• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Airforce Bad Finish On The Cometa 400/ AirForce mod. 94 Springer

Return merchandise authorization?
My friend already tried to do so, but the shopkeeper won't accept "a little bit of rust" as an argument - you see, he'd want to but simply cannot, because of the company's policy and corrosion is simply regarded as user's fault through their eyes.
Ok i thought new out of the box .. but you know my hw rusts faster then anything else i got. It gets rust just looking at it.🥴. I got to oil wipe it near regular when the others i never do . Go figure

Reactions: bf1956
Yeah, I heard about HWs rusting before, but I didn't think it'd be that bad... Damn.
They really aren't that bad. Use, oil, put away, repeat. I've got 11 rust free HWs including 2 from the early 80s and another on its way from the late 70s. Bluing by itself really isn't a great rust inhibitor. It requires upkeep on the user side. Oiled metal doesn't rust.

The hw wipe it everytime you use it / look at it vs the others maybe in a blue moon..( that aint showing rusting). Lol

Not a big deal but just somthing i noticed with it vs the others hanging in the same rack and use. Got ta keep on top of the hw . Its funny where i grab it with my sweaty hands like where cocking on the barrel. No rusting . Just in odd spots.

Oh well , i got a pb rifle thats the same id joke they must'a built the rust in during manufacturing of them..

Reactions: Triglav
They really aren't that bad. Use, oil, put away, repeat. I've got 11 rust free HWs including 2 from the early 80s and another on its way from the late 70s. Bluing by itself really isn't a great rust inhibitor. It requires upkeep on the user side. Oiled metal doesn't rust.
True, I also always oil my guns after using them, but what's odd is as McNasty pointed out, that the guns rust in certain areas that really weren't touched all that much, if any. On the other hand, you'd expect the gun to be rusting where you'd hold it the most; i.e. the barrel when cocking it, or the safety, when you push it in/forward, but no rust there, anywhere else on the gun however is an entirely different story... I seem to have noticed that too, on this friends' Cometa.

The hw wipe it everytime you use it / look at it vs the others maybe in a blue moon..( that aint showing rusting). Lol

Not a big deal but just somthing i noticed with it vs the others hanging in the same rack and use. Got ta keep on top of the hw . Its funny where i grab it with my sweaty hands like where cocking on the barrel. No rusting . Just in odd spots.

Oh well , i got a pb rifle thats the same id joke they must'a built the rust in during manufacturing of them..
Same thing here with this Cometa, you'd expect the front end of the barrel would catch rust, because it's held there a lot for cocking the gun, but no, no rust there... On the other hand, there's rust on the upper side of the cocking lever and god I hope not, inside the damn cylinder. As you've pointed out, anywhere else, but where you touch it... Now that's odd! And folks'd think we're just messing with them by telling them so, when it's in fact the truth and that only.

Reactions: Hateful McNasty
Get some really salty,greasy saugsage and chips for when your shooting. Then maybe you will catch on, just saying not trying to be mean
Used to do gun shows with the kitchen and all and the chip racks. Lots of time to observe people with there food drink walking the show and wanting to pick up items. When they come by me I politely tell them when they finish eating and washing come back and I will gladly accommodate you.

My new (several months old) cometa 400 USC premier hasn't had any rusting at all and the finish seems fine. I took the adjustable cheek piece off mine while adjusting it and the steel rods that it rides on had a light coat of rust, but that came off with a little 0000 steel wool and some rem oil. I also left these rods oiled to prevent any future rust.

The blueing finish is not as nice as Webley, HW or Diana but still a very nice finish. Of course I wipe all my airguns down after every use with a silicone cloth or rem oil soaked cloth, basic preventative maintenance.

My new (several months old) cometa 400 USC premier hasn't had any rusting at all and the finish seems fine. I took the adjustable cheek piece off mine while adjusting it and the steel rods that it rides on had a light coat of rust, but that came off with a little 0000 steel wool and some rem oil. I also left these rods oiled to prevent any future rust.

The blueing finish is not as nice as Webley, HW or Diana but still a very nice finish. Of course I wipe all my airguns down after every use with a silicone cloth or rem oil soaked cloth, basic preventative maintenance.

I also have a recently purchased Fenix 400 usc premier and while the wood is nowhere near as finely figured as that shown above, the blue was just fine. It hasn't been given time to rust, however. Bluing is an oxidation and if it isn't passivated with post treatment, the blue/black oxides can convert to red oxides.....I have a very well-kept Remington PB from the '80s that is quite uniformly red. I can imagine all sorts of COVID related issues given what I've seen in other products.

oh....; and the wood was a nice, rather plain, piece of dense walnut better finished than any of my walnut TX200s

I am very impressed with Cometa so far.

My own experience is that bluing can be absolutely beautiful, but even the best bluing, (Webley, Air Arms, etc…), offers only a mediocre level of protection against rust and the worst bluing does virtually nothing to protect against it.

All blued guns should be wiped down with oil before you put them away, but what I’d personally do with an inexpensive gun with badly blued metal is paint it. Good paint looks better than bad bluing and does a better job of protecting the metal.

My own experience is that bluing can be absolutely beautiful, but even the best bluing, (Webley, Air Arms, etc…), offers only a mediocre level of protection against rust and the worst bluing does virtually nothing to protect against it.

All blued guns should be wiped down with oil before you put them away, but what I’d personally do with an inexpensive gun with badly blued metal is paint it. Good paint looks better than bad bluing and does a better job of protecting the metal.
Well said!
But I have to admit that the bluing on my Hatsan 125 is holding up pretty alright and I've also had a decent degree of luck with Gamo springers, both my Black Bear and Big Cat are still looking brand new, after 4-5 years...

I purchased a 400 USC about 2 wks ago, I don't know how the bluing would have held up but the bluing wasn't great. Matter of fact the gun in general wasn't what I expected (for the reasonably high cost). It was returned. Keystone refunded me in full, so kudos to them. I will be posting my thoughts on the gun in another post.(when I get round to it) I have no knowlege about AirForce models or older Cometas.

Reasonably high cost? The gun is $290 shipped... Granted you did pay $320 because you never applied any of the coupons I have posted in several places. I did throw in $32 worth of pellets for free to cover the difference even though you never asked. Thank you for opening them by the way. I truly appreciate you costing me an additional $32 on top of the $50 in shipping fees on a gun that you had recieved at 1:30 in the afternoon and requested a return label at 5am the very next day for. I'm certain the 2-3hrs of daylight that you had the gun for qualities you as an expert reviewer for that untuned (which you declined because you can do it yourself) and certainly unbroken in gun. Can't wait to read it!

Hey Star, I guess our samples and expectations must be radically different. Sounds like you are saying your Cometa shoots/is better than the HWs you have listed, (that statement is simply false and misleading) and THAT kind of false info is why I am going to post an actual HONEST side by side comparison with Cometa and other. My sample was very poor and THEN I was attacked by Keystone for telling the truth.

• Wow
Reactions: Triglav