Airforce Bad Finish On The Cometa 400/ AirForce mod. 94 Springer

I cannot for the life of me find where I read it, but someone posted photos of a newly made Weihrauch compression tube that was a welded rather than DOM tube. The tube was a flat rolled and longitudinally joined. The weld had been shakey at best and was causing trouble for the seal. I hope that isn't true.

The Cardews managed to bulge comp tubes in their experimentation.

I cannot for the life of me find where I read it, but someone posted photos of a newly made Weihrauch compression tube that was a welded rather than DOM tube. The tube was a flat rolled and longitudinally joined. The weld had been shakey at best and was causing trouble for the seal. I hope that isn't true.

Well ya it's a tube even dom is welded seam..

"Actually, it is the process from which DOM tube is formed. Drawn Over Mandrel is a metal forming process. It starts with an electrically welded formed tube (ERW). The ERW is cold drawn through a die and over the sides of a mandrel."

Well ya it's a tube even dom is welded seam..

"Actually, it is the process from which DOM tube is formed. Drawn Over Mandrel is a metal forming process. It starts with an electrically welded formed tube (ERW). The ERW is cold drawn through a die and over the sides of a mandrel."
thanks for the correction. I was surprised to learn welded tubes were used

I can't understand how a spring guns compression chamber/cylinder "explodes" unless it diesels to the extreme. Do you mean the end plug popped off or something? Hard to believe any airgun would explode under any normal conditions.
Mine did not diesel, it couldn't since it wasn't lubricated/splashed with oil inside the compression chamber... Here's the link to the images:

Thats certainly interesting. I'll relay the information over to Cometa. I'm sure they've already seen your original post but in case they haven't, I want them too. They've always been very receptive of criticisms and recommendations in my dealings with them. They've even gone as far as to start producing replacement metal triggers for the 400 series that I will have on hand shortly. I dont mind the plastic triggers but metal definitely has a nicer feel to it.
Hey, I got the photos of my friends' Cometa 200 and as I've already said, there is a clearly visible line/seam, where the front portion of the receiver, or cylinder if you will, is protruding and being offset out of the rear part. Cometa has had these issues for a long time it seems...

IMG20240125_00.jpg

IMG20240125_02.jpg

IMG20240125_01.jpg

There is a seam between the compression tube and barrel fork. Some manufacturers friction weld these together while others use a different method. Some guns are more noticeable than others. My FWB Sport (probably my favorite gun) is quite noticeable. Theres a bit of a brownish color change where the heat was applied to combine the two parts
Yes, my Cometa also had a brownish "belt" around the place where the two parts of the receiver were merged together.

All I see is a line. No gap.
Fair enough.
Yes, it's a line which you can hit with your fingernail, or stick the tip of a toothpick into, because even if it seems small or even barely noticeable, there's still a protruding piece of the front part of the receiver there. I'm pointing this out, because that's the exact spot where my gun ruptured.

Oddly enough though, my friends' 200 still works and hasn't ruptured, even though it's probably got some 10.000 pellets through it. I guess only the outer shell there got separated? I'm just guessing here, but the bottom line is, the inside of the cylinder/receiver is still intact!

Here you go. I have more pictures of one thats worse.

20221105_002139.jpg

20221105_002108.jpg

20221105_002301.jpg

20221104_112312.jpg

• Wow
Reactions: Triglav
Fair enough.
Yes, it's a line which you can hit with your fingernail, or stick the tip of a toothpick into, because even if it seems small or even barely noticeable, there's still a protruding piece of the front part of the receiver there. I'm pointing this out, because that's the exact spot where my gun ruptured.

Oddly enough though, my friends' 200 still works and hasn't ruptured, even though it's probably got some 10.000 pellets through it. I guess only the outer shell there got separated? I'm just guessing here, but the bottom line is, the inside of the cylinder/receiver is still intact

Fair enough.

Oddly enough though, my friends' 200 still works and hasn't ruptured, even though it's probably got some 10.000 pellets through it. I guess only the outer shell there got separated? I'm just guessing here, but the bottom line is, the inside of the cylinder/receiver is still intact!
Had this hw/R9 out and thought about this " ring" and it's there .

Seems it's the mark from how the transfer port plug/ end was pushed in and electrowelded and the ring seems to follow that ..

