• The AGN App is ready! To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Ballistic air gun program like Chairgun

Sorry about that! 😞

I hope GPC or Strelok Pro works out for you.

The link for the GPC website is:
It mentions the following Apple operating systems — I'm totally unfamiliar with iPhone, sorry.

• "OSX 10.8 (Mountain Lion), 10.9 (Mavericks), 10.10 (Yosemite), 10.11 (El Capitan), macOS 10.12 (Sierra), 10.13 (High Sierra), macOS 10.14 (Mojave), Catalina 10.15, Big Sur 11.6.5, Monterey 12.3 - all 64-bit. "

Cheers, 😊

Matthias

Sorry about that! 😞

I hope GPC or Strelok Pro works out for you.

The link for the GPC website is:
It mentions the following Apple operating systems — I'm totally unfamiliar with iPhone, sorry.

• "OSX 10.8 (Mountain Lion), 10.9 (Mavericks), 10.10 (Yosemite), 10.11 (El Capitan), macOS 10.12 (Sierra), 10.13 (High Sierra), macOS 10.14 (Mojave), Catalina 10.15, Big Sur 11.6.5, Monterey 12.3 - all 64-bit. "

Cheers, 😊

Matthias
Thx for the link..

I have the official download for OSX ChairGun.

I still have ChairGun on an aging iPad..but that's not going to fit in my pocket in the field like an iPhone. :-( I'm going to research copying device to device iPad to iPhone..will probably be a dead end.

I'm on the verge of rolling my own airgun ballistic app..grrr. I'm sure there are some differences between airgun and archery ballistics.. but the drag formulas and calculations for pellets and slugs must be easier than arrows.

Last edited:
Using Strelok for some time, on my tablet which is always with me at the BR and I am pretty happy with it.
I was also eyeing the tapes for scope turrets for long, and decided making couple for my scopes. For the tapes people here on the forum recommended Chairgun. That was quiet an experience, but finally I made it work.
The trick is, Chargun was built for a 32 bit Windows, no problem, but on Win10 the Java comes default 64 bit, that need to be replaced to 32 bit.
Second, since the Chairgun support stopped back in time there are some new scopes on the market with different MRAD / MILL / MOA numbers/clicks, so it was really challenging for me because I never thought about it before but happened to have a scope from each.
Finally I got my turret tapes, but really wish if Strelok have an option the print them out directly from that app.

Ronald, 😊

🔸ChairGun for Windows should work just fine on your computer. Just download it from the link already provided above.

🔹ChairGun Mobile is very limited in comparison to the Windows version. And is getting more and more buggy, as mobile operating systems evolve.

🔸Strelok (free; for mobile) is a good program for use in the field to calculate trajectories for your shots as the present themselves.
Strelok Pro is worth the extra $10 (not sure of the exact price anymore).
Strelok Plus is only slightly cheaper, get the real thing, go Pro.
▪ Especially if you use the reticle to adjust your point of aim Strelok Pro is unbeatable — every week the developer adds new reticles to it — there are hundreds!!
▪ Extraordinary feature for longe range shooting — that require precise BC data: The app allows you to either enter your own custom drag profile (derived from your BC testing, this is Labradar's playground). Or, you can enter up to 5 different BC's — each cued to a different projectile velocity (cf. Bob Sterne's BC tests showing the BC variations with the GA drag profile when using JSB domes, for example).

🔸The new kid on the ballistic calculator block is an app by an airgun enthusiast from the UK, G. P. Conway: GPC Ballistics Applications.
It's a full suite, for Windows, Android, iOS, Linux.❗
Free! 😊
He did the app for the fun of it — and it has some functions that Strelok Pro sorely lacks, for example, BC calculations using the GA drag model, interior ballistics off PCPs, and other goodies, cf. screenshots below.

Link for the download:

Matthias

View attachment 281284View attachment 281287

View attachment 281288

View attachment 281289

View attachment 281290

View attachment 281291

View attachment 281292

View attachment 281293
The link you provided does not work for me.

No problem, found the other link that does work and found that I already had it bookmarked in my browser. (smile)

I'm sure there are some differences between airgun and archery ballistics.. but the drag formulas and calculations for pellets and slugs must be easier than arrows.
The aerodynamic calculations for pellets are certainly not more simple than they are for arrows. Arrow aerodynamics are similar to tank long rod aerodynamics (though a lot slower of course unless you are built like superman) and relatively simple. Slugs are simpler in some ways, but have their own complications. The ballistic equations of motion are just the same for everything, it is the input data which changes.

Reactions: bigHUN
Miles, 😊

thanks for chiming in. 👍🏼

🔸️And thank you for serving our AG community by investing a lot of time to research drag laws for both pellets and slugs
▪︎ to improve on our venerable but weak GA drag law, and
▪︎ to give us the world's first drag law for airgun slugs.

🔸️Both of those drag laws are available on the GPC ballistic calculator — coded by another airgunner who serves our AG community: G. P. Conway.

🔸️For those unfamiliar with Miles... — he has thousands of posts on UK forums.

❌ And his profile reads:
"Retired aeroballistician who worked for 40 years on research, design and testing of the external ballistics of gun fired projectiles."

It's great to have you here, Miles! 😊

Matthias

The aerodynamic calculations for pellets are certainly not more simple than they are for arrows. Arrow aerodynamics are similar to tank long rod aerodynamics (though a lot slower of course unless you are built like superman) and relatively simple.
A 2712 x7 with 5" feathers is different from a 2014 x7 with 3" vanes is different than a ACE 370 with 1.5" vanes is different than...

