• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

backpack gun to take groundhog under 50 yards with body shots under 1000usd

Hi all,

Not sure if this is an impossible request, but the title says it all. I sold my leshiy classic short barrel a few years ago when the massive layoffs in this country happened. I loved the gun (25 cal) for it's build quality and compact size (and not made in china for various reasons), but I was never quite happy with it for hunting ghogs. Twice I had headshots and the hog didn't go down. Once was in the eye and i guess there just wasn't enough penetration. I'm pretty sure I was using some form of JSB heavies, but I've been out the pcp world for a while and can't remember, I also never tweaked the system and I'm not sure what FPEs I was getting.

My backyard is about 30 yards and behind the yard is a steep incline that rises about 30 feet which makes a great backstop and a great place to site groundhogs.

In the most ideal world, I'd like something non-chinese made, able to fit into a backpack (even if that means I have to take it down for transport), that can do sub 1-inch groups at 50 yards and able to take down groundhogs with body shots within that range, and can be hand pumped and quiet. My budget for everything is under 1000 as there are way cheaper ways to handle this problem outside of the airgun world and this is more of a hobby. I'd also like to take it backpacking/camping for small game on the go. I'm also fine putting something together by sourcing parts and assembling.

If we sidestep the Chinese requirement, it seems like the hp ss max in 30 cal would do the trick, but I'm concerned about reliability of the AEA products.

If we remove the backpack requirement, I think the condor ss in 25 cal would do the trick. I'm also not sure a 25 cal with 90fpe is humane for body shots.

I know the airforce guns are like lego, so my hunch is that I could get exactly what I want in something like a 30 cal talon ss with a 12 inch barrel, but that doesn't exist. Could I put something like that together for under 1000 dollars? Are there other options that I don't know about?

Thanks everyone, long time lurker, first time poster.

Reactions: Vortecsix
I typically aim between the eye and ear from the side. That's why one went into the eye.

As for body shot, I'd assume we're aiming behind the shoulder. I've seen videos of a member of the forum with a 30 cal fx at 90+FPE shoot several behind the shoulder and the hog just flipped over dead. I've actually seen several videos of people taking out ghogs from almost 100 yards and shot placement wasn't as important to get the job done, I'm assuming because of the power of impact, expansion, etc. So I guess that's what I'm aiming for.

Thanks for the response. Is the HP SS one of the more reliable AEAs or are the reliability issues overblown?

I've owned 2. The first I never had any issues with and used it a lot. The 2nd I bought because I regretted selling the first... I bought one from a seller here who didn't want to fix it. It was the most common repair -- broken valve pin -- easy fix.

So I'd say if you don't mind possibly performing this easy, quick and < $30 repair, which also may never happen, it's good. It gets a lot of shots per fill too. You need to use JSB/FX 44.75 grain either regular domed or Hades. Doesn't like playing with weird ammo or slugs because of the semi-auto, rotational weight of the magazine and such.

You don't have a lot of options for a "backpack gun" without spending a lot more. Then again I've killed groundhogs with sub 30 FPE airguns so I would think a Kral NP-03 in .25 caliber would do the job perfectly as well. Umarex Notos might be a little underpowered though.

There is also the newer HP SF "select fire" line. No idea how reliable they are, but it's a slight upgrade. You can switch it from semi-auto to bolt action. Might be nice to have, if it works. They also have a regulator, but I don't think it's necessary on the HP SS. Very consistent shots for about 4 magazines and you can run about 6 magazines before the semi-auto stops working due to low pressure.

Thanks! were those
I've owned 2. The first I never had any issues with and used it a lot. The 2nd I bought because I regretted selling the first... I bought one from a seller here who didn't want to fix it. It was the most common repair -- broken valve pin -- easy fix.

So I'd say if you don't mind possibly performing this easy, quick and < $30 repair, which also may never happen, it's good. It gets a lot of shots per fill too. You need to use JSB/FX 44.75 grain either regular domed or Hades. Doesn't like playing with weird ammo or slugs because of the semi-auto, rotational weight of the magazine and such.

You don't have a lot of options for a "backpack gun" without spending a lot more. Then again I've killed groundhogs with sub 30 FPE airguns so I would think a Kral NP-03 in .25 caliber would do the job perfectly as well. Umarex Notos might be a little underpowered though.

There is also the newer HP SF "select fire" line. No idea how reliable they are, but it's a slight upgrade. You can switch it from semi-auto to bolt action. Might be nice to have, if it works. They also have a regulator, but I don't think it's necessary on the HP SS. Very consistent shots for about 4 magazines and you can run about 6 magazines before the semi-auto stops working due to low pressure.
Thanks for the info! Were those kills headshots? Not sure about the power of a factory leshiy classic, but I definitely got ghogs with it, I'd just like a little more "breathing room".

I'd also be ok getting something used or potentially a bullpup or some sort of takedown rifle.

Cheers.

Thanks! were those

Thanks for the info! Were those kills headshots? Not sure about the power of a factory leshiy classic, but I definitely got ghogs with it, I'd just like a little more "breathing room".

I'd also be ok getting something used or potentially a bullpup or some sort of takedown rifle.

Cheers.

I usually aim for the head, but sometimes the neck or upper body. I guess with the smaller calibers those were mostly head shots.

I really do like JSB Hades for groundhogs. Even in .22 they do the job. I've had a couple groundhogs get hit and scurry back into their hole. From what I can tell, they died there because I didn't see them again.

I've shot them with 120 fpe 30 cal rifles and it seems like they drop (or not) just the same. All depends on where you hit them. I think the Hades do expand very quickly though and cause some carnage that a groundhog can't really deal with, regardless of power or caliber.

