Average Group Size

Hello everyone,

Early morning rain and when it stopped I had dead calm air so I got my 10-Meter range set up and had a great shoot. The attached photo is my best result of all targets shot to date. I really had my mojo working and shot three .177" and real close on the other two :love: . Best Average C to C Group score of .0040".

ThomasT
Best Average C to C Group 1.2.jpg

Hello everyone,

Ross @rsfrid came up with a great idea for this Challenge and it is to help us improve on our shooting. Well yesterday I did not shoot a very good card BUT, I did learn something about my technique and corrected a mistake that I was making. I hope I can explain this correctly and maybe other folks can benefit from this.

My scope at 10-Meters does not allow me to Absolutely Zero to Dead Center. If I make just one click to adjust the Windage to the right, my Point of Impact shifts too much. The same is true for Elevation. In other words the scope shoots just a “tad” bit low and to the left. If I add One Click to correct to the right my POI will shift more to the right than the previous left POI. I have learned to make that slight adjustment when I place the Center Dot of the Reticle on a bullseye.

OK here is where I was making an error shooting yesterday. Example: I shot the first pellet and the POI ( hole ) is NOT dead center. So what I did ( the mistake ), was on my second shot I aimed right at the first hole. Beings that my scope is off to low left by just a hair, the second POI hit just low and left of the first POI and I now have a slightly elongate hole.

Today I made an extra special effort to concentrate on NOT aiming at the hole (s) left from the previous shots but to aim at the center of the bullseye. Now I was forced to make an exception on target #4 ( see photo, I numbered the targets in the order that I shoot ) because I just plain missed my first shot. So I adjusted my aim point from the center of the first POI to slight upper right to compensate for my scope.

I hope this makes sense and that it will be helpful down the road.

ThomasT
Best Average C to C Group 1.2A.jpg

Hello everyone,

Ross @rsfrid came up with a great idea for this Challenge and it is to help us improve on our shooting. Well yesterday I did not shoot a very good card BUT, I did learn something about my technique and corrected a mistake that I was making. I hope I can explain this correctly and maybe other folks can benefit from this.

My scope at 10-Meters does not allow me to Absolutely Zero to Dead Center. If I make just one click to adjust the Windage to the right, my Point of Impact shifts too much. The same is true for Elevation. In other words the scope shoots just a “tad” bit low and to the left. If I add One Click to correct to the right my POI will shift more to the right than the previous left POI. I have learned to make that slight adjustment when I place the Center Dot of the Reticle on a bullseye.

OK here is where I was making an error shooting yesterday. Example: I shot the first pellet and the POI ( hole ) is NOT dead center. So what I did ( the mistake ), was on my second shot I aimed right at the first hole. Beings that my scope is off to low left by just a hair, the second POI hit just low and left of the first POI and I now have a slightly elongate hole.

Today I made an extra special effort to concentrate on NOT aiming at the hole (s) left from the previous shots but to aim at the center of the bullseye. Now I was forced to make an exception on target #4 ( see photo, I numbered the targets in the order that I shoot ) because I just plain missed my first shot. So I adjusted my aim point from the center of the first POI to slight upper right to compensate for my scope.

I hope this makes sense and that it will be helpful down the road.

ThomasT
View attachment 344402
That's why the super duper benchrest scopes have 1/8 or 1/10 moa clicks. I run into this all the time. Just hold off as you just did. Nice groups by the way. Glad you got to shoot today.

That's why the super duper benchrest scopes have 1/8 or 1/10 moa clicks. I run into this all the time. Just hold off as you just did. Nice groups by the way. Glad you got to shoot today.
Hello Ross,

I have gone back to the start of the year and reviewed most of my targets and found ( I am pretty sure ) quite a few where I believe I miss-shot targets where I had multi shots. Your target Challenge has no question help me improve my shooting, thank you (y)

ThomasT

Reactions: rsfrid
Hello Ross,

I have gone back to the start of the year and reviewed most of my targets and found ( I am pretty sure ) quite a few where I believe I miss-shot targets where I had multi shots. Your target Challenge has no question help me improve my shooting, thank you (y)

ThomasT
That's what it's all about Thomas. I hope others see some value to this exercise.

Reactions: ThomasT
Hello everyone,

Shot another Best Average C to C Group target this morning and used the information that I learned the other day and shot the Best Average card to date. Despite 15-20 mph winds this morning I really took my time and concentrated on each shot and wound up with a Best Average of .0026". I have to be honest, shooting this card really made me feel good :) .

ThomasT
Best Average C to C Group 1.3.jpg

Hello everyone,

Shot another Best Average C to C Group target this morning and used the information that I learned the other day and shot the Best Average card to date. Despite 15-20 mph winds this morning I really took my time and concentrated on each shot and wound up with a Best Average of .0026". I have to be honest, shooting this card really made me feel good :) .

ThomasT
View attachment 344618
Really great job Thomas. Keep up the great shooting.

