• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Aztec or Hawke which one?

When I first got into PCPs 13 years ago I bought a used Gladiator with a Hawke. Several years latter the scope wouldn't hold zero and I explained the problem to Hawks CS who told me to send it in. Eight days later a package arrived with a brand new upgraded replacement ( the old model was out of production ). They work great for me at the ranges I shoot and with that kind of CS I put them on the next two guns I bought. I have zero experience with Aztec but the do look nice.

@ChrisG Why are you getting rid of one of these? Which do you use most? What prompted you to purchase them?

One of the Scopes might end up on a Rifle I have available. Just picked both Scopes up in lot purchase. So not really any use on either.

I don’t really know what your level of experience is. Do you have to decide solely between these two scopes or are you willing to purchase others if you don’t like these? What is your intended use, plinking? Hunting? Target shooting? What’s most important to you in a scope? Clarity? Weight? Ease of use? Warranty? A wide variety of features packed into a single scope? What types of rifles are you shooting? Calibers? Close distance (within 40 yards) or longer range shooting? I think answering these questions makes it easier for others to help you decide.

In my opinion considering the specs and my experience, your Hawke is suited for closer range shooting. If you want to try shooting out past 100 yards, the specs on the Aztec seem more desirable. If it’s a matter of the quality of glass, you can mount them on two different rifles, take them out to shoot at the same distances from the same exact spot. That way you can compare and determine the quality of the glass in each. If you only have one rifle you can mount one shoot, change targets (exact same type of target, preferably paper) then mount the other and shoot the same number of times, distance(s), and ammo. After which you can compare your shot placement and groups. Like @biohazardman mentioned, test your turrets’ tracking. While zeroing pay attention to how smooth the knobs turn and how the reticle responds when you make adjustments. The man says he’s owned both so I’m sure he can answer more detailed questions you may have. 

Personally I use a no frills Hawke 3-9x50mm on a smaller caliber for relatively close shooting. I haven’t shot it out past 65 yards. I like the 50mm because it’s supposed to let in more light. I will target shoot (within 50 yards) until the sun has just about set and I can see well through my Hawke. Both of yours are 50mm, so that would be good for comparing their views in low light. I have no experience with any Aztec scopes. This is where comparing them side by side would come in handy for you. Also, what is good for me may not be what you like or need so the questions posed earlier factor in here.

My main thing with a scopes are the types of reticle, clarity, and their ability to hold zero. I don’t really like to crank up the magnification if it isn’t necessary. If I’m shooting at 40 yards or less I am comfortable using a plain “cross styled” reticle. Depending upon the target I won’t go past 6x magnification. For longer distances where projectiles tend to drop consistently and I need to compensate I like reticles with markings (Mil dots, hash marks, etc). I use them to assist with compensating for elevation and windage if it’s windy or I have an issue with parallax (my Hawk has no parallax adjustment turret or lens). Then I’ll use a higher magnification. If it’s an animal quite naturally I’ll use a higher magnification on a smaller animal. Bottom line is, keep the one you’re most comfortable with that suits more of your needs than the other(s). Also consider using that one as your primary scope. Sounds like a lot, but I hope it helps. Others with more experience and knowledge will chime in with good info for you as well. Good luck. 

Sell both then buy the Alpha 6 someone posted a sale for 180$ or was it 229$ from EBay and Extreem Tactical. Posted in the optics section it's a really nice scope. 4.5x27x50.

Hahaha +1 for you-! That comment TOTALLY deserves it Hahaha'!

It smokes the Aztec and Hawke in brightness, clarity, and eye friendliness and clear all the way to 27x.

I bought the Alpha 6 to try since the Barra HERO FT 5x25x50 I paid 175$ for from eBay are no longer available and couldn't believe how clear it was when I looked through it at 27 power. It is a lot clearer than my friend's Athlon Helos and Vortex Viper PST when I asked him to compare it to his nicer much more expensiver scopes. Even he could not believe it for such a really affordable scope and told me he ordered 2 of them right after that.