• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Back yard plinking

My Atomics’ both run at 17 FPE, my Pathfinder puts out 22.5 FPE, all sending CPHPs. I plink with all of them from 25 to 102 yards… Lower power actually increased my shooting opportunities. And the accuracy is there, most of the critters I kill would testify if they could. I own ten acres, and could go much longer but its not appealing to me. Love simply shooting off my deck…

Relative to sound reduction with lower power it may be of interest to some the difference it makes in my P35s. All three have similar 3D printed moderators inside their shroud. All the moderators are about 120mm long with three chambers. The 19 fpe 177 is about 3 db quieter than the 32 fpe 22 and 25s. The 177 is about 82-83 db and the other two are right at 85 db. Within a reasonable range of powers, I don't think it makes a big difference. All need some sort of moderator to be "backyard friendly" in my view and with a moderator all are OK.

Relative to sound reduction with lower power it may be of interest to some the difference it makes in my P35s. All three have similar 3D printed moderators inside their shroud. All the moderators are about 120mm long with three chambers. The 19 fpe 177 is about 3 db quieter than the 32 fpe 22 and 25s. The 177 is about 82-83 db and the other two are right at 85 db. Within a reasonable range of powers, I don't think it makes a big difference. All need some sort of moderator to be "backyard friendly" in my view and with a moderator all are OK.
Noise is not measured on a linear scale so while the difference of 2-3 dB between your.177 and .25 may not appear to be much of an improvement, it actually is. Admittedly, 85dB is not very loud but by comparison , My 12fpe.177 RAW fitted with a custom 32x200mm moderator has a muzzle report of just 74.8dB measured 600mm to the side and level with mod, just pulling back on the cocking lever and the mag indexing round give a reading of 68.2dB, while pulling the bolt back then forwards to lock it down on my Theoben Rapids actually gives a higher peak reading than the muzzle report.
From all the testing I have done, more power equals more noise and when it comes to moderators longer is better than shorter and an increase in Dia above 40mm has limited sound reduction.

It also has to be remembered that due to the limited size of the UK and other European countries compared to US, houses are built much closer to each other, particularly in urban areas, so everything that can be done to limit the disturbance to my neighbours by reducing the noise, is something I am happy to do.

As you say, by keeping the guns “backyard friendly” then we are all OK👍

Bb

Plinking cans out to 30 yards is a hoot with low powered pistols. The HW70 is one of my favorites. Can shoot it all day long for pennies. The LP400 really shines also. 200 shots per fill and spinners do not stand a chance.
Yep. My favorite for that is the HW75. It's a great plinker out to 30 yds.

I plink a lot in my basement. I just fabricated a small target stand to hold used pill bottles that I repurpose as targets.

20231003_234751.jpg

20231003_234737.jpg

Plinking cans out to 30 yards is a hoot with low powered pistols. The HW70 is one of my favorites. Can shoot it all day long for pennies. The LP400 really shines also. 200 shots per fill and spinners do not stand a chance.
Lol,,,, I accidentally read HW70 as HW30. I have both The HW70, HW75, and now a HW30s, all a great time to get behind.

I've been looking at the HW30 since I bought my R1 .20 cal 20th anniversary, thirty years ago. I just finished the second tin through it, and its awesome on my plinking range. The power is perfect for my Crasy 8's, and all my store bought steel targets at 30 yards, and accurate enough for bottle caps on a shelf, side veiw.
Just over the shoulder of the thirty yard target, is the 75 yard targets, and I hit hanging pill bottles out their using mill dots, lining up on the strings for level. So I transition from one to the other at will. There's a shelf on the 75 yard target and the pill bottles ocasionaly wrap around it giving me a bottom veiw to shoot them back to the hanging veiw.
Lots of fun. I wonder how the 97K that I have on order, is going to compete with this HW30?