There are approximately 3900 different shafts, all with different ODs..cut to lengths varying from 24"-32"..with Grains Per Inch varying from 4gpi to 16gpi..total arrow weights from ~300grs to over 1000grs. There are approximately 300 different vane sizes and shapes, all of varying length, height, and surface area. There are approximately 50 different feather sizes and shapes, all of varying length, height, and surface area. Vanes and feathers may be attached to the shaft straight, straight with offset, or helical. The offset can be anything from 0-6 degrees. The amount of offset or helical determines how the fletching surface area affects the spin rate of the arrow. Point weights from 50gr to 400grs..will change the FOC (center of gravity) of the arrow. Different fletching weights also affect the FOC. The arrow velocity for hand drawn bows varies from around 150fps to over 350fps.

I guess I'm over thinking this.

A 2712 x7 with 5" feathers is different from a 2014 x7 with 3" vanes is different than a ACE 370 with 1.5" vanes is different than...

There are approximately 3900 different shafts, all with different ODs..cut to lengths varying from 24"-32"..with Grains Per Inch varying from 4gpi to 16gpi..total arrow weights from ~300grs to over 1000grs. There are approximately 300 different vane sizes and shapes, all of varying length, height, and surface area. There are approximately 50 different feather sizes and shapes, all of varying length, height, and surface area. Vanes and feathers may be attached to the shaft straight, straight with offset, or helical. The offset can be anything from 0-6 degrees. The amount of offset or helical determines how the fletching surface area affects the spin rate of the arrow. Point weights from 50gr to 400grs..will change the FOC (center of gravity) of the arrow. Different fletching weights also affect the FOC. The arrow velocity for hand drawn bows varies from around 150fps to over 350fps.

I guess I'm over thinking this.
The number of variations does not make the aerodynamics more complicated, you will still use the same methods and assumptions for all the calculations, which may be numerous but still relatively simple. The speed range is also not a problem, as there are no major changes in the air's behaviour over those speeds. Changes in the CG position do not affect the aerodynamic forces, and aerodynamic moment changes for stability calculations can be easily calculated through simple maths.

Pellets also have many different shapes, but worst of all the combination of a pellets speed and size causes major problems in the behaviour of the aerodynamics which, combined with the Mach number effects as the speeds approach Mach 1, can make accurate prediction of the aerodynamics a real pain in the posterior.

So, given the choice, I would rather produce the aerodynamic predictions for a low speed fin stabilized projectile any day, rather than for a flare stabilized projectile flying at awkward Reynolds numbers at speeds approaching Mach 1.

Not to mention that Chairgun Pro is made to work with Windows. Strelok, not so much... it is mainly designed for "Android smart phones"... which I refuse to own. Too much tracking of my life that I can't turn off reliably with a "smart" phone.

Call me paranoid... until you get hit... hit with personal info you never knew you had exposed that is... and you probably didn't expose it knowingly... but who ACTUALLY READS the EULA agreements... (chuckle/heavy sigh)
This is true. I have an android phone and it listens to me while it's off. I often get you tube and marketing suggestions for something I've never shown any remote interest in but mentioned in passing once.

If you think our phones aren't tracking us and listening for key words and phrases for the likes of the FB I, DHS and Alphabet org you'd be foolish. I have to keep my phone until next year when I retire to rural AR. Then I'll smash it and go dark. I've had enough of being tracked and spied on in the name of marketing and security.

This is true. I have an android phone and it listens to me while it's off. I often get you tube and marketing suggestions for something I've never shown any remote interest in but mentioned in passing once.

If you think our phones aren't tracking us and listening for key words and phrases for the likes of the FB I, DHS and 3 letter organization you'd be foolish. I have to keep my phone until next year when I retire to rural AR. Then I'll smash it and go dark. I've had enough of being tracked and spied on in the name of marketing and security.

Hey at least they got rid of all the crime!

Oh wait...

If you think our phones aren't tracking us and listening for key words and phrases for the likes of the FB I, DHS and 3 letter organization you'd be foolish. I have to keep my phone until next year when I retire to rural AR. Then I'll smash it and go dark. I've had enough of being tracked and spied on in the name of marketing and security.
My take is we are all too self important-government really doesn’t care as much as you would like to believe - now advertizing people are who are really listening

Last edited:
What would be the reason(s) to download an older version of Chairgun?

Seriously, is there ANY advantage over Chairgun Pro?

Thanks!
Sure, keep it simple.It is more than I need w/out clutter bells & whistles. I've always made range tapes & such by shooting and then rely on the scope and memory. Then again I am the type ( and there is likely 1 more person out there) who if buying say an FX would purchase a Tarantula or Thor in a minute but not an M3 or... . Truly tune the rifle (not adjust) and not touch it again for 10 years when regular maintence suggests changing orings.

John

Sure, keep it simple.It is more than I need w/out clutter bells & whistles. I've always made range tapes & such by shooting and then rely on the scope and memory. Then again I am the type ( and there is likely 1 more person out there) who if buying say an FX would purchase a Tarantula or Thor in a minute but not an M3 or... . Truly tune the rifle (not adjust) and not touch it again for 10 years when regular maintence suggests changing orings.

John
What I meant was exactly WHAT do you lose/gain with the older software?

Perhaps it is just a loss of listed projectiles or scope reticles, but there may be something I am missing. Fill me in! (smile)

Thanks!

p.s.

I work pretty much like you do. I don't have range finder, so Chairgun Pro, experience and my memory (more and more faulty as I get older) are what I use the most.

I have a simple one on my site that I developed using basically the same ballistic algorithm used in many others. It is on the site and you can download the windows based application.