• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Backyard safari and "Mini Sniping"..

I remember as a kid, reading the Beeman catalog and learning about these subjects and thinking"One day"........well, that day has come and evolved into Field target, Silhouette shooting and something called "combat speed silhouette". My how things have changed.

Has anyone ever thought what the optical relationship is between shooting flies at 25 yards is to say ground hogs at 500 yards ?

I agree for sure that many other factors come into play regarding shooting at 1000 yards vs 25 yards. Jamie was questioning the optical equivalent between a fly at 25 and a ground hog...believe the 1000 yards is a close approximation optically.

Just for fun, can consider a 5' tall game animal. The optical equivalent to a fly at 25 yards is 4.3 miles!

Reactions: Richmeister
One other factor to consider is the relationship of the projectile size to that of the target...with AJ's cerebral/accurate calcs, and the fact that the pellet is the size of the fly, one would have to use an 8" - 10" diameter projectile, for the prairie dogs, to provide for an accurate comparison. It does make a difference in POI on target. As an example, when shooting archery competition, we find an advantage using "fatter" arrows to cut the X.