• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

backyard plinking - some idiots ruin it for everyone

I shoot at a little target in the evening lit up by a small led lamp that nobody would notice. I shoot from inside my garage so the sound of the shot could be me working on something. They don't know because I might work in my shop any time day or evening. Once in a while I run my compressor so maybe they think I'm using a nailer? Nothing would surprise them. I have a complete machine shop in there.

I don't shoot all the time but it's great for sighting in. Test shots. Or when I just can't help it.

Doesn't hurt that I am a kind and generous neighbor. You never hear a foul word from my mouth

This is very similar to my situation. The garage effectively hides what I’m doing, and even then I take steps to further camouflage myself. I think it’s important to realize that no matter how safe you are, all it takes is one neighbor who is against shooting of any kind to ruin it for you. Therefore, I do my best to keep my airgun shooting as secret as possible. My backstops are sturdy and quiet, and I never shoot at steel swingers or anything else that might create noise that would alert nosey neighbors to what I am doing. It’s not ideal, and I certainly envy those of you who have immediate access to wide open areas, but I do the best I can considering I live within the urban sprawl so common in Southern California.

10 years ago, if you was 18 you could buy any caliber airgun in Denmark.

Then some kids uses a PCP rifle to shoot at people in the streets, and BAM ! the law was changed so only .177 are legal for people over 18 with no hunting license.

About the same time, people ( gangs fighting over drug market ) was stabbing each other ( which the law say you cant do of course ) so for that we got a knife law, so you can barely carry a toothpick sized knife, and since then stabbings have only gone up and up.

I wholehearted agree, it is always one or a few / self censorship word ) that ruin it for everyone else, and most likely as that force politicians or other officials to act without thinking, so in a sense the good guys loose X 2

elh0102 - i think you gave some good advice on how to resolve the situation, but i'm playing it safe in hopes their attitude will change. i'm not sure if the neighbor previously understood that a pellet gun could injure something to that extent. they are pretty on edge, and have a dog and kids in the backyard often. they are worried about ricochets and accidents, and i am not going to press it until the mood has cleared a bit. the last thing i want is for them to complain to the police NOW that i wont stop shooting pellet guns in the back yard or bugging them about it.

i am fortunate enough to have a basement for some closer range practice. not the same as sunshine and clouds, but MUCH better than nothing

I think you're making the right decision, you know the people and the situation. I shoot in the yard, both target practice and taking out squirrels. My pellet trap is all cardboard and magazines, so with suppressed rifles,the noise is low. I told my close neighbors about my air rifle hobby, and they are okay with it. I wasn't asking permission, or their opinion, as I know one of them is relatively anti-gun, just told them not to be concerned if they saw me outside with what looks like a big rifle. I've had a good natured rivalry with the anti-gunner for years, and we get along. Recently he was raving about how we have to outlaw the AR-15, asked me what I thought. I told him I thought every household should be required to have one! Of course, he was serious and I was not, but I like to get under his skin. I understand your neighbor's concern, given the dog and kids. Frankly, I would have the same concern if I wasn't totally comfortable with the shooter. In your case, I think that may work for you in the long run, baby steps, maybe get them more comfortable with it. Your neighbor may be like mine, he'll never be a gun enthusiast, but he might come to understand that your precautions are effective, and the risk is nil. Good luck. 

as Micro pointed out, as long as I take precautions I should legally be allowed to plink, but i am erring on the side of caution. like vetmx and elh0102 have said, i do not want to put a rift between what could be a lifelong neighbor and myself.

thanks everyone for the suggestions on how to keep it more stealthy in the future.

i'll take it baby steps from here to getting setup outside again.

You have been given a lot of good advise. Talking to the neighbor would be a first step. But unfortunately to many ignorant people an air rifle is a GUN! and all GUNS! are bad. Even though your air rifle only shoots a ,177" pellet weighing about 10 gr, to them it's the same as an AK47 full auto rifle. BTDT. So I keep all my guns out of view to any neighbor and do my air rifle shooting indoors...

One time I did a bit of shooting sorta outdoors. I set up a "bench" inside my back door and shot out the door to a trap about 20 yards away. It worked, no one heard me, but I wasn't comfortable with the setup...

mikld I have a similar home range and can relate to not being completely comfortable while shooting. It just goes to show how tenuous this shooting at home can be for those of us who have neighbors. I got into airgun shooting primarily because I could enjoy shooting without having to pack up all of your gear and driving to a range but with a single complaint it all ends.....NOW....Luckily I have 2 cool neighbors and I don’t shoot when they are outside but the fear of a cop knocking at the door is always there. Uj

I live in Columbus, Ga. I shoot alongside my driveway. There's a wooded area behind my targets - but first there's a nice hill right behind them. An errant pellet or arrow hits the hill I shoot air rifles, archery (including crossbows). Have never had a problem.

Here's our statute:

OLUMBUS, GEORGIA – AIRGUN LAWS AND RESTRICTIONS

Sec. 14-68.1. – Discharging air guns, crossbows, etc.; permission required.
It shall be unlawful for any person to discharge any air gun or air pistol, or any longbow, crossbow, or any other type of bow designed to discharge arrows, in any of the streets or sidewalks of Columbus, Georgia or in any of the lots thereof unless permission for the discharge of such devices has been given to the person discharging same by the owner of the property on which said devices are discharged, and unless the discharging of same is so controlled that no pellet, shot, arrow, or any matter so discharged shall cross the property line of the person granting such permission.
(Ord. No. 62-124, §§ 1, 2, 11-26-62; Ord. No. 85-133, § 2, 12-3-85)

Sec. 14-69. – Penalty.
Any person violating any portion of this article shall, upon conviction in the recorder’s court, be punished as provided in section 1-8 of this Code. A single act or omission contrary to the terms hereof shall constitute a punishable violation.
(Ord. of 5-10-49, § 3)

I'm retired and have lived here since 1973. We have had three sets of neighbors and I broke all of them in on pellet guns. Also I wait for the kids to go to school (parents work). If there is someone who has a complaint. I get my electric staple gun out and shoot some staples into my fence where they can see me.. But really. the only complaint ever got was a next door (female) complaining I'm violating her air space with my Elm tree..

Got nothing but hills behind my home so that helps.

I won't live inside any city limits ever again. Everything is against the law. I hate to say it but the cities are run by Mommies. "You'll shoot your eye out". Stay just outside the city limits.

Someone gets irresponsible or negligent and a kid drowns in a swimming pool we don't go into knee jerk mode and ban swimming pools or restrict them to a safer 3 feet deep. These laws are so selective as far as everyone losing rights to do something because someone else did something stupid.

Unfortunately, backyard plinking is illegal where I live.

Hate to see that, I would have to move, been there done that, at my age I am not giving up any nore freedoms as life is way to short. I now live where everyone in my neighborhood has a gun range, yes a real gun range, we shoot everything but all with respect for our neighbors!!