Back yard plinking

I have just been reading a couple of threads about finding the ideal tune to shoot a specific pellet or slug, it go me thinking, do any of you guys from the US plink in you garden with low powered airguns?

in the uk and many other countries we are restricted in the amount of power our guns can legally produce, here it is sub12fpe. While I can see the benefits of large calibre, high power airguns for hunting and long range shooting but smaller pellets with minimal power has some distinct advantage while shooting in urban areas.

Low power guns use much less air, they are much quieter not just muzzle report but also pellet impact, pellets are cheaper, barrel tend to be less pellet fussy at lower velocities, there is less risk of a ricochet and out to 50yards no compromise in accuracy.

Typically a 8grn .177 travels at 800fps while a 16grn .22 is just under 600fps

As an example My RAW 1000x fitted with a .177 LW barrel does in excess of 400 shots from a single charge, h&n econ pellets cost me £2.50for 500

this is a 10 shot group of econs at 20yards
49762682-BC89-458F-A56E-CC3A979FD7E9.jpeg

And this is a 5 shot group at 35yards with .177 jsb exacts
5B137111-435C-447E-9876-C8FAD2BADADB.jpeg

Personally I rate accuracy higher than power……nice to have power and accuracy though 😁

Bb

I have just been reading a couple of threads about finding the ideal tune to shoot a specific pellet or slug, it go me thinking, do any of you guys from the US plink in you garden with low powered airguns?

in the uk and many other countries we are restricted in the amount of power our guns can legally produce, here it is sub12fpe. While I can see the benefits of large calibre, high power airguns for hunting and long range shooting but smaller pellets with minimal power has some distinct advantage while shooting in urban areas.

Low power guns use much less air, they are much quieter not just muzzle report but also pellet impact, pellets are cheaper, barrel tend to be less pellet fussy at lower velocities, there is less risk of a ricochet and out to 50yards no compromise in accuracy.

As an example My RAW 1000x fitted with a .177 LW barrel does in excess of 400 shots from a single charge, h&n econ pellets cost me £2.50for 500

this is a 10 shot group of econs at 20yardsView attachment 393604

And this is a 5 shot group at 35yards with .177 jsb exactsView attachment 393605

Personally I rate accuracy higher than power……nice to have power and accuracy though 😁

Bb
I like the combination of accuracy and power

I use a 177 Wolverine in my backyard shooting 10.34 gr JSBs. It's at 18fpe, so higher than your sub 12. But I will take my BRK XR Sniper in 22 and turn it all the way down and get sub12 and I do shoot it in the back yard. Shot count goes through the roof and it is truly as quiet as a "mouse fart" Accuracy has been with both of these rifles - the poor shooting culprit is me!

Last edited:
Comparing the US and UK, tends to be an apples to oranges endeavor. Although regulations are becoming more strict in some states, most US Airgun aficionado don’t have to abide by power restrictions and tend to have more open country for shooting long distances, especially with slugs. Thus, many don’t see a reason to limit their gear when shooting PCPs. That said, there are many more guys that lower the power on their springers to 12FPE for more pleasant and accurate shooting.

Having said that, I think eventually the US consumer will come to appreciate PCPs at lower power levels due to the encroachment of the city into the suburbs and further. Many of us want to shoot without alerting everyone in the neighborhood that is a potential threat to shooting sports, so we keep power levels low when plinking.

-Marty

Last edited:
I use a 177 Wolverine in my backyard shooting 10.34 gr JSBs. It's at 18fpe, so higher than your sub 12. But I will take my BRK XR Sniper in 22 and turn it all the way down and get sub12 and I do shoot it in the back yard. Shot count goes through the roof and it is truly as quiet as a "mouse fart" Accuracy has been with both of these rifles - the poor shooting culprit is me!
Same here. I have a 18 FPE rifle now and a Notos I am tuning down to 15-16 FPE. I've shot a PP700 the most in my yard and that is 15 FPE. I have a 25 cal Cricket and it just sat basically unused for 2 years.

Since buying a 177 back in May my shooting has gone way up. Affordable and still overs challenges at 30 yards.

PP700 is going into backup roll to the Notos.

Indeed, the bulk of my shooting is just plinking out to about 35 yards. Most of my guns either shoot right around 15fpe or can be adjusted to do so. Most are also 22 caliber. More fun than a 177 in my opinion. And good pellets can be had locally for hardly over $5/500.

