• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Backyard shooting, legalities and pragmatics.

We all have a right to our opinion, and I respect yours. In comparison, my backyard air rifle target and backstop is considerably more foolproof than your archery target. Freak accidents happen, but it would take the mother of all freak accidents to allow a pellet to escape my property. That is assuming that I'm the shooter. Shooting in my yard will never be a game for the grandkids, or anyone else. It requires careful scrutiny, but IMO, it can be done within an acceptable level of risk.
And I respect yours as well. Just two different opinions. If we all agreed these threads would be boring as crap.

In Denmark assuming you are 18 and shoot a .177 rifle, the rules say if you make sure you can not hit other people / animals or property you are good.
So have a adequate back stop here and you are good shooting .177 in the garden.

Pretty funny the rules here are so vague, not least factoring in that our benevolent rulers no matter their flavor just love to crank out laws for just about anything, but of course this also mean that in a heartbeat that will completely change.

I think being nice, and discrete are a must, so a silent back stop, not too much shooting metal is a good thing, back in the day shooting our FAC .22 rifles in a garden in the sub burbs of the #2 largest town here, and we had no problems, and really with our moderators the most noisy thing was the lead landing.

Where I live as long as the pellet doesn't cross property lines, not shooting over a roadway, at an inhabited structure, or within 50 feet of a roadway I'm supposedly fine.

My neighbors are all okay except for one, she got pissed when some starlings landed in her yard from my tree. I went to retrieve them and she yells out of the back door "excuse me, can you not shoot those anymore?" Her tone was extreme Karen though, so I apologized and just left it at that. Trying to explain to her they are pest birds eating my chicken feed wasn't going to sink in and would've escalated it to a 911 call I'm sure.
I think her husband gave her the boot soon after, haven't seen her in months lol.

My “range”. in my heated woodshop! I’m in the boro limits but it’s called rural boro and I’m not asking what their rules are. Range to underneath the slide platform is 80 yards. This hasn’t been used and I don’t have a backstop built yet. I’m going to build something that looks like a planter and plant something in it that I won’t eat… The platform is the landing zone for a zip line, slide is to get off. I have a ladder for getting up but the slide is great for coming down.
B05C176F-2286-47C9-8158-8A4B66CE9BBC.jpeg

Is it legal to backyard shoot where you live? Yes.

How do you know? State law limits it to private property, only if you are not shooting across a road and if there are no local ordinances forbidding it. exception is an approved Range

How did you find out?
I checked with the local Township Zoning Board and found no restrictions listed.

Where does the line between being a good neighbor and being strictly legal get drawn?
I keep it very quiet and low key

Theres safe targets and then there's backstops. If you shoot in yoir bsckysrd what do you do for the latter?
My backstop is a piece of 3/4", 4x8 foot maple plywood. cut in half glued and bolted together so 1 1/2" thick with 1" of neoprene over it to absorb noise and decrease the risk of ricochets.

Have you ever had a neighbor complain even where you are safe and legal?
The nearest house is more than 100 yards away with a fence between my backstop and the house. I have just under 2 acres.

Did you talk with your neighbors before setting up your backyard range?
No.

If you limit yourself caliber/fps/fpe wise, how did you come up with those heuristics?
.177 @ 18 fpe that as what my Huntsman Revere is listed at and My .22 is @ 26 fpe which
was the economical tune from Pyramid Air for my AV Avenger.

Last edited:
I have no idea if it’s legal here but no knocks on the door by law enforcement. There’s between 80-100 yards from my firing point to down range buildings but I shoot into a full water jug or 3/4” plywood backed by a large hardwood tree, a wood fence, a hill and a large patch of overgrowth. The only neighbors next door don’t comment and are rarely there and we get along well. I tend to be discreet and quiet and if anyone actually sees me they have to make an effort to do so. I’m strictly a target shooter and even if I wanted to pest I don’t think it would be safe to do so.

Rick H.

Regarding airguns in Massachusetts here is what I found:

MGL Ch 269, Section 12B. No minor under the age of eighteen shall have an air rifle or so-called BB gun in his possession while in any place to which the public has a right of access unless he is accompanied by an adult or unless he is the holder of a sporting or hunting license and has on his person a permit from the chief of police of the town in which he resides granting him the right of such possession. No person shall discharge a BB shot, pellet or other object from an air rifle or so-called BB gun into, from or across any street, alley, public way or railroad or railway right of way, and no minor under the age of eighteen shall discharge a BB shot, pellet or other object from an air rifle or BB gun unless he is accompanied by an adult or is the holder of a sporting or hunting license. Whoever violates this section shall be punished by a fine of not more than one hundred dollars, and the air rifle or BB gun or other weapon shall be confiscated. Upon a conviction of a violation of this section the air rifle or BB gun or other weapon shall, by the written authority of the court, be forwarded to the colonel of the state police, who may dispose of said article in the same manner as prescribed in section ten.

Doesn't say much, seems to be addressing what minors can/can't do with air guns but the underlined part seems applicable to all shooters. Firearms includes a 500 foot distance minimum from other buildings not on your property but the same requirements regarding roads, etc.

I wish I could shoot in my yard but it's a 1990's made thickly settled subdivision. Less than 30 feet between houses. I shoot 10m in my basement and go to my gun club or New England Airgun's indoor range when I need more.