I'd assume cometa must of had there welder just a tad too hot and caused more a burn through..

R9_hw transfer port plug weld mark.png

My cam suks but I tried to show it ... Sorry

Thing is if I did not see this thread and went to nitpik looking I'd probly never paid it any mind or noticed it ...🥴

( Notice that one rust spot that started from it )

Skwirl why did you you make your comments hidden to me? So you can talk about me, instead of to me, and I can't respond? I told you why I wanted a refund per our PM's. I get notifications of the untruths you are saying about me, and our buisness transaction, but I can not respond. I did not say anything untrue, post a review, or say any other unkind opinions about Cometa.(you're welcome) I did say that MY sample was not worth $320 to me, I stated why I felt that way and stand by it. I fully understand that the Cometa that I recieved was a sample of one AND I may have gotten a dud. I had an issue with my sample of Cometa, my beef was with Cometa quality control, NOT with the seller. Had I bought this from PA I would not blame PA for a dud rifle either. I didn't blame you for the sample I recieved but you have been COMPLETELY unprofessional about all of this. Please make your comments, to me/about me, visible to me and I will be happy to respond. Thanks. As for star(you also blocked me) I said what I meant and I meant what I said...you claim your Cometa had better bluing than an Air Arms and shot better than Weihrauch. I am sure I am not the only one who doesn't believe that. If it is true then you got a FAR better sample than I did AND If it's true then I am truly sorry. Just going by personal experience and the law of averages. I am honest as the day is long and happy to discuss these matters with both/either of you but this isn't how to do it fellas. The good people on the site deserve the truth without drama. Thanks

The concept of joining the two pieces together does not worry me but seeing a rust spot or the brown ring Triglav has would scare me spitless.
There are folk who get leakage in elder break barrel rifles and go through a sealing process with a Loctite or other brand sealant. To me that is just covering up an IG corrosion problem in the weld HAZ.
Sort of lighting the fuse on a bomb.

Glad you weren't wounded Triglav, Cometa owes you a rifle and apology. We shouldn't forget that those peak pressures exceed 1ksi.

• Love
Reactions: Triglav
Had this hw/R9 out and thought about this " ring" and it's there .

Seems it's the mark from how the transfer port plug/ end was pushed in and electrowelded and the ring seems to follow that ..

I'd assume cometa must of had there welder just a tad too hot and caused more a burn through..

View attachment 429104

My cam suks but I tried to show it ... Sorry

Thing is if I did not see this thread and went to nitpik looking I'd probly never paid it any mind or noticed it ...🥴

( Notice that one rust spot that started from it )
Don't be sorry; The image actually tells the whole story and makes everything clear as day, even if it's blurry and all, because we know what we're looking at.

It makes me wonder though whether that ring or belt, if you will, in that exact same spot on my Cometa 300, was a rusty spot left by the over-burn of the electrowelder, or just an instance of case coloring from the welding process 🤔

I had a rws 94 back in the day and it was pretty smooth but possibly under powered for a 22...I can't remember exactly what it was shooting at. Was gamo pellet guns made by cometa a long time ago?
I believe that the thing between Gamo and Cometa is that both companies were once the "El Gamo", but then at some point, the founders split and decided to go their own way... One of them went on to establish Cometa, and the other one just renamed the "El" part of the title into just Gamo, as we know it today.

I think that was the connection between the two companies, before they split back in the 70-80's I believe... Not entirely sure about the validity of this story, but this is how it was relayed to me.

Reactions: rwsmike
The concept of joining the two pieces together does not worry me but seeing a rust spot or the brown ring Triglav has would scare me spitless.
There are folk who get leakage in elder break barrel rifles and go through a sealing process with a Loctite or other brand sealant. To me that is just covering up an IG corrosion problem in the weld HAZ.
Sort of lighting the fuse on a bomb.

Glad you weren't wounded Triglav, Cometa owes you a rifle and apology. We shouldn't forget that those peak pressures exceed 1ksi.
I agree, thank you! I wouldn't have been injured, because I was behind the gun when I pulled the trigger, but my friend could have very well been, if he'd been positioned a little further back from where he was, as he could've easily caught one of the shrapnels coming from the receiver when it ruptured... I swear I've heard something impact the side of the garage to our right...

And yes, there is quite a bit of pressure involved with the shot cycle, I certainly wouldn't disagree.