I bait squirrels only to get them in my safe shooting lane. I have a ton of pest squirrels constantly tearing up my window screens and getting into my shed. I put plain old oatmeal on the ground in front of my shed and they can't resist it. I shot over 100 squirrels last year and I didn't even put a dent in the population around my house. Baited with oatmeal every one. 

Bullfrog
It seemed odd to me because I have never done it.... I go in woods and hunt..never thought about locating feeders in the woods and waiting near feeders ...
Just never occurred to me.... I am not saying it is wrong... it just never crossed my mind.

But then again I guess I bait somewhat..... squirrels get into my bird feeders and tear them apart from time to time..... so if it is hunting season
and I catch them outback doing it... I consider that their last meal...

I have to be careful in town here..... we have squirrel lovers all over the neighborhood......

"billydjann"Bullfrog
It seemed odd to me because I have never done it.... I go in woods and hunt..never thought about locating feeders in the woods and waiting near feeders ...
Just never occurred to me.... I am not saying it is wrong... it just never crossed my mind.

But then again I guess I bait somewhat..... squirrels get into my bird feeders and tear them apart from time to time..... so if it is hunting season
and I catch them outback doing it... I consider that their last meal...

I have to be careful in town here..... we have squirrel lovers all over the neighborhood......
I see, that makes sense.

I hunt squirrels both ways. Chasing them in the woods is the traditional way around here to hunt squirrels. Its just not very efficient. Using an air gun or a rimfire I only average one shot/squirrel per morning or evening of hunting that way. You can see lots of squirrels but they move too much for a precise shot unless you're using a shotgun. Its easier in the fall when they're congregated around oak trees with acorns, but I rarely hunt them in the fall in the woods. If I'm already in the woods, I'd rather spend my time deer hunting. Our squirrel season runs for two months after the close of deer season so there's plenty of time to focus on squirrels after deer season ends.

When I bait in urban or farm areas I can kill as many as half a dozen squirrels in a span of 20-30 minutes. I don't get the deep woods experience but I can fill the freezer faster. 

I bait with bird seed and bird feeders. Corn deer feeders are hit and miss. In some areas the squirrels with congregate around the feeders, in others they won't. Interestingly they seem to prefer corn in the areas where they already have abundant food. In patches of oak forest (we call "hammocks" in Florida), squirrels will hit corn feeders heavy even when the acorns are present. In pine flatwoods where the food options are fewer, they don't often appear on feeders, at least not where I hunt. It might simply be because in the oak hammocks there are lots of squirrels to begin with, while in the flatwoods there are few. 

I have been a hunter all my life and only use bait stations to quickly and efficiently control overpopulated pests that are doing damage to home or property. If I tried to hunt them traditionally, it would take too long and I would never win the war. I feel I am also able to be more humane and safe when baiting, steady rest, shooting lane is pre-selected, no guessing on range, etc. I also don't have all day to hunt chippys or squirrels. On a good day, I can dispatch ~30 chippys off the deck after work, before dinnertime.

Gee
Maybe I will try it... there are many days that I have had that I only see one or so squirrels and often not a good shot..
I mentioned to other about the idea and they call me a non sportsman and a cheater.....
but they do not hunt squirrel ....they are 2 day a year hunters that hunt deer and shoot their gun only in those two days of the year...

The funny thing is, they might not bait with food, but they will use doe estrus, and doe bleet calls to lure a buck in. So the moment the deer thinks he is gonna have a fun moment, whack, now he's on some dudes/ dudettes wall. What's worse, getting bribed with a steak dinner, or the hottie at the end of the bar wearing a short skirt making eyes at you? At least with the steak dinner you might actually get a bite.

Some people on the internet call themselves hunters, yet all they do is snipe from a hide over short distances to pre-baited sites. What is worse, is that they claim to be pest controlling when it is their generously filled feeders that are increasing the local population; and so in reality they are just getting their kicks through easy kills. I've seen it with birds on garden tables, also squirrels. I think it is low, cheap, unsporting, and morally reprehensible. Unfortunately, judging by numbers, some people approve. 

I do agree Cookie. Alot of what is called hunting is backyard squirrel plinking and should not be confused with hunting. Alot of people kill for the simple reason just to kill something and that is just crap!! I do understand pest problems and have no issue with folks killing squirrels, birds, or any critter that is damaging your property. However, shooting squirrels because they are eating your bird seed is a piss poor excuse and is far from a pest issue.

I don't have an issue with baiting to knock down a pest problem and if it is legal to bait for hunting than it is an individual choice. But, the Internet and YouTube has way to many examples that bring the wrong message and should not be considered what hunting really is!!

"ajshoots"I do understand pest problems and have no issue with folks killing squirrels, birds, or any critter that is damaging your property.
I would agree! Especially since I am currently in that situation. When the squirrel population gets excessive and they begin gnawing on your house, getting in the attic, chewing on the wiring under the hood of your car etc. it's time to respond. That being said, do you find it offensive to video the pest control and share it ??😳

I like videos. I also have pest squirrel problems from time to time. So, I know they are destructive. I have a cedar sided house and surrounded by hickory trees. No shortage of pest damage at my house. My issue is with some calling pest elimination off feeders "hunting". As fickle as the public is, hate seeing the wrong message being sent. To me squirrel "hunting" is in the woods, spotting, stalking, or just sit and wait. I do plenty of pest elimination at my house and shoot them off my feeders, whether it's squirrels or sparrows and starlings, I just don't consider it hunting. If that makes sense?

I will admit I enjoy the pesting videos, even the ones who claim to be "hunting", I just know how the anti hunting crowd uses such videos to push their agenda.

Well stated ajshoots. And this is a hunting forum category, though that is due to the graphic nature of the kills, not the content of all posts. It does take some common sense to understand that point. I have seen comments by some that say shooting insects isn't hunting. I don't think the original poster
(? If that's a word) necessarily claimed it was. Its kind of the only category here that it would logically fit in. Something died doesn't always mean hunting, but you know not to look in a hunting category if you don't want to see something die. I do understand that pest control could not be efficient without baiting. I therefore don't fault anyone for eliminating pests by that method. Some of the YouTube videos that clearly state THIS IS PEST CONTROL are eliminating an invasive, non-native species that is taking over the niche of a native species. That could only be done effectively in the baiting method they use. It is in no way hunting or a sporting chance for the animal, and it is not meant to be. The fact that they have millions of viewers is because of the extreme precision they use. And as we all know, that doesn't come cheap.
No one complains over a rat or cockroach being eliminated, but squirrels are kind of cute. My state allows baiting of whitetail deer. I don't hunt them over bait. I don't find that challenging at all. I don't mind baiting to eliminate squirrels AROUND my home and I do thoroughly enjoy the method and precision of taking them that pcp's allow. I also asked my local police department if it was ok first. The answer? Have at it. 😬