Accuracy is there. Air use is wayyyy down. Less concern of overpenetration or ricochet. Quieter. All plusses. And still plenty to take small game.

Hw50 shoots right at 600fps, 1322 pcp 600, 1322 pumper 585, grand prix 615, fx Crown 650

I agree totally. I don't understand the obsession with speed and power. I have been an archer for many years before shoulder issues forced me to give it up. I shot 40# long bows that would launch an arrow at a little over 200 fps. I shot field target.
My airguns are low to mid power. The lowest being pistols as low as 270 fps to rifles as high as 850 fps. I don't concern myself much with fpe numbers. I typically shoot at 25 yards and in to 10. All of my springers will penetrate both sides of a soup can at 20 yards which is plenty of power for me.
As long as I can hit what I'm aiming at I'm happy.

No restrictions on power of air rifles shot in the yard where I live but common sense convinces me to keep them moderated to about 85 db or less. I adjusted my Prod up to about 16 fpe after loosing two of the first 4 squirrels I shot with it. The next 11 were clean kills. My placement may have improved too. My other sub 20 PCP is a P35 in 177 shooting H&N Baracuda Match at about 900 fps. I also have 3 PCPs over 30 fpe. For target shooting all of them work but my P35 in 22 is my most accurate gun. It shoots H&N Baracuda Match 22s at about 830 fps for about 32 fpe. All my guns will take squirrels cleanly but there is a difference between the squirrel's reaction when hit with 30-40 fpe compared to sub 20 fpe. Trajectory is also better with a little more velocity. I get about 100 shots per fill on my 177. The P35-22 gets the least at about 60. More is nice but I really like it when squirrels drop at impact and I like not having to worry about holdover from about 25 to 40 yards.

Outside of the 12fpe law, you live on an island, literally.

Google just told me the population density of England is 434 people per square kilometer. And that the pop density of the United States is 37 people per square kilometer.

That being said, I live on two acres, with nothing behind my property. Yet I STILL own 4 quality airguns under 10fpe. A couple more at just under 20fpe, a couple that can be adjusted up to 32fpe pretty easily, and finally, only one that lives at 45ish fpe. I don't personally have much use for bigbores and huge power.

Airgun joy for me is in the lower power stuff. But that's all relative.

I have my RAW HMx .22 tuned to shoot 18gr pellets and 17.5gr slugs at 970 & 950fps respectively and my range is only 20yds but I do pest at up to 120yds so my tune was built for that. Air is not an issue for me and at that tune, I get 80 shots @ approximately 38 FPE and it is back yard friendly with the OEM round carbon fiber reflex mod...otherwise I too would tune for lower power around 28-30 FPE. My Prod is my yard ratter!

Reactions: bucketboy
My air rifle has an adjustable transfer port and I was able to dial it down to around 10 fpe, which gave me over 100 shots with good enough accuracy and precision for 20 yards/18 meters, the distance I shoot most in my back yard. And as you mentioned it is quieter. Now I still need to figure out the hold overs and scope settings and record them for when I change power settings.

Reactions: bucketboy

this is a 10 shot group of econs at 20yardsView attachment 393604

And this is a 5 shot group at 35yards with .177 jsb exactsView attachment 393605

Bb
Agreed it's difficult to shoot my most powerful gun's even though they're accurate, they destroy stuff. Lol
My absolute weakest airgun is one of my favorites, a Daisy Powerline Model 747 SSP pistol. It's as accurate as the day is long. I shoot my pistols at long range for an air pistol. All their sights are maxed out for elevation at 29 yards.
The Multi Pump guns are range adjustable by the stroke count.
I just bought an HW30s, and that little rifle is excellent for what I do.
I just have to stretch out to longer range with the powerful rifles.
Accuracy is the higest criterea, or it better look good because its going to hang on the wall like a picture if it does shoot straight.

Not in the yard, but in the house !
Across the living room, and down to the end of the hall, into a foam archery target.

And yes, I turn all of my guns down to shoot about 800fps. (+ / -). Normally 800 to about 825 or so.
Easier on the gun, more shots per fill, AND...quieter.
AND, up to about 50yards, no accuracy problems. Once you get sighted in to the particular distance, the guns are just as accurate as guns shooting over 850 or 900 fps, at longer distances.

If you guys un the UK can shoot low power, so can we in the US !!

Mike