• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Back to the drawing board

download.png
1545590933_6693595675c1fd8956deae9.29667462_18211C13-28C3-4CCA-B4FC-261B7FEFCEAA.png

Quote from hiwikaka

Interesting. There's a 20% off Tuesday code but free shipping is only on Fridays (over $149) and only one code is allowed per purchase. Didn't see a 25% off code.

What’s real interesting is the 25% off code is at 

the top of the forum page above this very thread
1f44d-1f3fb.svg

Pcpfan37

Funny, I looked at the girl's face hard and long and overlooked the ad

No, I didn't experience the bullseye that you did, but that may be an issue with eye relief...or simply that the supplied scope is...simply put...garbage. I hear ya regarding not wanting to spend money, but I'll make an observation...for what you have spent on your Swarm, you could have used that $200 on those traps you mentioned in your first post! So, I suspect, like me, you might be wanting to be a little more 'sporting' about the problem! 

I'm in a urban area north of LA, and I understand the 'no shotgun' issue for certain! I have found the Hammers scope to be quite adequate and reliable from Amazon, although Amazon's packaging leaves MUCH to be desired! As I step up in scope quality in my airgun journey, I'm stepping away from Amazon because of their crappy packaging, and buying my scopes from Pyramyd Air, and as time goes along, probably from other vendors, as well. Yes, it takes much longer to get my merchandise, unless I wanna pony up the big bux, but when it gets here, it's safe and sound!

So, in short, I suggest you stick with your Swarm, get a good scope for it, don't worry about the magazines, and learn how to drive tacks in the shooting style that you'll be using on them thar varmints! You'll have a lotta fun along the way!

What's weird is the kaleidoscope effect only happens on the orange bullseye dot, everything else is clear.

The Swarm was $149.99. A functional size Havahart for squirrels is $60+ each. I'd need two or maybe three. The other problem is squirrels get in my "new" tree by branch hopping through other trees. They can easily avoid ground cages. I can still try it but our squirrels are hip to manmade devices. They're not stupid. But maybe they'll risk it for some fresh walnuts. You're right though, guns are more fun than single-purpose traps.

The scope you mentioned is longer than stock. How much clearance does that leave for the magazine mechanism? I was looking at a much shorter UTG BugBuster that Hard Air Magazine used for their Swarm test.

I'm pretty sure that rat poison will off a squirrel. Buy a cuppla pieces of 2" or 3" ABS or PVC pipe between 2' and 3' long, put a tee with a threaded plug in the middle. Lay the contraption close to where said squirrels hang out and stake it down. Put some poison in the tee part by removing the threaded plug in the middle and replacing once done. Only small animals/rodents can get into the pipe far enough to eat the poison, dogs, cats, etc, can't reach the poison because they are too big to get into the small pipe, so are safe.

I agree but the question is will they eat it? Rats (and raccoons) eat anything. Squirrels have a very picky sophisticated diet. That doesn't include inner city park squirrels spoiled by humans. Those guys eat any junk food they find. The poison approach is a slow death that doesn't confirm they're dead if they die days later off my property somewhere. But all options are still on the table. Thanks.

HiwaKika, that is a funny analogy! Air golf! I like it. Yes, to an extent that is what we have to do, is aim off target to hit the target. But, that is only at extended ranges and/or windy conditions. I think if you zero your scope at around 40 to 45 yards (after getting a better scope!) you will be able to simply aim dead center and hit your target out to 50 yards or so.Just avoid shooting over a 45 degree angle. Art form? Very much so for some of us, but not necessary for you. I like that you have taken this squirrel situation personally! The satisfaction will be that much greater when you get them. As far as poison, I would find out first if the poison could harm any cats or dogs that find and eat the dead squirrels. It may not be an issue, but I don't know if you have any pets. Good hunting!

I want my shots to go precisely where I sight the crosshairs at any height, angle, or distance (within the gun's reach) without readjusting the scope. Are you saying I can't have that? Curves, sliders, changeups, and knucklers are for a different sport. A gun that can't shoot straight is useless unless you're aiming at a pod, flock, or herd, etc.

We all wish that was the case but it is not. Depends on what your acceptable target area is but there are only two distances where your crosshairs are going to put your pellet directly on target center. My scope is zeroed at 30 yards and is spot on at 30 and 15 yards. All other distances require hold over or under. At 50 yards, I need a one mil hold over. At 20-25 yards I need a slight hold under. All angled shots will shoot high and will require compensation. This is the advantage of a mil dot scope, or one with hash marks, if you don't want to adjust your scope all the time.

