Ballistic Coefficient measurements for some .22 and .30

It was really windy and swirling yesterday so I dug out the Labradar and a bunch of pellets and collected some data. I was particularly curious about the various MRD varieties and the new 28.5gr Grands.

These were all shots into the far dirt bank at 110y with the Labradar set to collect various downrange velocities. As you may know, LR can record some spurious velocities at the long end and I used my best judgment to omit those numbers.

Interesting that for most of these, both the GA and G1 models did not hold well over range. The short, chunky Griffin 56's and FX 44.8's were the only ones that really showed the 'same' BC from 20 to 100y.

I believe that some of these projectiles were losing stability. The Griffin 56's were probably not being pushed hard enough and shooting at a 60y target showed that they would mostly group well with a few veering way off. The RAW shoots the 44.8gr pellets well and the above-book BC value agrees with that.

Summary 2.png

Last edited:
There looks to be something wrong with your GA values. None of them should be that high. For example, the 25.4 grain .22 MRD should be around 0.05 max, not 0.135-0.185 for the different types.

GA should not be used for slugs, particularly anything with a boat tail. SLG1 could be tried for those, or possibly G7. (G1 is not suitable either)

Reactions: Centercut
There looks to be something wrong with your GA values. None of them should be that high. For example, the 25.4 grain .22 MRD should be around 0.05 max, not 0.135-0.185 for the different types.

GA should not be used for slugs, particularly anything with a boat tail. SLG1 could be tried for those, or possibly G7. (G1 is not suitable either)

The columns labeled G1 look pretty reasonable/realistic for GA based BCs from the pellets he tested. Not sure what's going on in the GA columns. Typically, there's a neglible difference between a GA and G1 BC from pellets when real world speeds from two distances are plugged into various calculators.

Last edited:

Thank you for pointing that out Miles. I have no intuitive feel for GA numbers and when they calculated to be the same as G1 I began to suspect they were incorrect. I now updated the table to using GAs calculated from Chairgun Pro.

At first, I used Chairgun Pro to calculate G1 and GA, and the numbers were so similar I wasn't sure if the software was being buggy. (Chairgun Pro on the iPhone definitely has some weird interface bugs) So the first set of GAs came from Chairgun Elite in the utilities section. Lesson learned - Chairgun Elite BC calculator is wrong for the GA model.

Last edited: