• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Back yard plinking

I used to de-tune my .25 cal to about 18-20 fpe for my backyard, its plenty of power for the ~25 yards I have and the vermin there within.

I recently modified my gun to accept lower calibers, both .177 and .22 so I can even go lower, down to 8-12 fpe, again plenty of power.

It's a modest approach and I far more appreciate accuracy over power.

There are exceptions to the rule of course as some have plenty of land for high power, but in the typical suburban / urban landscape, I wholeheartedly agree with OP and have been on this course personally my whole 'pcp career' so to speak.

Good topic OP.

-Matt
My current favorite is my newly aquired HW30s in .20cal.
My Crown is a .30cal, and I occasionally think about a 22cal conversion kit with a shorter barrel, but then again I could leave it alone and buy HW30s, with that money! 😃 Besides my Crown is the most accurate gun of any that I own, as is.

Reactions: maxtrouble
My current favorite is my newly aquired HW30s in .20cal.
My Crown is a .30cal, and I occasionally think about a 22cal conversion kit with a shorter barrel, but then again I could leave it alone and buy HW30s, with that money! Besides my Crown is the most accurate gun of any that I own, as is.
Those HW30s have a long standing record for being incredibly well built. Quite the staple break-barrel rifle for anyone's arsenal.

Definitely leave that crown be! We are all at fault at times for turning a good thing bad by tinkering lol.

-Matt

Here's three of my favorite low-powered backyard plinkers. The adult sized Red Ryder, Daisy/Avanti 499B, and the Umarex Ruger MK IV. The MK IV is a single shot springer, and after a bit of trigger work, has become a great shooting pistol. It has compartments in the grip frame that are perfect for extra ballast. I added around 6oz in the form of fine birdshot mixed with slow curing epoxy. The extra weight really settled it down.

red:499.JPG

DSC00012.JPG