Other Backyard/Neighbor friendly PCP, do they exist?

My .177 Vulcan 3 dont really need a moderator, even if it is FAC, the build in one do a very fine job, if you dialed it down a little ( not to SUB 12 ) it would be even better i think.
For sure if you do not have a low noise pellet trap your lead landing will be the loud part.

Now i do not know if that then mean in Canada the Vulcan 3 are not allowed, or if it sell with no build in moderator.
In Denmark moderators require a permit to get one, well unless it is part of the rifle then it is OK so no permit required buying my Vulcan 3, even if i think you could very easy remove it.

So unless you have a unusual large back yard, well at least for Danish standards, .177 will be fine and a standard Vulcan 3 would be very fine for "normal " range.

Without a silencer or a shroud, your next best bet would be to construct a surround that you can shoot through and maybe opt for a rimfire with a long barrel and subsonic ammo.

The report your gun makes is going to be quieter the longer your barrel is, but also will be quieter with a shorter, higher pressure blast of air or gas. What you're basically aiming for is a very quick, high pressure blast of air that accelerates the pellet quickly inside the barrel and then stops before the pellet exits the bore. As little propellant blast aa possible.. Powder burners are going to have an edge with that because they use higher pressures than airguns.

To finish quieting it down what you can do is build the equivalent of a silencer that is not attached in any way to the gun. Either an insulated enclosure that you shoot out of or a baffled tube that you fire your shots through. I'd double check the laws first, but I would guess that neither would be considered to be a silencer.

Are there any PCP rifles that are actually neighbor friendly? Being new to PCP's my Crosman Icon 22 still has a fair amount of bark at 700ft/s and above. If I try to turn the hammer tension back further to lower ft/s, accuracy seems to go out the window. At 700ft/s and above it's far from "backyard friendly" noise levels imo.

Unfortunately our dick taters in charge don't allow for moderators/silencers on firearms which is a challenge to find a neighbor friendly PCP. Main purpose is punching paper out to 50yds and not having my neighbors hate on me for doing so with a budget of 1000.00 USD or under.
Early model Crickets are as quiet as you can get, extremely accurate. Moderator is built into the shroud

As you are in Canada, I highly recommend this rifle:

I have one - its EXTREMELY accurate - I use it for precision target shooting at 30 yards.

It doesn’t come with shroud or moderator - so you will be “legal”.

I recommend cutting the hammer spring from the delivered 3.1” (in .177) down to 2.6” . You will get an amazing unregulated shot string.

Because it has a long barrel (600mm) for a .177, this will be about as quiet as you can get without a shroud or moderator.

Even better, it has an externally adjustable transfer port. So you can dial in a great 880fps tune with 10.3g and simply turn the external knob to close down transfer port and reduce velocity to 500fps - when you want it really quiet.

Finally, its an incredibly beautiful PCP.

-Ed

Daystar Shot String - 2.7 inch HS.jpeg

Daystar 105 Shot String.jpeg

Beautiful stock.jpeg

IMG_2735.jpeg

I have one - its EXTREMELY accurate - I use it for precision target shooting at 30 yards.

I recommend cutting the hammer spring from the delivered 3.1” (in .177) down to 2.6” . You will get an amazing unregulated shot string.

Because it has a long barrel (600mm) for a .177, this will be about as quiet as you can get without a shroud or moderator.

Even better, it has an externally adjustable transfer port. So you can dial in a great 880fps tune with 10.3g and simply turn the external knob to close down transfer port and reduce velocity to 500fps - when you want it really quiet.

-Ed

View attachment 446221

View attachment 446225

View attachment 446226

View attachment 446227
Those daystar rifles are on my radar too. Nice rig.

I would look for a used bullpup because you are going to want at least a 28"/700mm barrel and you don't want that length barrel on a regular gun. You are going to want it to be regulated so that you can set the reg high and get a quick blast of air. Without a shroud or suppressor I don't see anything being really quiet without running a long barrel and playing with the pressure. People here on this forum might be forgiving of the sound from lesser solutions but a bad neighbor won't be.

Reactions: Dr. Kralenstein
If you can't even have a functional shroud I don't know what rifle to suggest. My P35s are quiet with simple hair curler mods in their shrouds but the shrouds are definitely functional. My suggestion is to talk to Wes at Airgun Archery Fun. He is in Canada too and familiar with the laws. He responds very quickly to emails. He has some nice airguns and many varieties of nexpensive SPA airguns that he can legally sell. I think SPA (Snowpeak, formerly Artemis) airguns are amazing values.

Are there any PCP rifles that are actually neighbor friendly? Being new to PCP's my Crosman Icon 22 still has a fair amount of bark at 700ft/s and above. If I try to turn the hammer tension back further to lower ft/s, accuracy seems to go out the window. At 700ft/s and above it's far from "backyard friendly" noise levels imo.

Unfortunately our dick taters in charge don't allow for moderators/silencers on firearms which is a challenge to find a neighbor friendly PCP. Main purpose is punching paper out to 50yds and not having my neighbors hate on me for doing so with a budget of 1000.00 USD or under.
Sorry, missed the Canada part. Just ignore me.

Do they allow a shroud? If so then any .177 pcp will be ok, if not then get a .177 air arms tx200 springer. Out of the box these are probably the best airgun available

Bb

Do they allow a shroud? If so then any .177 pcp will be ok, if not then get a .177 air arms tx200 springer. Out of the box these are probably the best airgun available

Bb
There are rifles with shrouds but my understanding is the shrouds cannot have baffling.
Thanks, I'm going to look into this further with some PCP suppliers near me and see what they can recommend.

Reactions: bucketboy
Blame government not the people.
There are many gun loving Canadians who don't support liberal governments.
I was just having a little fun. I know, I have family in Sault Ste. Marie Michigan, and they have plenty of hunting buddies from up north.

It sucks that so many have been convinced that side of the aisle is going to help them. Anyhow, no more polyticks.

Is there anyway of getting a license for a moderator up there? Or it's just a no go?

-Ed

View attachment 446221

View attachment 446225

View attachment 446226

View attachment 446227
Nice looking rifle........Why can I not find a picture of the other side?