• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Bad timing...

Checked my trail cam today and the coyote was there this morning at 1:15am. It was digging for a bit and left after 2-3 minutes. I guess the buried cow has already disintegrated and nothing left food.

It is amazing how fast the body decomposed under the compost especially in the heat.

I have asked the farmer to let me know as soon as there is another dead calf or cow.

My hunt continues.

Coyotes are smart creatures.
You endured 4 hours waiting...
Imagine enduring 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, for many years!
60 yards is very close to your target.
Coyotes are smart, travel far, and have a extremely great sense of smell, and hearing.
Usually, they send a lone "scout" out to check things out, and then the scout reports back to the pack, and communicates.
I assume that the live cattle are 100% protected, and no threat from coyotes.
Have you considered seperating the dead from live, FAR AWAY, and simply letting the coyotes have a free meal?
If the live cattle are NOT 100% protected, then allowing the coyotes to feed nearby, is a bad idea, and I would not bury the dead, anywhere near the live, as eventually, the yotes will want a fresh meal, and get ahold of the living.
Good luck!

This is not a large diary farm and the live cows are inside the barn, well protected from outside. This new pit is located at the back of the property, near the cattle barn. Yes, 60 yards is not ideal especially my blind is setup just at the end of another work barn. I would need to move back to 100 plus yards if I want to locate the blind just beside a power pump station to help conceal myself better. But shooting at that long distance at night is not to my liking.

I am not giving up just yet, lol. I am heading there soon before 10pm and hopefully my luck turns.

The coyote finally came back Tuesday morning at 1:15am after MIA for 6 nights. My trail cam recorded it digging for food for a couple of minutes and then left. Perhaps the buried cows had decomposed or too deep for it to get to.

I tried my 3rd hunt last night from 10-2am, but no luck again.

Farmer texted me this morning and told me he just buried another dead calf. He also texted me a picture of a large coyote running thru the plowed field not far away from him while he was on a tractor.

I guess I will try my 4th attempt tonight.
coyote daytime.jpg

Not trying to sound "crass", but Never relieve yourself where you hunt. Use a Plastic bottle and dump it elsewhere. A Coyotes nose is "Second to none"! lol I agree with an earlier poster. Use a Caller, you won't have to blast it, but it may peak their curiosity. Good Luck! ps, if your Blind "scent"is blowing towards your shooting area you may never see one. Wind is both Friend and Enemy.

A couple of coyotes showed up late last night 11:43pm and only stayed for a couple of minutes. They were busily digging at the new buried cow but I don't think they found it yet. My trail cam didn't record anything after.

Exciting to see two coyotes here, but maybe that was why I had failed three times already in recent weeks. My cover might have been blown with two sets of eyes watching out for danger.

In any regards, I will do my 4th attempt tonight.

Well, it is 2:08am and I just got home from my forth attempt. Again, luck wasn't on my side. No sign of any coyote this evening when I started my stake out from 10pm-1:30am. I thought they would return the second night to continue digging for food, but that wasn't the case.

It is so difficult to guess their behaviour and feeding patterns. I guess I will just have rely on my luck and timing to see one. My hunt for coyote #9 continues.

Reactions: Rich_B
Update: I went to the farm to check out the trail cam today. To my horror, my tent got blown off the pegs and it was collapsed on the side. Luckily the worker helped me pickup and tied it to the post so that it wouldn't risk got blown into the ditch. I dissembled the tent and collected all my belongings including the mat, sleeping bag and pillow. I guess this setup is not idea with all these wind. I will have to setup from another spot.

Maybe on the stairs where the manure processed area. But these two coyotes have been very illusive and I was having a hard time tying to get them. I have already tried four times now and with no luck seeing them. Well, my last attempt was just so close. I was there from 10 - 1:30am on May 18th. Shortly after I have left, almost an hour later, two coyotes showed up on the mount. They didn't stay long and they both ran towards my tent direction.

In hind sight, I might have gotten lucky to have left earlier.

They would have ran into me and I might be in trouble. I guess I will to try another strategy.

I was there in the afternoon to retrieve the trail cam footages and found out there were three coyotes that came to the pit the night before. The dead calf was dug up and exposed so I told the farmer not to cover the body up so that the coyote(s) could just come and feed again.

I found a new shooting spot that is 65 yards away from the target area. It is a manure separator structure that is two storey high with stairs going up to the top landing. I thought this would be a perfect spot to do my stake out and wait for these coyotes to show up.

So I did some zero check at the target box placed atop the concrete wall 63 yards away. The target area was 65 yards away. My FX Impact MK2 is shooting the H&N 25gr gen2 slugs at 984fps. I shot at the bullseyes off of a tripod and I was able to correct my POI by adjusting the elevation and windage. I did three shots group at 4 bullseye and I was satisfied with the POI. My gun was setup and ready for the hunt.

I showed up at the farm at 9:20pm this evening and I decided to do a prone position at the top of the landing instead. I figured it would give me a better shooting position and I would not expose my body profile if I was to sit up using the tripod method.

I laid on top a thick yoga mat and slipped inside an old sleeping bag to keep myself warm just in case it would be a long night. I did some recording to make sure my Pard007S was working properly and ensuring all the batteries were full. I took a test shot at a small dirt I placed on top of the concrete wall and it explored on impact. I was ready.

I scanned the field using my binoculars and monitored the trail cam IR lights. I had a good feeling about this hunt. This was my 5th attempt where the previous four failed attempts were from inside my blind located 60 yards in the open field. I believed the coyotes had smelled and spotted me when I was inside the blind.

9:57pm. I saw movement just below the concrete wall. I quickly turned on my Pard007S and the external IR light. Yup, a coyote showed up! My heart rate jumped up and I quickly chambered a slug. It was moving erratically, popping its head up and down. I could only see its head, neck and upper part of its torso. I took in deep breaths and told myself to remain calm and patient.

4-1/2 minutes later. I finally able to squeeze off a shot hitting it in the head when it turned towards my left. The slug hit exactly where I had aimed. Its head snapped back and its natural instinct of fight or flight took over, making it ran away. I wasn't able to see it because of the concrete wall. I knew I had hit it in the head, but unfortunately it didn't drop dead on the spot. Looking at the slow replay on my computer, my shot would have hit the off switch if it was 1/2" higher. Hmmm. I believe it was a solid hit and hopefully it would expire eventually.

I didn't go down the pit area to look for the body because I didn't want to alert the other two coyotes that might be in the area. So I waited at the landing for 20 minutes. But nothing, so I decided to wrap it up and came home. I will go there in the morning to look around and retrieve my trail cam.

Coyote #9 has been shot. Kill or alive, unknown at this point.

Full video to follow.

Reactions: Chief Ten-Beers