• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Back Yard Nutria Rat Hunting Adventures

Growing up in Sportsman's Paradise meant growing up with guns. I've always owned airguns as well as firearms however, it wasn't until recently that I started getting more serious about airguns. A few years ago we moved to a neighborhood within city limits. This neighborhood has a lake. This lake has a serious nutria rat problem. I can't discharge a firearm within city limits, therefore I had to get a serious airgun.

Being the problem solver that I am, I went ahead and picked up an FX Impact MK2. Mine is a .25 cal with 700mm barrel. Due to my mission I put on an ATN X-Sight 4K Pro with an ABL 1000 range finder. I've done a few other upgrades to it and have plans for more. Just ping me if you're interested in knowing more.

Anyway, I'm starting this thread to share some of my successes on the hunt. I plan to share all of the good videos I have so far, individually. I probably will not have any new videos for a while as the rats have mostly bedded down for the winter, but I will certainly upload more videos as I get them. Additionally, I don't upload all of my hunts, just some of the better ones.

Disclaimer: I am not a professional cameraman, I don't use any professional equipment or video editing software, some videos are slightly out of focus, some videos are a little shaky, you can hear me breathing in some of them, etc. This is just me having fun in my back yard using the record function on the ATN X-Sight, nothing more, nothing less. All distances on the videos are accurate, but some of the dates are not (a few of them messed up somehow).

I hope you all enjoy!

I love hunting those things they are tuff little buggers , head shots they are DRT all you see is the top of the body showing . Going out this week to give it a try at night . You definitely have a honey hole . I find it very hard when they are swimming as you know , because there is only about a 1"to 11/2" of the head showing out of the water . I like it better when they are swimming away from me that's the perfect shot . Nice shootun wish I had that spot keep it coming Darell Btw have you tried slugs it that thing yet ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oSvDw2ORw4o

10 yard shot. Hunting behind my house with FX Impact MK 2, optic ATN X Sight 4K Pro. Shooting unsupported so forgive the shakiness.

All your videos are great... I also have had to shoot a critter more than once. It’s almost always the close range shots.

Thank you. I think my videos have gotten better over time but there is still plenty of room for improvement. These rats are super resilient. But I can't fully blame that, I get excited when they're close, plus when they're closed I'm usually forced to shoot off hand which can be a little tricky with my rig.

I love hunting those things they are tuff little buggers , head shots they are DRT all you see is the top of the body showing . Going out this week to give it a try at night . You definitely have a honey hole . I find it very hard when they are swimming as you know , because there is only about a 1"to 11/2" of the head showing out of the water . I like it better when they are swimming away from me that's the perfect shot . Nice shootun wish I had that spot keep it coming Darell Btw have you tried slugs it that thing yet ?

I quite enjoy hunting them as well. And yes they are very tough. I've had a few shrug off a head shot. I have to be very careful about what shots I take at them when they're in the water due to houses and the risk of ricochet. All the angles have to be just right for me to take the shot. I love having access to this in my back yard, never ending fun. I don't have a slug liner but I'm considering a caliber change in the near future.

Awesome vids there Chris! 

Just like me, no frill, no editing, just the raw of the hunt. Love that you can hear the excitement in your breathing, the subtle hiss of the reg filling back up, your breath holds... 

I really enjoyed these, especially the war in the water and on the bank... you have some BIG RATS. WOW. Gotta suck:r get pegged, then drown at the same time you're bleeding out. Adding insult to injury. A fine job, nice offhand shots also. My offhand shots are miserable, even with a light Taipan Shorty. 

I think a slug liner is worth the investment, seeing as how they give you so much versatility... shoot pellets AND slugs really nicely. 

Thanks for the fine hunts!