• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Back into air guns after many years

222A63E1-1680-43AF-A1F2-420C4FAEA604.1640647359.jpeg
2BD0DEEC-3C6A-4440-B061-560C65C428C7.1640647361.jpeg
967BA443-A67A-4265-B029-8F1D43972654.1640647363.jpeg
5B4F528D-1A15-4680-93C9-004DC2168D70.1640647365.jpeg
I’m 65 years old and back into air gunning. As a teen 50 years ago, I used to shoot competition pellets and.22 firearms. I’ve recently gotten back I to backyard shooting. I have two CO2 pistols and two lower cost break barrels. I used to shoot targets as a kid and I have a nice 40 yard range in the backyard. I have a .177 black ops sniper and a .22 Gamo swarm whisper. Both fun guns. I can hit targets at will with both but my range is limited to 40 yards. I have a 6 inch stainless fry pan I can hit 30 out of 30 times… but put a splatter target up and the groups aren’t great. So I’m having fun but if I want to spend $400 what’s the next best combo for tighter groups? I prefer .22. Oh, I love the swarm 10 X shoots so quick. Having fun plinking for sure.

I have these,R-9,RWS-52,HW-97 HW50,AATX-200....All are accurate...All come in .22 ..The HW50 is the closest to $400....and the R-9,the TX is too much.

I like my HW 97.22,have in the black thumb hole stock...it is sort-of-heavy... 52 the most powerful the R-9 the easy to shoot the HW 50 is good.

So spend some more and get the HW97 or the HW77 is somewhat less and another great one.

Forget the PCP stuff for now it is more of a hassle than springers.....unless you get a PCP Pistol like a Prod or Crosman 1720...those can be hand pumped and a guite accurate.

Thanks for all the kind replies. Yes I know, pcp is where it’s at but I’m not ready for that jump. Push me a little harder. LOL. I want to remain backyard friendly but oh boy…. you sure can go nuts at the next level $$$$$$!! Maybe next Christmas or birthday I can move up to the $400-700 range. But bottom line I’m having fun, my backyard range limit is about 50 yards at max. I’ll work on my skills with my break barrels and who knows pcp may be in the future??

Sounds like you guys are kind of like me. I shot an old Daisy 880 when I was younger but then quit for a long time. About 8 years ago I got a Walther LGV in .177 and loved shooting it but it developed some mechanical problems so I put it down. Over the years I collected and shot very little an RWS 48, Crossman 2260 from the custom shop and a Walther Parrus.

My son just bought me a Weihrauch 95L Field Pro and my daughter a Crossman 1377 for Christmas. I have been shooting them both and having a blast. Got the old Walther working too. So looks like I am in it for the long haul. By the way, the RWS 48 is my favorite. Extremely accurate rifle. Good luck and good shooting to all of you.

Thanks for all the kind replies. Yes I know, pcp is where it’s at but I’m not ready for that jump. Push me a little harder. LOL. I want to remain backyard friendly but oh boy…. you sure can go nuts at the next level $$$$$$!! Maybe next Christmas or birthday I can move up to the $400-700 range. But bottom line I’m having fun, my backyard range limit is about 50 yards at max. I’ll work on my skills with my break barrels and who knows pcp may be n the future ??

Hi and welcome back to the hobby. Are you trying different pellets? Your rifles,like most,will shoot a particular brand,weight,and style of pellet or pellets better than any other.Every rifle is different, even within the same model, and made inline beside each other. With some that can be alittle picky to the very next one that is partial to a brand ,weight,and style of pellet. You may have a very accurate rifle in your hands and not even know it. So get yourself a good selection of pellets to have on hand to try out. And when you upgrade you will have a good assortment of pellets to try. Finding the rifles favorite pellet is one of things I enjoy in this hobby. good luck