I want my shots to go precisely where I sight the crosshairs at any height, angle, or distance (within the gun's reach) without readjusting the scope. Are you saying I can't have that? Curves, sliders, changeups, and knucklers are for a different sport. A gun that can't shoot straight is useless unless you're aiming at a pod, flock, or herd, etc.

We all wish that was the case but it is not. Depends on what your acceptable target area is but there are only two distances where your crosshairs are going to put your pellet directly on target center. My scope is zeroed at 30 yards and is spot on at 30 and 15 yards. All other distances require hold over or under. At 50 yards, I need a one mil hold over. At 20-25 yards I need a slight hold under. All angled shots will shoot high and will require compensation. This is the advantage of a mil dot scope, or one with hash marks, if you don't want to adjust your scope all the time.

Fired eight shots at two squirrels (in trees) this morning. All easy shots, all misses. Scopes are worthless unless the target is too far for the naked eye. With a fixed sight and two pellets I'd be posting a pic of two dead squirrels. Those shots were cake. The scope ruined everything. 

OP, I don't know how experienced you are with airguns and/or firearms, however, being accurate at different distances takes a LOT of practice and experience. If you're brand new to the sport, you're likely as not to miss most, if everything, you're shooting at. There's the additional issue of what some of us call 'buck fever', although you're obviously not shooting at deer. This is part of the reason that you may rush your shot and jerk the trigger, instead of squeeeeeeezzzzzzing it! I don't think it's the scope that's the problem here. 

I have an acquaintance that bought a very inexpensive air rifle to shoot rats with in his back yard. So far, he accidently hit one, not solidly, and missed everything else. But, this guy would rather watch young men play sports on TV than practice with that gun. He...and his wife, cuz he's a wuss...make all the excuses in the world why he can't be practicing in his back yard. I've invited him I can't tell you how many times to come over and shoot on my backyard range, but...no. He can't hit squat with that rifle, has no passion for it...or anything else, actually...and can't fathom why. He doesn't have any natural skill for it, and isn't willing to invest himself into it. No surprise he can't hit anything!

Honestly, if it's just a squirrel problem that you've got an air rifle to solve, there are easier, more direct ways to deal with that. On the other hand, if you're into it for the challenge, well...you've found it! 

To the OP. Reading this post, everybody is seriously over-thinking this. Get a couple of rat traps, attach them to the tree as far off the ground as you can, smear the trip lever with peanut butter and set. No poison, no noise, no stalking, cheap and no local pet population at risk. Just set and check occasionally. Before I was old enough to shoot the little buggers, my Dad always used rat traps with peanut butter on our marauding squirrel population and it worked like a champ. My advice, for whatever it's worth.

Mark

Duke makes a cage or live trap for squirrels. Cost is like 12 bucks secure trap so cant be fliped put a smaller size wire on the bait end of trap fill with corn or sunflower seeds. We change a few things on them and catch mice with to use on trap line. But straight from factory will make short work of any squirrel.

A rat trap. Sounds good but its not What you will catch is a bird. Nevermind how i know that. Lol

Whole lotta misinformation in your original post H, but that's not unusual in airgunning. So I'll try to keep things as simple as possible.

Spring-piston and gas-piston guns are the worst choice for your purpose, as their hold-sensitivity makes them shoot to different points-of-impact depending on how they're held and rested. Other power-plants are much less hold-sensitive.

Most Co2, PCP, SSP and MSP guns can be stored in charged condition without damage (or issues), and all are more accurate for typical/practical hunting situations than piston guns.

Whole lotta misinformation in your original post H, but that's not unusual in airgunning. So I'll try to keep things as simple as possible.

Spring-piston and gas-piston guns are the worst choice for your purpose, as their hold-sensitivity makes them shoot to different points-of-impact depending on how they're held and rested. Other power-plants are much less hold-sensitive.

Most Co2, PCP, SSP and MSP guns can be stored in charged condition without damage (or issues), and all are more accurate for typical/practical hunting situations than piston guns.

