Back from a bloody battle behind enemy lines in a battle with the Invasives

Last night I felt a disturbance in the Force and knew the Invasives (English Sparrows, Starlings, Eurasian Collards Doves, and feral Pigeons) were plotting something so I knew I had to go behind enemy lines to find out what it was, and maybe prevent or at least delay the plot from happening. Also, I wanted to recon to have a battle on multiple fronts (aka get more permissions.). 

So last night I readied my gear, drone for long distance air reconnig, cameras and Glimmer (RTI Prophet Performance Compact 400 mm CZ 177 barrel), however supplies were low (air and the 177 13.4 grain Knockouts), but I knew it had to be done with no time to restock. So before sunrise I loaded up “Bob”, went to do my PTJ #1 (part time job) at 03:30, and after a 4.5 hour shift I went to stock up on food and coffee reserves at the trusty old PX (The College Market). After a hardy cup of coffee and breakfast sandwich, I said my farewells and went to recon the Invasives.

As I drove on I-15 heading west I was hoping the reconned location would prove fruitful, well maybe at least I got a phone number to try to get permission because for the Invasives had a forward observation post that needed removal. Then I headed back with my intel to try again another day (call for an appointment to try to get on to the dairy for some pesting, thank God the family is a client of my brother in law) :D

So I knew I had to go to my usual permission, but knowing from my last outing, close range (under 30-35 yards) would not work on the so I opted to try slugs this time in Glimmer. Spec-100 bar on regulator 810 FPS / 19-20 FPE for 13.4 grain JSB 177 Knockouts supplied to me and Glimmer by @inteseaty22. Though accurate Glimmer is NOT tuned for the slugs, yet, waiting for my prototype batch of slugs coming try out on live game.

Upon arrival to the dairy, I saw the pigeon sentries watching the front, and distance at 85 yards, I thought to try but missed and they called the alarm, so now the game was afoot. The Invasives were in large numbers as if all my efforts these past few weeks have been for what not, however, I found the resolve to push on knowing not to reason why but do or die trying. 

As Bob and I moved through the dairy, among the paddock, I saw the cattle and envied their innocents because I knew they were ignorant of the evil that was daily among them, The Invasives.

As I came around a bend, I saw a collard dove sentry at a distance of 78 yards (ranged). Knowing I needed a steady platform for this shot, I attached Glimmer’s bipod and exited Bob to use his hood as my shooting platform. I brought the Invasive into my crosshairs as my heart pounded, but I held steady, knowing it was me, or nothing to keep this tide of evil at bay least as is my duty as a member of the Soldiers of the Light (those who battle the Invasives.) Holding about 2 dashes high I pulled Glimmer’s trigger and sent the Knockout towards it target, and with a wack the collared dove went tumbling from its observation post. (New personal best with a 177). For the distance the slugs seemed to have turned the tied letting me afflict from afar.

As the battle war on I spotted 3 starlings plotting (I was sure) was their next terror attack against the local native songbird population, so I had to do something. So as before, I ranged 59 yards, and let Glimmer sent a slug flying towards the whom I am sure was the leader of the group, the slug hit true. Through my scope I saw the life from my enemy leave its body, I cried no tears, for I knew they wouldn’t for me or any they terrorize, the only good starling is a dead starling (In North America.). This skirmish left a bloody trail (icky) and some disposal had to be done (cleaning the side of the paddock covered in my enemy’s blood and I seriously didn’t think a starling could bleed this much).

ED32919C-AE1E-4297-9C9C-C7A213B9D582.1642897951.jpeg
3DDCE4B7-C92E-463A-AAF4-9ADC7FDA4FCB.1642897951.jpeg

As I stared down at my fallen enemy I went, damn that is a lot of blood, and icky/gross. So I cleaned up the scene, disposed of the body covering my tracks.

Similar skirmishes occurred throughout the early afternoon, mainly on my Eurasian foe, but two pigeons were taken, one of which was taken from their stronghold, the stockyard.

After a long, cold and bloody battle I packed up and Bob, Glimmer and I headed home with memories of a new success, my personal distance best in 177 or any airgun for that matter of 78 yards, anchored shot.

Now safe and sound in my mountain top stronghold I share today’s saga to give you all some corny entertainment.

Post Op: Glimmer’s CZ barrel so far loves the Hades, and the Knockouts show promise after today and now more than a hammer spring adjustment is warranted. However, as I said I am expecting some “prototype” ammo to arrive this week, so i want to see how it does before spending the time on the knockouts. Plus arrival of the 510 mm barrel kit to arrive (waiting for barrel removal tool.). However, I can wait for the 22s.

Side note: The interviews for one of the companies I am interviewing with are going well (three for 3 according to the hiring manager), I had three this last week and one more to go next Monday. Wish me luck!

Reactions: golfer70
Only 5 confirmed tree rat kills along with one ?, so a possible 6 for the entire month of January so far where I usually average about one a day! No Starlings or other pests have been present for taking.

Actually looking forward to Spring when I am sure my targets will multiply exponentially! (chuckle)

Until then, all I am doing is testing my air gun for accuracy/precision a couple of times a week shooting paper... I hate don't like to shoot paper unless I am zeroing or checking zero.

Otherwise, at least for me, it seems to be a waste of ammo/pellets which are getting more and more expensive and scarce of late. (sigh)

@backstop, yeah right now I need to determine an ammo path for the 177 barrel, plus do some real range testing for drop etc. Again waiting for the prototype slugs offered to me to try in Glimmer. The 13.4 grain knockouts show real promised and should only get better with a proper tune. If this job works out I will be able to afford another Prophet Performance Compact by May, so both the .177 and 22 cal guns can have a PPC to call home.

@backstop, yeah right now I need to determine an ammo path for the 177 barrel, plus do some real range testing for drop etc. Again waiting for the prototype slugs offered to me to try in Glimmer. The 13.4 grain knockouts show real promised and should only get better with a proper tune. If this job works out I will be able to afford another Prophet Performance Compact by May, so both the .177 and 22 cal guns can have a PPC to call home.

If I had regular access to longer ranges, I would be all over trying out .177 slugs. However, in my situation, pesting in my small backyard, no matter how I slice it... I can't see where slugs would help me. Maybe I will change my mind in the future. (grin)

Good luck to you and your pursuit! (smile)