Back to the springers

@aldea6

Update! I just got back from my garage. I shot a variety of .22 pellets through my HW90 at 18bar. As you can see, the slugs are a little disappointing. They're not picking up the full gun energy. There must be friction losses. I noticed that they are coated with a really sticky wax. Maybe cleaning would increase muzzle velocity. I might try again when it stops raining.

Years back I wanted a hunting rifle, so I built my custom R1 in .22 cal. When I got the velocity up to about 820 fps with CP 14.3 pellets the accuracy fell off. I did not like the long barrel and xarbine barrels were not availiable at that time. So I cut 3" off my long barrel which removed the choke. Did a nice crown and bingo, the accuracy was excellent and velocity jumped up to 830fps !! I was able to shoot 3/4" groups at 50 yds, power was awesome. I ended up building 4 other R1 just like mine, all showed sucess with removing the choke but only with the .22 cal barrels. In my experiments the choke is needed in .177 cal but, when the power is high in the 22 cal the choke shows to hold back velocity and accuracy

I’ve liquidated most of my PCPs over the last several years in favor of a handful of springers, and those are of the low/medium power variety. However, I would like to acquire an R1 as an example of a early “magnum” springer. I’ve tried some of the true magnum springers (Crow Magnum, Kodak) and they were way to hard to cock and harsh to shoot for my tastes.

Im a pcp guy but still love my trusty Diana M34 in .22. It did quite well with crosman hollow points available at the Mart for just over six bucks for 500. Give them a try. Its torn down for a Macarri sping and tune kit as the original spring broke after many thousands of shots since new in 98. I have to deburr he main tube and give it a serious cleanup. Hope to pick up smoothness and a little more power. Got a tube of H&N 15.9 barracudas that show promise from my research here. Going to pick up a nearly new Hatsan 155 torpedo .22 underlever in walnut from the estate of my best friend. $175 with less than a tin of pellets through it. Buying it because it was my friends gun. He didnt like it due to being very heavy but that settled the 34 ft. lb. springer. Hope the 15.9s will work in it also. Might have to go to the full weight Barracudas or JSB heavies.