Last edited:
I've been looking at the HW30 since I bought my R1 .20 cal 20th anniversary, thirty years ago. I just finished the second tin through it, and its awesome on my plinking range. The power is perfect for my Crasy 8's, and all my store bought steel targets at 30 yards, and accurate enough for bottle caps on a shelf, side veiw.
Just over the shoulder of the thirty yard target, is the 75 yard targets, and I hit hanging pill bottles out their using mill dots, lining up on the strings for level. So I transition from one to the other at will. There's a shelf on the 75 yard target and the pill bottles ocasionaly wrap around it giving me a bottom veiw to shoot them back to the hanging veiw.
Lots of fun. I wonder how the 97K that I have on order, is going to compete with this HW30?

The HW30 is one of my favorite rifles. Shoots like a PCP and very accurate. I can hit cans at 80 yards when the wind cooperates. Amazing rifle, every household should have one.

The HW30 is one of my favorite rifles. Shoots like a PCP and very accurate. I can hit cans at 80 yards when the wind cooperates. Amazing rifle, every household should have one.
My HW70 was damaged by someone who thought it would be fun to shoot a Dremel bit out of it. Apparently they were shooting up, because the bit fell in the chamber. I successfully rebuilt it, but only got about 5000 rounds before the performance fell off. I have the parts ready, but this time I need to polish the chamber. I've never done that yet.
received_749951129913209.jpeg

Reactions: maxtrouble
My HW70 was damaged by someone who thought it would be fun to shoot a Dremel bit out of it. Apparently they were shooting up, because the bit fell in the chamber. I successfully rebuilt it, but only got about 5000 rounds before the performance fell off. I have the parts ready, but this time I need to polish the chamber. I've never done that yet.
View attachment 394206
Perhaps give AoA or David a call at https://airgunwerks.com/ to give you a quote on fixing your HW70. Kip at AoA knows his Weihrauchs. I have heard nothing but excellent reviews concerning airgunwerks service.

Noise is not measured on a linear scale so while the difference of 2-3 dB between your.177 and .25 may not appear to be much of an improvement, it actually is. Admittedly, 85dB is not very loud but by comparison , My 12fpe.177 RAW fitted with a custom 32x200mm moderator has a muzzle report of just 74.8dB measured 600mm to the side and level with mod, just pulling back on the cocking lever and the mag indexing round give a reading of 68.2dB, while pulling the bolt back then forwards to lock it down on my Theoben Rapids actually gives a higher peak reading than the muzzle report.
From all the testing I have done, more power equals more noise and when it comes to moderators longer is better than shorter and an increase in Dia above 40mm has limited sound reduction.

It also has to be remembered that due to the limited size of the UK and other European countries compared to US, houses are built much closer to each other, particularly in urban areas, so everything that can be done to limit the disturbance to my neighbours by reducing the noise, is something I am happy to do.

As you say, by keeping the guns “backyard friendly” then we are all OK👍

Bb

As i understand it : across the pond it is thought of as Rude to not have a modifier in some places .

Reactions: .20calguy
I used to de-tune my .25 cal to about 18-20 fpe for my backyard, its plenty of power for the ~25 yards I have and the vermin there within.

I recently modified my gun to accept lower calibers, both .177 and .22 so I can even go lower, down to 8-12 fpe, again plenty of power.

It's a modest approach and I far more appreciate accuracy over power.

There are exceptions to the rule of course as some have plenty of land for high power, but in the typical suburban / urban landscape, I wholeheartedly agree with OP and have been on this course personally my whole 'pcp career' so to speak.

Good topic OP.

-Matt

Perhaps give AoA or David a call at https://airgunwerks.com/ to give you a quote on fixing your HW70. Kip at AoA knows his Weihrauchs. I have heard nothing but excellent reviews concerning airgunwerks service.
The reason I did the job the first time was that no one wanted anything to do with it. So it was a "wall hanger" or do it my self.

Screenshot_20220826-074630_Gallery.jpg