• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

AVS Slugs for my Huben GK1

So I put in an order last night with AVS Slugs to have ammo here when my GK1 arrives next week. I got a text this morning from one of the owners asking me if my order was for a Huben GK1. I ended up chatting on the phone with him for a while, really nice guy. He has a GK1 and was measuring the groove diameters of the magazine and barrel. He found they are off by 0.00285". So the magazine is larger than the barrel at about 0.2236" with the barrel around 0.22075". So he actually suggested I try out 221 ammo along with the 223 I ordered, and we changed some weights on my order for the best performance. So I now have 221 ammo on the way I will most likely be a lot happier with.

He also mentioned that they make their slugs with pure lead as opposed to adding hardeners like a lot of the large companies use in mass production. Because of that the rifling bites into the pellets better, but you may notice some lead dust if shooting 223 due to the barrel being slightly smaller than the magazine.

I have a feeling this info is going to be pretty useful for some of you, so I thought while the conversation is still fresh in my head I would post this here.

I am in no way affiliated with AVS and am not getting compensated for anything, but I recognized pretty quickly that these are people who actually care about what they sell and are doing their best to put out a quality product. Unless you are placing 6 figure orders with most of these large companies I dont think anyone will ever care if you are happy or call you. It was really nice to actually have found a good small business manufacturing specialty ammo like this. He said they are also going to have more sizes between the 221 and 223 in the future. The suggestion to order from AVS actually came from this thread I created a couple of days ago BTW, https://www.airgunnation.com/threads/huben-gk1-v3r-heaviest-ammo.1305960/

I'll update this thread with the performance of these slugs I receive.

UPDATE:
So I have the Huben GK1 V3. Its shoots these rounds great. Only thing I would say is to go lighter. I am getting about 950fps with 30 grain giving me about 60fpe. Thats with reasonable pressure consumption and not pushing it to the limit. I get more FPE out of the heavier ones, but the amount of pressure consumed per shot is not worth it. I do not really notice a difference between the 223 and the 221. I would say that for target shooting I am most likely going to like somewhere around 18 grain the most, with 30 grain for hunting.

i was shooting some VK slugs in my .22 gk1 at first. They were decent, but I had to shoot the 28gr ones to get the best accuracy, and it used a lot of air to get those to the stable 850fps mark.

I recently tried some AVS ones - they sent me some extra ones to try too - and the 21 and 23gr shoot even better than the VK ones, and with a little less air per shot, and a little less stress on the gun to get 850fps out of those.

Reactions: JaceSpace1369
Just be sure that whatever size projectile you use in your Huben (or other hammerless gun) fits the magazine snuggly or you will eventually get jams. This happens if the nose of the projectile can protrude out the front of the mag - remember that these guns shoot from the mag and the mag (and the projectiles in them) experience a lot of g's during firing as they advance and stop. If the projectile bounces forward at the wrong time (as it indexes to the barrel) it can hang and jam the gun. You then are likely facing at least a partial teardown to clear it.

With these guns it is important to size for the magazine . . . . The only jams I have had in over 20,000 rounds in my K1 were from projectiles that were loose in the mag.

Reactions: Ezana4CE
i was shooting some VK slugs in my .22 gk1 at first. They were decent, but I had to shoot the 28gr ones to get the best accuracy, and it used a lot of air to get those to the stable 850fps mark.

I recently tried some AVS ones - they sent me some extra ones to try too - and the 21 and 23gr shoot even better than the VK ones, and with a little less air per shot, and a little less stress on the gun to get 850fps out of those.
Good to know, I was gonna try VK but I know they're usually about .217 to .2175 and was skeptic about trying them.

So I put in an order last night with AVS Slugs to have ammo here when my GK1 arrives next week. I got a text this morning from one of the owners asking me if my order was for a Huben GK1. I ended up chatting on the phone with him for a while, really nice guy. He has a GK1 and was measuring the groove diameters of the magazine and barrel. He found they are off by 0.00285". So the magazine is larger than the barrel at about 0.2236" with the barrel around 0.22075". So he actually suggested I try out 221 ammo along with the 223 I ordered, and we changed some weights on my order for the best performance. So I now have 221 ammo on the way I will most likely be a lot happier with.

He also mentioned that they make their slugs with pure lead as opposed to adding hardeners like a lot of the large companies use in mass production. Because of that the rifling bites into the pellets better, but you may notice some lead dust if shooting 223 due to the barrel being slightly smaller than the magazine.

I have a feeling this info is going to be pretty useful for some of you, so I thought while the conversation is still fresh in my head I would post this here.

I am in no way affiliated with AVS and am not getting compensated for anything, but I recognized pretty quickly that these are people who actually care about what they sell and are doing their best to put out a quality product. Unless you are placing 6 figure orders with most of these large companies I dont think anyone will ever care if you are happy or call you. It was really nice to actually have found a good small business manufacturing specialty ammo like this. He said they are also going to have more sizes between the 221 and 223 in the future. The suggestion to order from AVS actually came from this thread I created a couple of days ago BTW, https://www.airgunnation.com/threads/huben-gk1-v3r-heaviest-ammo.1305960/

I'll update this thread with the performance of these slugs I receive.

What base slug did you guys use?

What base slug did you guys use?
flat seems to work best for me. i also use a 2mm seater to poke them in to a uniform depth, and they they go in just snug enough to have assurance they won't easily slip backwards and jam.

i just got some .2193's for my new 2024 k1 - it is what we were shooting at kelly's to pretty good effect, and avs also sent me some .221's to try.
i mostly like the 24-28gr in my gk1, and i'm going to be testing the 34 and 36gr in my k1.

Reactions: JaceSpace1369
flat seems to work best for me. i also use a 2mm seater to poke them in to a uniform depth, and they they go in just snug enough to have assurance they won't easily slip backwards and jam.

i just got some .2193's for my new 2024 k1 - it is what we were shooting at kelly's to pretty good effect, and avs also sent me some .221's to try.
i mostly like the 24-28gr in my gk1, and i'm going to be testing the 34 and 36gr in my k1.
Good to know! I thought about trying out the 223 Nielsen slugs.But I think they're too heavy at 36grs