• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!
  • The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Ballistics apps?

I use ChairGun only to determine optimum zero. From there, I may shoot 3-5 shot groups (typically beyond my zero) every 2-3 yards and mark my scope wheel tape accordingly for holdovers.
For XFT I have used a range card but I'm going to switch over to a marked wheel soon.
I feel I need to have real world reliable results.
So you would basically just get rid of your range card and just have your range on your wheel with your hold over then dial? For XFT that is?

I started in FT a few years ago just manually figuring my dope by shooting targets at the various 10-55 yd distances but at a few of my first matches I noticed several of the competitors using Strelok and I think it was Ben S. that convinced me to give it a try. For me Strelok has been a time and pellet saver in setting up my dope for hunter FT and XFT. I adjust the BC and scope height in Strelok for the far and near shots respectively, and do some verification shots at the other yardages and am usually good to go.

Reactions: Arzrover
I shoot Hunter Division AAFTA and with fixed 16x magnification, it is far better to shoot pellets to determine holdovers at various distances. I've compared my results to Strelok and ChairGun, and found my pellets (AA 10.3) drop less than the apps for both published BCs and my chrono-based BC calcs. After adjusting the BC in the apps to the actual drop at 55 yards, the apps and my real world results match up nicely for other distances. Bottom line is that I trust only real world holdover data.

I have used the apps to estimate horizontal and vertical drift from winds. The apps agree on the horizontal drift impacts. I don't have enough bench time to make firm conclusions on whether the apps are giving good guidance but they seem to over-estimate wind effects, even with the real-world adjusted BC.

Only Strelok estimates the vertical deflection impact of side winds, albeit in a very simple way. But:
- Strelok's estimate of this is wrong. Strelok assumes bullets and diabolo pellets drift in the same direction, which is not true since pellets have the center of pressure behind the center of gravity (opposite bullets). The fix is to specify the opposite twist direction of the barrel in the app
- Vertical deflection might be significant at long distances but not so much for FT distances, so I ignore this adjustment anyway.

Do you find you get highly accurate results from Strelok and ChairGun for your pellets with no calibrations? What source do you use for BCs?

Reactions: thane and LNielsen
Here is a bookmark I have saved describing how a couple top shooters using Chairgun set their dope.

With the original question posed here I wasn't implying that there is a wrong or a right way to do it, I was simply curious to know if we collectively lean heavy on apps or if many of us shoot the distances.

I personally have done both, but I prefer to shoot all the distances. Well, not ALL the distances, but at each yard from 10-20 and then typically from 5 yard increments out to 55. It's also nice to know exactly at what distance you need a click or two transitioning into and out of the yardages that coincide with the scope's zero, so I'll investigate those distances with fired pellets too.

One of the nice things about shooting all the distances is that it's practice, and it builds confidence.

On the flip side....I've been able to get ballistic apps to match my actual trajectory, but only after I've shot the actual distances and played with the apps parameters. I've not ever been able to get to EXACTLY my trajectories starting from the app, close yes, but not exact.

Reactions: thane and qball
We have been using apps to set up the charts for a LONG time... still have a DOS version. I run the app and then we verify. As @Aimright says, it's a pellet saver. I normally verify 3 points and it's typically good... a zero(peak of trajectory), short, and long.
I have Stelok and Chairgun but since Steve123 showed me Shooter, that's what I primarily use. It doesn't have all the scope holdover graphs but I don't use that anyway. Could be familiarity but it's the easiest to navigate for me and can store a LOT of configurations . Since I change barrels and calibers so often, it's wonderful to have that computing power. On good days, I might be prepared enough to actually write down the data and not use my phone but I end up using it too much. The 2021 Az State match was quite a downpour and it was difficult to keep anything dry so I did NOT use my phone for that.
I LIKE em 😁
Bob

Reactions: qball and LNielsen
Like many I use Strelok pro to get started but I wouldn't say it's a pellet saver for me since I validate the table/trajectory at every possible point on paper. There are a LOT of variables contributes to the result for ballistic calculation so while it will get you up and running quickly but it can also lead you wrong just as quickly. If you don't know all the variables and don't know how they affect the trajectory and how to correct them it's a lot easier to just shoot every yard at 10-20 and every 5 yards out to 55 yards with a paper target on a small wheeled cart pulled in by a long ruler. You can true up your ranging/distance markers at the same time.

While using ballistic apps seems like "cheating" to some but it actually is a different skillset to work the ballistic calculator correctly and honestly doesn't save THAT much time or pellet since I have to validate my range/distance markings anyways along with trajectory many times over.