• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Bait for Racoons?

• Thread starter Deleted member 48013
  • Start date
I'm in an urban area on 1-acre, and Racoons are constantly digging up my mulch beds. I catch 'em on a Ring camera and they're always close up to the house. I wouldn't be able to walk out my patio door without spooking them off, so I want to draw them out away from the house out by my shooting backstop which is 30 yards away so I can shoot them from the patio.

Any recommendations on what to put out there to attract them?
Sunflower seeds

So I left out some starling and sparrow carcasses by my trash can last night. Came out today and all that was left was wings and feathers.

Coon or possum? What ya think?

That could easily be the neighbors cat. One year we were on an overnight duck hunting trip and left the days bag in the back of the truck on a good layer of fresh snow. In the morning we had cat tracks in the back of the truck and he'd eaten a limit of ducks minus the wings.

As far as the skunks go I back off about 20 yds. from the trap and shoot them in the kill zone with the .25 Marauder. If you shoot them in the head they generally release their stink. I've also slowly walked up to the trap talking to them in a soft voice and gently covered the trap with a towel and then picked up the trap (it has a handle) and gently lowered it into a big tub of water. So far so good.

As far as the skunks go I back off about 20 yds. from the trap and shoot them in the kill zone with the .25 Marauder. If you shoot them in the head they generally release their stink. I've also slowly walked up to the trap talking to them in a soft voice and gently covered the trap with a towel and then picked up the trap (it has a handle) and gently lowered it into a big tub of water. So far so good.
Your a brave man! I won't go near them. Shooting, even a lung shot has them spraying sometimes. I did use the acetone injection on a long pole and that seemed to work. Plan never to shoot any of them near where I will spend any time.

I'm in an urban area on 1-acre, and Racoons are constantly digging up my mulch beds. I catch 'em on a Ring camera and they're always close up to the house. I wouldn't be able to walk out my patio door without spooking them off, so I want to draw them out away from the house out by my shooting backstop which is 30 yards away so I can shoot them from the patio.

Any recommendations on what to put out there to attract them?
Sunflower seeds and peanut butter, They love it...tuna fish too but skunks are partial to that so...

How do you deal with the skunks caught in the trap? Seems that it would smell up a radius of more than 50 yards!
I've live trapped many a skunk they can't pee if they can't lift their tail up...just make sure the trap isn't too big, I usually take them out in the woods in my pickup bed put the tailgate down get in the body and open the door facing out at the edge of the tail gate. Sometimes they move so fast you can't see em go. Works good for coons to but you usually have to shake them out of the trap.

Get some duke dog proof traps, set and bait and then dispatch… they work great

D855CB37-767F-4808-9D03-874A7012DA12.jpeg

8F99711F-B934-490F-8637-3467A44C58C6.jpeg