Airforce Bad Finish On The Cometa 400/ AirForce mod. 94 Springer

Hello there everyone,
First of all, I'd like to know, whether the Spanish company Cometa also makes guns for the brand AirForce, and just puts on a different label, or have they actually sold the patents/blueprints to AirForce and they make their own guns of the same model or type? Is there anyone out there, who knows what's up with all of this?

...And now straight to the topic of this thread...
The finish on the newer Cometa 400 models and potentially other models of their springers, such as the 220, 300, and all of their carbine length variants as well, i.e. mod. 400 Fenix Premier USC; Or even their PCPs: Lynx, Orion... et cetera, is BAD. It's almost, as if there is no finish at all on the gun, just a thin layer of paint as a coating on the metal parts. A friend of mine bought one of these new, 2022/2023 made Cometa models, a couple of months ago and has only fired some 350-400 pellets through it so far, when he noticed rust; Yes, I wrote RUST, on the gun last week. I know the guy well enough to know, that he would never leave a gun outside during the night (when it gets colder) and that he'd keep his stuff, as he has kept this one, in a dry place, where there's about a room temperature's worth of moisture in the air. He's kept this particular, problematic Cometa in a wardrobe, along with most of his other airguns, when he wasn't using it. He's bought a Cometa 400 Galaxy to be exact, which would be the Airforce mod. 94, with a plastic stock in the US (that's why I want to know whether AirForce makes their own models, or they just get them from Cometa, branded as AF or otherwise as the mod. 94); Same principle applies to the German company "Tell", they keep the same designations though, just like Cometa; in example: Tell Modell - 400.

The "Tell" variant of the Cometa's model 400:

I should also point out, that this friend of mine has other, older production Cometa springers as well. The models that he's got are the following: 200 with a wooden stock (discontinued), 220 Galaxy, 400 Fenix (standard model), and this new 400 Galaxy. No other, either Cometa airgun of his or mine, or that of other brands, has rust on it!
This is basically the only gun that he kept inside, when not using of course, that caught rust. When me or him stop shooting, we lubriacte the outer surfaces of our guns, but it just so happened that he intended to keep on using the gun for a few more days, and he'd then lube the thing and put it away, yet it caught rust early, for some reason. Also note, that he wouldn't touch the gun with wet hands, otherwise his other guns would be rusting already, however are NOT, yet this one is, and it's practially brand new! I find it very hard to believe, that perhaps a few specs of sweat would be the cause for corrosion on a brand new gun, in very dry weather (at the time he's last been shooting the gun, there was 30' Celsius).

Here's the proof, but I'd like to apologize in advance, for the bad image quality, my dude's got a bad phone camera;
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1691658358276.png

1691658532466.png

1691658619618.png

Note, that those aren't flakes of dust, but in fact corrosion, or just plain RUST. The numbers ....-22 21-C1 indicate that the gun was made in either 2021/2022.

I'm sorry for ranting about all of this here, but I just wanted to get the message out there and tell you guys, that the "coatings" or finishes, or whatever you want to call them, on these newer Cometa airguns SUCK! 😠 ...And just in case you're shooting an AF 94, or a TELL springer, you should heed this warning and lubriacte your guns after each and every shooting session.

One more thing, another friend of mine keeps an old Kandar LB-600 in his garage, he's had it there for years on end, and the thing just barely started rusting last year. The gun cost 50 euros and the guy bought it second hand, which means that it was used already. Seemingly a ~50 euro springer has a better finish on it, than a ~250 euro gun, although these kinds of Cometa airguns cost around 300 euros here in Slovenia... Just imagine and keep that in mind, let it sink in.

Reactions: Frogy
I owned a rws 94 which was made by cometa and it had decent finish plus shot good...maybe rws made them build it to a better spec.
As I've already stated, older Cometa models and RWS-Cometa springers had very decent finishes on them. My friend's model 200 (the one with a wooden stock) is close to 15 years old now, and the guy handled it in the very same way, as he'd handled this one for the last three months. and even after all that time the gun doesn't have any rust on it, whatsoever! I'm really mad at Cometa for this horses*1t :mad:

Now don't get me wrong, the finish on that 200 has worn off a little; After all it should, closing in to 15 years of continous use and probably some 15.000 shots, but the principal thing that matters here is, that there just aren't any signs of corrosion, anywhere on the gun at all, even after all that time!

