paul

With permission from Amy at Hawke, here is her reply regarding ChairGun;;;

***quote***
Thank you for inquiring about our ballistic calculators. At the end of 2018 we ended support for our Chairgun and X-Act software. These desktop and smartphone apps will no longer be updated or supported by Hawke. They may continue to work for some time, but as operating systems are updated we cannot guarantee this.

Why did we do this?

We pioneered ballistics software over ten years ago and were the first optics brand to develop our own ballistics apps, which we made available free of charge. The original Chairgun software (which we acquired) predated even this. Since then, there have been huge developments in two key areas:
  • First, our reticles have become self-explanatory and easier to use with natural aim points.
  • Second, the software platforms have become ever more complex and difficult to support.
We've taken a strategic decision to leave ballistic software to the large community of developers out there so we can concentrate on what we do best: making great optics.

What can you do now?

There are a large and growing number of apps on the market which we think do a great job in helping the shooter with aiming and ballistics. We recommend you check them out. Our favorite at the moment is Strelok Pro, but there are also others available.

If you wish to still use our reticle programs, You may download legacy versions from these links:

Hawke X-Act

Mac OS - https://www.hawkeoptics.com/downloads/X-ACT_MAC.zip
Windows PC - https://www.hawkeoptics.com/downloads/X-ACT_PC.zip
Apple Iphone - https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/x-act/id1115734832?mt=8
Android - https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.hawke.xact

Chair Gun Pro

Mac OS - https://www.hawkeoptics.com/downloads/ChairGun-MAC.zip
Windows PC - https://www.hawkeoptics.com/downloads/ChairGun-PC.zip
Apple Iphone - https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/chairgun/id452678680?mt=8
Android - https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.hawke.chairgun

Please let us know if you have additional questions and have a great day,
--
Amy Hurst
Customer Support (300015)
Hawke USA
[email protected]

***end quote***

Yes. If you upgrade to a new iPhone, you will definitely lose the Chairgun app. Even if you "backup" your iPhone to the Cloud, you will still lose the app. This is because Apple does not "backup" your apps, they backup "placeholders" to things that are in their app store..not the actual app itself.

If you switch to a new phone like I did (iPhone7 to14) and then restore from a iCloud backup, you will end up with a Chairgun icon on your phone. When you click the icon, you will get a message saying "this app is no longer available in the app store".

Fortunately for me, I have an older iPad with Chairgun on it..but it does not works as well with some of the cool features as the iPhone did...gggrrrrr.
Oh man...mine is an iphone 7 plus....Chairgun is doomed for me! LOL! 😢

Try this site for a full set of free airgun ballistic software, very similar to Chairgun.

Ballisticboy,
Thank you again, that link is PERFECT! :cool:

Been poking about in the MERO and Validate apps, AMAZING!(y) Far more powerful than I originally was giving it credit, in my short bit of time dinking with it getting comfortable with its layout and user interface I am starting to like it more than ChairGun. If they add the ability to overlay multiple combinations to compare in graphical plot and table screens for comparing varying velocities, pellets, scope heights, etc, and maybe add a switch to be able to decouple the "Impact Zone" from "Near/Far Zero" calcs just to play with those two outside of optimal would be fun.

For anyone missing ChairGun, I STRONGLY suggest the GPC Software. They have a few different apps that are very helpful, a PCP fill app, the "Validate" App, are quite useful.

Ballisticboy,
Thank you again, that link is PERFECT! :cool:

Been poking about in the MERO and Validate apps, AMAZING!(y) Far more powerful than I originally was giving it credit, in my short bit of time dinking with it getting comfortable with its layout and user interface I am starting to like it more than ChairGun. If they add the ability to overlay multiple combinations to compare in graphical plot and table screens for comparing varying velocities, pellets, scope heights, etc, and maybe add a switch to be able to decouple the "Impact Zone" from "Near/Far Zero" calcs just to play with those two outside of optimal would be fun.

For anyone missing ChairGun, I STRONGLY suggest the GPC Software. They have a few different apps that are very helpful, a PCP fill app, the "Validate" App, are quite useful.
I will pass on your message to George Conway, he is always asking for suggestions on improvements.

Heads up for Mac users with the new Apple Silicon M1 and M2 chip sets, GPC software is aware that the software has a bit of noticeable lag during start up and between input-to-output of the data changes. Just give it a few extra seconds it does work wonderfully just a bit laggy, (Intel based Mac machines perform just fine).