My ultimate "groundhog gun" would probably be just a basic $379 AEA Challenger in .22 or .25. Way more than enough power and accuracy for the job. We're talking 70-90 fpe there. Hot shooting guns on a budget and a nice wood stock too. Too bad not a backpack gun.

Hi all,

Not sure if this is an impossible request, but the title says it all. I sold my leshiy classic short barrel a few years ago when the massive layoffs in this country happened. I loved the gun (25 cal) for it's build quality and compact size (and not made in china for various reasons), but I was never quite happy with it for hunting ghogs. Twice I had headshots and the hog didn't go down. Once was in the eye and i guess there just wasn't enough penetration. I'm pretty sure I was using some form of JSB heavies, but I've been out the pcp world for a while and can't remember, I also never tweaked the system and I'm not sure what FPEs I was getting.

My backyard is about 30 yards and behind the yard is a steep incline that rises about 30 feet which makes a great backstop and a great place to site groundhogs.

In the most ideal world, I'd like something non-chinese made, able to fit into a backpack (even if that means I have to take it down for transport), that can do sub 1-inch groups at 50 yards and able to take down groundhogs with body shots within that range, and can be hand pumped and quiet. My budget for everything is under 1000 as there are way cheaper ways to handle this problem outside of the airgun world and this is more of a hobby. I'd also like to take it backpacking/camping for small game on the go. I'm also fine putting something together by sourcing parts and assembling.

If we sidestep the Chinese requirement, it seems like the hp ss max in 30 cal would do the trick, but I'm concerned about reliability of the AEA products.

If we remove the backpack requirement, I think the condor ss in 25 cal would do the trick. I'm also not sure a 25 cal with 90fpe is humane for body shots.

I know the airforce guns are like lego, so my hunch is that I could get exactly what I want in something like a 30 cal talon ss with a 12 inch barrel, but that doesn't exist. Could I put something like that together for under 1000 dollars? Are there other options that I don't know about?

Thanks everyone, long time lurker, first time poster.
Utah Airguns has a .25 Air Maks Caiden under $900. I have the X model in .25. Superb accuracy and plenty of power.

I've taken out PLENTY of groundhogs with my .25cal FX Maverick with a 600mm barrel. That specific gun will be out of your price range, but my point is more about the power level. I typically have it tuned in the 60-65fpe range and take headshots only. Like others have mentioned, shot placement it key. Even 30fpe would be enough power for inside 30 yards with a well placed headshot.

I learned early on hunting groundhogs rushing the shot can result in a headshot with the ghog getting away. You have to be very patient and deliberate with the placement. Get whichever gun you buy dialed in and know it well, take your time and wait for the ideal shot. They are tough buggers but if you hit the off switch, they drop dead in their tracks. Instant lights out.

For body shots I would assume you'd need at least a .30cal or larger, cranking along at 90fpe+. They have thick fatty sides so you'll need some power to punch all the way through, and you'll want to leave the biggest hole possible to make sure they drop.

I freaking HATE groundhogs. Good luck on your venture and I hope you get em all!

You are not killing groundhogs with body shots from an airgun unless you go with something that doesn’t fit in a backpack and you’d pass out if you tried to hand pump it. If you’re hunting groundhogs with anything under a 45 caliber high fpe airgun, you must shoot them in the head. I’ve had squirrels run off after being smacked with my HP Max .30 and a Hades to the boiler room. Airguns are lame. We make up for it with our marksmanship.

Reactions: fuznut
Backpack gun? Aea Hp max 357. Tons of power, compactable 8-10 shots.

I have 3 leshiy classics. .177 250mm, .22 350mm. And the .25 350mm barrel, which from factory was set to an anorexic 18ish ftlbs. I tuned it to shoot 33.95 at 850fps and would 1 hold at 50 once I learned the hold. Even when detuned to 44ftlbs it would do the same.

Other compact guns that can do sub inch?

Taipan veteran compact, tack drivers all day long.

Reactions: bf1956
I just sold my Brocock atomic XR that maybe checks all the boxes except maybe body shot. Shot placement is really important. You’re gonna need a 30cal. I just got the AEA select fire compact. I’m not a fan of Chinese made either but so far it’s been really good to me. I just posted a video of me taking a squirrel with it

Reactions: N2 Shooter
You are not killing groundhogs with body shots from an airgun unless you go with something that doesn’t fit in a backpack and you’d pass out if you tried to hand pump it. If you’re hunting groundhogs with anything under a 45 caliber high fpe airgun, you must shoot them in the head. I’ve had squirrels run off after being smacked with my HP Max .30 and a Hades to the boiler room. Airguns are lame. We make up for it with our marksmanship.
Thanks for this. I totally agree. I just don't want to put a pellet in the eye at 26 yards and have it still breathing by the time I get there. That was just pretty disappointing. Disappointing because I felt like I did my part in terms of placement. Maybe it was a fluke, I don't have a chrony and I don't know what the factory tune was for the Leshiy Classic I sold, but I expected more. I can't see doing the same with a 22LR Sub and having the same effect. And I know it's apples to oranges, but if I lived 3 miles away on my land outside of the city it would be totally legal. I feel like the city laws should be about FPE and DB and not about if a projectile is thrown with air or powder.

Get a Leshiy2 in .30 or nasty 9mm. Just man-up and work a few extra overtime hours, weekends, nights whatever it takes... It’ll be well worth it. The L2 in higher caliber checks all your boxes, and if you man-up and work hard for it - it’ll be all the sweeter that first time you smack a varmint!

You're probably right. I've got a lot of traveling this summer and I didn't even grow a garden this year because of the groundhog problem. I can probably save up for next year. The L2 checks all the boxes and more. And it looks like the 30 cal with 350mm barrel is getting over 100fpe and with the repeater, I doubt I'd lose a single hog as the hole is a good 15 meters from my backyard with minimal cover.