...And what really pisses me off, is the fact that this CometaAirguns dumpsterfire just keeps on burning on, the way I see it... My model 300's receiver ruptured and exploded some 5 years ago, and even before that it had a ton of issues, but now that things should've improved on their behalf, their guns all of a sudden have a coating issue. Who knows what'll come up next... :unsure:

it is not paint it is bluing and it needs to be taken care of because if you don't it will rust
90% of all rifle are blued
the finish is fine
It is NOT fine!
I've personally handled guns in a much more careless way, than my friend his Cometa 400 Galaxy, and not even a single gun of mine has any corrosion on it! Read my response to @rwsmike above, the gun was handled with care, it wasn't left out in the open to "rot"... And yes, I know what bluing is and that guns nowadays are blued, just like they were in the past. But at this point, I'm not even sure whether the manufacturer knows what bluing is anymore... That's why I said that the gun was just painted over instead of being properly coated. Cometa USED TO know what blueing is!

Read what I wrote about my friend's old model 200, about his 220 Galaxy and even what I wrote about my 300 (the one that exploded), in the review that I posted on this site. There were no signs of corrosion on my model 300, but it had other issues (plenty of them, in fact). I bought that gun in late 2016 and had it for almost 3 years, or some 2,5 years before it "blew up".

I'm a retired gunsmith and my specialty was metal finishing, including blueing. There are any number of ways a blueing job can be botched. The temperature of the salt bath has to be kept at an exact point and the parts need to be immersed in the bath for a specific amount of time. The time and temp also needs to be tweaked for the type of steel you are finishing. Contaminants can wreak havoc with a finish as well as using a salt bath that's too far past it's prime.

Get any of these variables wrong and the finish will not impart maximum corrosion resistance. Since blueing imparts far less corrosion resistance than other contemporary metal finishes anyway, if it's not done right it leads to a gun that will easily rust in a very short timespan. I suspect one or more of those variables being wrong is what's going on with the blueing on the Cometa.

Last edited:
I'm a retired gunsmith and my specialty was metal finishing, including blueing. There are any number of ways a blueing job can be botched. The temperature of the salt bath has to be kept at an exact point and the parts need to be immersed in the bath for a specific amount of time. The time and temp also needs to be tweaked for the type of steel you are finishing. Contaminants can also wreak havoc with a finish as well as using a salt bath that's too far past it's prime.

Get any of these variables wrong and the finish will not impart maximum corrosion resistance. Since blueing imparts far less corrosion resistance than other contemporary metal finishes anyway, if it's not done right it leads to a gun that will easily rust in a very short timespan. I suspect one or more of those variables being wrong is what's going on with the blueing on the Cometa.
Yes, this ^^^ is a good explanation here.

Reactions: Triglav
I have 3 of the new Cometa 400 USCs and two of the 300s (purchased 3 months ago) and the finish is absolutely fine for a sub $300 gun. Can't expect Weihrauch quality for 1/2 Weihrauch prices. That being said they are pretty darn good looking guns for the money. That 400 USC is slowly becoming one of my favorite grab and go guns just because of how cheap it was and how good it looks. I'm inclined to agree with @swampfoxoutdoors here. That looks like a dirty gun making things look worse than they really are. Balistol and a microfiber cloth will do wonders for you. Also there is the possibility that you got a "Covid Quality" product. A lot of things had a (and still have) a dip in quality for a bit there.
Resized_20230601_135328.jpeg
Resized_20230601_131323.jpeg

Last edited:
I'm a retired gunsmith and my specialty was metal finishing, including blueing. There are any number of ways a blueing job can be botched. The temperature of the salt bath has to be kept at an exact point and the parts need to be immersed in the bath for a specific amount of time. The time and temp also needs to be tweaked for the type of steel you are finishing. Contaminants can wreak havoc with a finish as well as using a salt bath that's too far past it's prime.

Wow!
That was a true, deep well of information, thank you very much for this!

