• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!

Bag filler idea?

I got my first bag yest this week and I wanted to try filling it with something other than sand or bbs. I thought long and hard on what filler to use when I finally hit on using aluminized plastic film!

Amazon.com : TWOD Outdoor Shooting Rest Bags Target Sports Shooting Bench Rest Front & Rear Support SandBag Stand Holders for Gun Rifle Shooting Hunting Photography - Unfilled-Army Green : Sports & Outdoors

20220325_185050.1648954897.jpg

See, I get this stuff at work. We make parts for aerosol cans and one of the products I'm responsible for are the bags that contain that actual product inside the can and the material we make them from is similar to mylar, but much thicker. What I ended up using is that edge we sometimes trim off the film as its being fed into the machine. We scrap tons, literally, of the stuff everymonth so getting some wasn't a problem. If fact, the scrap usually ends up in a landfill because its so difficult to actually recycle from the mix of plastic and metal. Most recyclers just end up burning it, if they take it at all. 

So I got about 5 lbs of the stuff and started stuffing the bag full. What I like most is how light the bags are, like they are stuffed with straw. I was able to try them out today and so far, I'm liking what they can do. The material is stuffed tightly enough to provide support, but it can still compress. It won't suck up moisture like sand, and its MUCH lighter too. Unlike plastic BBs, I won't have to worry about this stuff just spilling out. And I don't think this stuff will compress down much, due to the plastic material. I think if I can get this stuff shredded, I could get it packed tighter and heavier.

Now, its not perfect. The smaller bag was much harder to stuff, since the two tabs meant to hold the stock had small holes to stuff the material into and it would move more than if it was filled with sand, but overall, I'm happy with the results. I might try to add something to give the rear bag some weight, like a flat piece of steel on the bottom to give it more stability.

DIY,

Got those same gun rest bags not long ago. Used rice, at first, but ended up with sand. Had to reinforce seams at corners where fill flaps secure to large bag when started to leak, seems fine now. Agree those two small interior fill holes in small bag are a hassle, just took my time. I mainly use my MTM Predator Shooting rest but with M3 and Uragan on bi-pods, these work great. WM

Sounds like you’re on to something. I have that same set and filled they are really heavy. It helps keep them from shifting, but they are a pain to carry about. I suspect the shredded plastic might work better. Maybe run it through an office shredder?

I was thinking the same thing. I can get yards of this stuff. Just need to find a shredder that can handle it. The smaller pieces would pack tighter and be heavier, but not too heavy and still be compressible compared to if it were pelletized.

My main criteria was something super light. While I probably should have tried rice, the beanbag refill was lighter yet. Only problem is I have 98% of the refill left. I have MD, and my right arm is getting where I can barely lift things like range bags, so I've tried to lighten everything I can. Filling the bags with the beanbag refill means they only weigh a couple ounces, tops.

If weight is not a factor, rice, peas, cork, airsoft bb's sand, cat litter, buckwheat hulls, and just about anything granular will work. 

I love the ideas here, we've all had the same problem and come up with different answers!

Well if you are trying to be light weight because of medical reasons. Have you tried a air bladder of some type? 

IMPROVED 3 Piece Commercial Grade Air Wedge Bag Pump Professional Leveling Kit & Alignment Tool Inflatable Shim Bag. 3 Sizes(Small, Medium, Large) for a Variety of Jobs. 300 LB Rating https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07XB4BFPP/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_i_8YG2Y3ZAEHAQ19PDG0GT

Originally I put the air bag into the rest then partially filled a rest with small pebbles , then a hand pumped the bladder as needed, it did not work as well as I thought so maybe a different media would be needed with the air bladder.

Allen

I use horse bedding bought at Tractor Supply for $10.00 for a 50 pound bag. It is pelletized corn cobs. They are a medium weight. If they get wet they will not absorb water or mold easily. Rats will not try to eat your bag like with beans or rice. It is the best , most reasonable priced product I've found. There is possibly better but a lot more expensive. Hope this helps someone. MM