I ruined a $400 Walther 1894 lever-action by leaving CO2 in it. Also ruined two inexpensive MSP rifles (Daisy 856 pellet and 880 BB/pellet) by either over pumping or leaving them charged. The ordeal and noise of pumping between shots makes them impractical for my needs anyway. The 856 was dead accurate out of the box with open sights. I miss that gun.

Duke makes a cage or live trap for squirrels. Cost is like 12 bucks secure trap so cant be fliped put a smaller size wire on the bait end of trap fill with corn or sunflower seeds. We change a few things on them and catch mice with to use on trap line. But straight from factory will make short work of any squirrel.

A rat trap. Sounds good but its not What you will catch is a bird. Nevermind how i know that. Lol

I'd like to see a double-door cage large enough for a squirrel for $12. The squirrel must go fully inside and clear the doors or the door drops on its back and squirrel easily backs out. I tried a large conventional snap trap with a dab of peanut butter and a walnut half. It went "wap!" before I could walk 30 ft and a Juniper Titmouse was nearly decapitated. The other problem with traps is they are positioned on the ground when squirrels use tree branches to travel from tree to tree Tarzan style.

To the OP. Reading this post, everybody is seriously over-thinking this. Get a couple of rat traps, attach them to the tree as far off the ground as you can, smear the trip lever with peanut butter and set. No poison, no noise, no stalking, cheap and no local pet population at risk. Just set and check occasionally. Before I was old enough to shoot the little buggers, my Dad always used rat traps with peanut butter on our marauding squirrel population and it worked like a champ. My advice, for whatever it's worth.

Mark

I appreciate your logic and advice and I believe you. But conventional metal rat traps on a wooden board are too friggin' sensitive, anything sets them off. Only a few are large enough for a mature squirrel and a bird usually gets there first. Squirrels are more intelligent than people give them credit for. Once they witness or hear the trap operate they know not to mess with it. You might not see them but they see you. They study humans and watch everything we do and everything we touch because ultimately they hope we have something they need like food. 

OP, I don't know how experienced you are with airguns and/or firearms, however, being accurate at different distances takes a LOT of practice and experience. If you're brand new to the sport, you're likely as not to miss most, if everything, you're shooting at. There's the additional issue of what some of us call 'buck fever', although you're obviously not shooting at deer. This is part of the reason that you may rush your shot and jerk the trigger, instead of squeeeeeeezzzzzzing it! I don't think it's the scope that's the problem here. 

I have an acquaintance that bought a very inexpensive air rifle to shoot rats with in his back yard. So far, he accidently hit one, not solidly, and missed everything else. But, this guy would rather watch young men play sports on TV than practice with that gun. He...and his wife, cuz he's a wuss...make all the excuses in the world why he can't be practicing in his back yard. I've invited him I can't tell you how many times to come over and shoot on my backyard range, but...no. He can't hit squat with that rifle, has no passion for it...or anything else, actually...and can't fathom why. He doesn't have any natural skill for it, and isn't willing to invest himself into it. No surprise he can't hit anything!

Honestly, if it's just a squirrel problem that you've got an air rifle to solve, there are easier, more direct ways to deal with that. On the other hand, if you're into it for the challenge, well...you've found it!

Says Yarddog who can't decide which scope to use on his Swarm! The stock was junk, the Hammers wasn't good enough. How's the UTG?

I shoot very well with open sights. That debunks your trigger technique theory and I'm not into starting a scope collection to find one that works. Just trying to protect a $10,000 tree investment from beautiful, innocent, playful, humorous, acrobatic, genius, but destructive squirrels. I returned the Swarm and bought a Walther Terrus .177 black synthetic with no scope. The Terrus is very accurate and loud. It's heavier and prettier than it looks. I can take out squirrels in 60' trees 100-ft away easily with the Terrus. However, the gun's weird quirk is the barrel won't break when I want it to. It has a mind of its own. I couldn't shoot, break, and reload without waiting 20-30 seconds between shots. Umarex said something is internally wrong so I returned it. Meanwhile, to hold me over I bought a cheapo Crosman 1077 CO2 with open sights and a 12-shot rotary mag. Perfect for closer range targets. I can leave the mag loaded and CO2 in the tube. Just need to twist and tighten the rod to puncture the canister. That's quick enough and with 12 rounds as fast as the trigger is squeezed, if I can't hit a squirrel within 40-50 ft it deserves to live another day. Oddly, the weather has been too cold, windy, and wet for squirrels to come around but I'm ready when they are.