• Love
Hello everyone,

April 1 and no March wind but April showers for the flowers, however the rain stopped and I was able to shoot a bunch of various targets today. Decided to shoot some domed pellets with the Crosman Challenger and tried a JSB Match Diabolo Exact 8.44gr and it shot pretty good. I put up a new Best Average C to C Group target and shot an Average of .0383" with this combination. Not as good as with some of the Wadcutter pellets but still pleased with the results.

ThomasT
Best Average C to C Group 1.4.jpg

Well, here is my first submission for 25 yards with my FX Impact 177 cal. Shot using weight sorted pellets, but not sorted for head size which seems to generate weird spread out groups and fliers. All in all, not bad at .176” center to center average over 12 groups of 5 shots all at 25 yards indoors.

IMG_2840.jpeg

Well, here is my first submission for 25 yards with my FX Impact 177 cal. Shot using weight sorted pellets, but not sorted for head size which seems to generate weird spread out groups and fliers. All in all, not bad at .176” center to center average over 12 groups of 5 shots all at 25 yards indoors.

View attachment 344859
Hello Ross,

That is some nice shooting at 25-yards (y)

ThomasT

Hello everyone,

OK I just had to try shooting the Best Average C to C Group target at 25-yards. On #1 in the blue circle I am eliminating those shots because I picked up the wrong clip with the incorrect pellets. I re-shot this target to the right side and counting that into the average. Shot this card with my FX Crown MK II .177 cal using FX 13.4gr pellets. As you can see, I have a lot of work to do to get the Average down by a whole lot shooting at 25-yards but that is what all this fun is about.

ThomasT
Best Average C to C Group 1.5.jpg

Hello everyone,

OK I just had to try shooting the Best Average C to C Group target at 25-yards. On #1 in the blue circle I am eliminating those shots because I picked up the wrong clip with the incorrect pellets. I re-shot this target to the right side and counting that into the average. Shot this card with my FX Crown MK II .177 cal using FX 13.4gr pellets. As you can see, I have a lot of work to do to get the Average down by a whole lot shooting at 25-yards but that is what all this fun is about.

ThomasT
View attachment 344877
I'm still trying to figure out how 4 pellets go into nearly the same hole then the 5th says “I don't like that spot over there, I think I'll go over here!" 😅🤣😂

I'm still trying to figure out how 4 pellets go into nearly the same hole then the 5th says “I don't like that spot over there, I think I'll go over here!" 😅🤣😂
Hey Ross,

I think you need to change the rules to FOUR shots :oops:

Boy I sure messed up on my calculations on my cards. The last two averages should have been:
.1915" instead of .0383, I know that was wrong when I wrote it down
The next card shot at 25-yards should have been 1.110 instead of 1.1298, not sure what the heck I did there.

Your score is much better than you posted, if I copied your numbers right. You might go back and re-calculate your numbers.

OK, this is still FUN.

ThomasT

Hey Ross,

I think you need to change the rules to FOUR shots :oops:

OK, this is still FUN.

ThomasT
Dottie said that if we weren't able to keep up with her, we might need to change the rules so our targets don't look so amateurish. Now I don't know about you, but to me that sounds like bragging. 😅🤣😂

• Love
Dottie said that if we weren't able to keep up with her, we might need to change the rules so our targets don't look so amateurish. Now I don't know about you, but to me that sounds like bragging. 😅🤣😂
Hello Ross,

My Grandfather always told me that it is not bragging if you are just POINTING out the truth ;)

ThomasT

• Wow
Hello everyone,

So that every body understands what dimension is the Aim / Goal of this challenge, I have made a drawing to explain what each measurement means. This challenge is looking for the Average Center to Center dimension. In other words the maximum distance between all 5 shots. I am only using Two pellets shot ( not all 5 ) for this example.

This example is for .177 caliber pellets but applies to all sizes.

In the drawing lower left, look at the Black Circle which represents the First Shot Pellet Hole. The Red Circle represents the Second Shot Pellet Hole. When you measure the furthest Outside to Outside dimension it is 0.2655". To find the Center to Center dimension, simply deduct .177" from the .2655" which is .0885". I have shown a second example in the upper right.

If you are shooting a different caliber ( ie. .22 ), you would deduct .22" from the furthest Outside to Outside dimension.

If you are using the Target that I have supplied then you have five (5) measurements to make, then add together and divide by 5. This Result will give you the overall Best Average Center to Center group.

If you have any questions please let me know, print some targets and get to shooting.

ThomasT
Offset-2.jpg

Hello everyone,

Absolutely perfect and beautiful Spring day with everything now green and flowers growing and NO WIND. And I just could not get my mo-jo working even with these great conditions. Here is my best effort so far shooting at 25-yards this morning. My Best Average for this card is a .1953", shooting my FX Crown MK II .177cal and using FX 13.4 pellets.

ThomasT
Best Average C to C Group 1.6.jpg