I can neither confirm nor deny as to the legality of the possibility that I MAY use my airgun. If I were to I'd ask the neighbors to open their windows to I'd have enough distance. Ok kidding on the last part. Luckily I have a certain amount of seclusion with very tall shrubs to hide me from prying eyes and no houses plus tall fences and my steel trap, which is filled with rubber mulch to deaden the sound. My Mavericks are much quieter than my Remington Nitro, my Sapsan is dead silent, sadly, it's waiting for a regulator.

Reactions: 450BM
I forgot about the backstop question in my first response.

I have a 5 gallon bucket filled with rubber mulch that I turn on its side. I use cardboard over the top to hold the mulch in and also so I can stick my targets to that. Then the lid of the bucket is snapped over that but the center of the lid is cut out so I can see my target. This makes for a portable pellet trap, it's Decently quiet, and it'll stop over 100 fpe so far! I set that up at the end of my yard in front of some old oak logs I use as the backstop.

I forgot about the backstop question in my first response.

I have a 5 gallon bucket filled with rubber mulch that I turn on its side. I use cardboard over the top to hold the mulch in and also so I can stick my targets to that. Then the lid of the bucket is snapped over that but the center of the lid is cut out so I can see my target. This makes for a portable pellet trap, it's Decently quiet, and it'll stop over 100 fpe so far! I set that up at the end of my yard in front of some old oak logs I use as the backstop.

I also follow that principle for my targe, I use a 24 gallon locking plastic bin filled with 5 bags of rubber mulch and attach my 3" targets to it. Duct tape over the holes punched through the plastic lid to keep the mulch inside as needed.

I can neither confirm nor deny as to the legality of the possibility that I MAY use my airgun. If I were to I'd ask the neighbors to open their windows to I'd have enough distance. Ok kidding on the last part. Luckily I have a certain amount of seclusion with very tall shrubs to hide me from prying eyes and no houses plus tall fences and my steel trap, which is filled with rubber mulch to deaden the sound. My Mavericks are much quieter than my Remington Nitro, my Sapsan is dead silent, sadly, it's waiting for a regulator.
I know a guy that shoots from his kitchen /out the back door / in through the garage side window / across the garage / into the target . REALLY no lie !

• Haha
Reactions: HogKiller
In my area and maybe yours there is a Firearms Discharge and Non Discharge map. I live in the discharge area.

My fun was curbed recently after my neighbors inherited a dog. They say it starts barking right after I start shooting and will not shut up. I try to be a good neighbor so cut back on my backyard shooting and pick days they are at work, who cares if the dog barks when the house is empty.

In my area and maybe yours there is a Firearms Discharge and Non Discharge map. I live in the discharge area.

My fun was curbed recently after my neighbors inherited a dog. They say it starts barking right after I start shooting and will not shut up. I try to be a good neighbor so cut back on my backyard shooting and pick days they are at work, who cares if the dog barks when the house is empty.
do you use a moderator ? A friend had to build a shooting booth / tent comprised at first of a folding table with moving pads draped over and located in front of the muzzle , yeah sounds like a pain but it did change the sound , then he built a folding curtain 2x2 frames and hinges to set up either side of shooting table . the moving pad again change the sound lower and muted . where there is a will there is a way ?

Sounds like a good way to get people to post on an open forum that they are willingly breaking the law. Seems like a bad idea to me ;)

Maybe you should check your local laws and then use your best judgement on if you want to shoot on your property or not. And then which ever you do, don't blast it on a public forum for anyone and everyone to see. Especially today when people are just looking for something to ban and get rid of.... lets not give them any ammunition to do just that.
Now all local LE has to do is specifically check this forum, then subpoena the info for all the users that have posted they shoot in their yard against ordinance, see if any live in their particular jurisdiction and then put in the time to investigate if they actually do shoot within said jurisdiction and then cite that person. I'm sure it's on the top of the priority list........haha.

Reactions: Larcat
Now all local LE has to do is specifically check this forum, then subpoena the info for all the users that have posted they shoot in their yard against ordinance, see if any live in their particular jurisdiction and then put in the time to investigate if they actually do shoot within said jurisdiction and then cite that person. I'm sure it's on the top of the priority list........haha.
<maybe they can put in a budget request for say $40 k a year

My town is very small and rural. I seriously doubt there is any such laws against shooting other than the state law of keeping the minimal distance from a dwelling. It's not unusual to hear firearms going off on a daily basis. We don't have a police force as we rely on state police and the county sheriff for law enforcement. As long as nobody does anything reckless or stupid no one ever bothers you. I shoot right off of my deck. The nearest house in that direction is about 3 tenths of a mile away.

Reactions: 450BM
I shoot in my house out the bathroom, and bedroom windows into the back yard,
Yes it is illegal
My backyard runs into 80 acres of forest my firewood pile is the backstop
My neighbors asked me to sit outside at night and kill the coyotes they want to play with my airgun but I won't let them shoot it
My neighbors shoot their guns into the forest they're loud it bothers me but they don't care it takes the sheriff about 2 hours to patrol the street after the gunshots he doesn't stop or ask questions its a dead end street so everybody knows its time to cut the bullpoop

Something to keep in mind is if you shoot where it is not permitted like your back yard close to neighbors and they complain there may be severe repercussions. With the introductions of red flag laws and your neighbors complain and say they feel unsafe by your activities you could lose your second amendment rights and your powder burners without due process and there is nothing you can do about it. Food for thought.