Reactions: Northwoods22
I have 3 of the new Cometa 400 USCs and two of the 300s (purchased 3 months ago) and the finish is absolutely fine for a sub $300 gun. Can't expect Weihrauch quality for 1/2 Weihrauch prices. That being said they are pretty darn good looking guns for the money. That 400 USC is slowly becoming one of my favorite grab and go guns just because of how cheap it was and how good it looks. I'm inclined to agree with @swampfoxoutdoors here. That looks like a dirty gun making things look worse than they really are. Balistol and a microfiber cloth will do wonders for you. Also there is the possibility that you got a "Covid Quality" product. A lot of things had a (and still have) a dip in quality for a bit there.View attachment 379892View attachment 379890
I still kind of suspect the "Covid Quality" thing, because a lot of things went bad in terms of QC during the covid era... But only time will tell, whether the finish will remain intact in the years following on your guns. On the other hand, I can't really argue with with you on the fact that these guns look and feel solid, well they look wonderful, they really do, but it's the overall solid feel of these guns that impressed me. I've handled and shot 5 types of Cometa springers, although I only owned one and out of what happened to that mod. 300 of mine, I'm kind of afraid to ever pick one up again (as you may know, that 300's receiver ruptured on me, some 5 years ago) ;And all of the guns were built like bricks, with nothing being loose on 'em and they really felt like straight shooters. My friend owns four Cometas, the 200, 220, 400 Fenix (basic stuff) and this new 400 Galaxy, they're all simple in their construction, solid and accurate, the 400s are also powerful, reaching 940 fps with 8.44gr JSB pellets in .177, my 300 only reached some 820 with Exacts. However the thing with my 300 was, that it was kind of a rotten apple out of all these other Cometas that I've handled and seen being used, however even with all of its issues it never started to rust, there was absolutely no rust on it and the gun was only occasionally lubricated, but that's just me not my friend, the guy frequently lubes his guns, because he shoots them a lot more than I do. This whole occrence with my friend's 400 Galaxy rusting just shocked me, as I've never seen rust on the main metal parts of any of my or his guns before, save for an inscription on my Magtech AR600 - company logo, model and caliber, which caught some corrosion some 7 years ago, but I cleaned that away with ballistol and some cloth and it never rusted again. As I've stated, I've never before seen such a degree of corroding, after such a short time since the purchase and the gun was carefully maintained, but just left unlubricated for less than a week (because of continous use that time), in a warm, dry place - his wardrobe. My dude always lubes his guns before storing them away, but if he goes on to use a certain gun for more than a week, he certainly lubricates it in between.

At one point, I even considered getting myself a Cometa 400 Premier (the basic Premier, not the USC or STAR version), I'd get it for 230 euros something, but I instead decided on the Hatsan 125, because I wanted a little more power, as the model 400 would only reach some 700 fps in .22 caliber with a 15-16 grain lead pellet, while the Hatsan reaches 825 fps with an 18.13 grain pellet, big difference... Plus, I already had a ~650fps .22 cal. gun, my Gamo Black Bear, which is essentially a Gamo "1000 FPS" rifle, but with a storm barrel and iron sights. I do not regret getting the Hatsan, I like it, it shoots very well now that I've figured it out, it is also surprisingly accurate, I even range charted it out to 70 meters - got a nice 4x32mm AO UTG on it, a cheap, but nevertheless effective optic. So yeah, there's that.

@Sqwirl57

Looks like a gun that’s wasn’t cleaned to me.
For less than a week, that's true, but it wasn't left outside during the colder nights, nor was it left in a place with a lot of moisture, or for that matter touched with wet or sweaty hands, we mostly had clean, dry hands due to how hot it was, it was almost arid last month, there was surprisingly little moisture around that time where we were... but then, a week and a half later the floods started. You've probably seen the news, the whole EU's been sending humanitarian aid to us in Slovenia for the last week.

Looling at that i can only think of 3 letters
R M A
Return merchandise authorization?
My friend already tried to do so, but the shopkeeper won't accept "a little bit of rust" as an argument - you see, he'd want to but simply cannot, because of the company's policy and corrosion is simply regarded as user's fault through their eyes.