Average Group Size

I'm placing this in competitions even though it isn't meant to be. I thought I would start tracking average group size (center to center as would be typical) over a large number of targets. For me, that's either 6 bulls or 12 bulls since my HW44 mag holds 10 pellets and that divides out evenly. But for this first post I shot a card with 20 bulls (took a while) at my indoor basement range distance of 7 yards for an average of .025” for all 20 bulls. The ones marked 0 are just one hole 4.5mm in diameter for 0” C to C. @ThomasT

D9143C8A-4DA2-4999-9C34-2BC0E7735934.jpeg

This next one I shot yesterday when I was thinking how this would go. Only 6 bulls.

E12C1FA5-B23B-43C6-8349-DDADBE297860.jpeg

The notes show OVERALL GROUP SIZE not center to center.

I'm placing this in competitions even though it isn't meant to be. I thought I would start tracking average group size (center to center as would be typical) over a large number of targets. For me, that's either 6 bulls or 12 bulls since my HW44 mag holds 10 pellets and that divides out evenly. But for this first post I shot a card with 20 bulls (took a while) at my indoor basement range distance of 7 yards for an average of .025” for all 20 bulls. The ones marked 0 are just one hole 4.5mm in diameter for 0” C to C. @ThomasT

View attachment 343945

This next one I shot yesterday when I was thinking how this would go. Only 6 bulls.

View attachment 343946
The notes show OVERALL GROUP SIZE not center to center.
Hello @rsfrid

That is some mighty fine shooting and this is a great idea you have come up with.

ThomasT

Reactions: rsfrid
Hello everyone,

OK Guys and Gals this new challenge is going to be Fun and Educational. If you participate in it enough two things are for sure to happen, 1) you will have a lot of fun and 2) no question your shooting accuracy will also improve. You will learn a lot about your current shooting style and ability if you pay attention to the results on the targets that you shoot.

Attached are my first two cards, #1 shot with my Crosman Challenger .177 cal at 10-Meters and the second card was shot with my FX Crown MKII .177 cal also at 10-Meters.

I took extra care when I measured the spread on each group because I want to be as accurate as possible. What I did was scan the Shot Target so that the paper could lay absolutely flat and there would be no movement or change in the hole that I was measuring. Then I wrote the measurement down next too the hole.

Because I plan to shoot a lot of these targets and to make sure I was doing the calculations correctly, I wrote a short program in my spread sheet ( see photo ). Next, I “locked” all the cells on the page so that nothing could be changed by accident. Then I unlocked the cells ( in green ) because these are the variables where your current information will be entered. This program will allow for me to shoot any caliber just by entering that value in the green “Caliber” cell. There are 5 “Inch”cells in green to allow the measured values from the 5 shot targets on each different card. Next to the 5 green Inch cells are 5 blue Result cells ( which are locked ) that show the calculation for the Average Center to Center for that specific “inch value entered”. The program then adds all five of the Results and divides that by five to give you the over all Best Average Center to Center Group that you shot on that card.

As you can see, Target #1 has a Best Average ( 0.116900" ) of just under 1/8" deviation. Target #2 was shot a lot better with a Best Average of 0.028240" which is less than 1/32". As I had stated earlier, this will be fun and challenging for me to improve shooting both of these rifles.

ThomasT

Best Average C to C Group 1.0A.jpg
Best Average C to C Group 1.0B.jpg
Spread Sheet 1.1.jpg

• Wow
Hello everyone,

OK Guys and Gals this new challenge is going to be Fun and Educational. If you participate in it enough two things are for sure to happen, 1) you will have a lot of fun and 2) no question your shooting accuracy will also improve. You will learn a lot about your current shooting style and ability if you pay attention to the results on the targets that you shoot.

Attached are my first two cards, #1 shot with my Crosman Challenger .177 cal at 10-Meters and the second card was shot with my FX Crown MKII .177 cal also at 10-Meters.

I took extra care when I measured the spread on each group because I want to be as accurate as possible. What I did was scan the Shot Target so that the paper could lay absolutely flat and there would be no movement or change in the hole that I was measuring. Then I wrote the measurement down next too the hole.

Because I plan to shoot a lot of these targets and to make sure I was doing the calculations correctly, I wrote a short program in my spread sheet ( see photo ). Next, I “locked” all the cells on the page so that nothing could be changed by accident. Then I unlocked the cells ( in green ) because these are the variables where your current information will be entered. This program will allow for me to shoot any caliber just by entering that value in the green “Caliber” cell. There are 5 “Inch”cells in green to allow the measured values from the 5 shot targets on each different card. Next to the 5 green Inch cells are 5 blue Result cells ( which are locked ) that show the calculation for the Average Center to Center for that specific “inch value entered”. The program then adds all five of the Results and divides that by five to give you the over all Best Average Center to Center Group that you shot on that card.

As you can see, Target #1 has a Best Average ( 0.116900" ) of just under 1/8" deviation. Target #2 was shot a lot better with a Best Average of 0.028240" which is less than 1/32". As I had stated earlier, this will be fun and challenging for me to improve shooting both of these rifles.

ThomasT

View attachment 343998View attachment 343999View attachment 344000
Very nice. Who did you get to shoot those targets? 😅🤣😂 Dottie shot for me.

• Haha
Reactions: ThomasT
Just thought I'd share this picture with you Thomas as I know how you feel about snow. This is what fresh snow in March looks like!

View attachment 344140

Winter isn't over in Michigan! 🥶
Hello @rsfrid

Well beings that I am from Texas I must admit to my ignorance about snow......I really cannot tell the difference between December snow and March snow :confused: . I'm telling you, I would go Bat Crazy Mad if I woke this morning and saw that on the ground.

We had a nice Spring shower this morning and I walked in my flower garden where I have four cages of Cucumbers planted ( just last week ) and about a dozen are already up. I will be picking fresh cukes in 55 days or less :D.

Not sure if I will be able to shoot any paper today, but hopefully this rain will stop early.

Have a great day,
ThomasT

• Love
@rsfrid PLEASE keep your Michigan weather in Michigan!? We usuall get your leftovers here in northern NY 2-3 days later and we're all ready for spring!

@ThomasT and the other shooter(s); very nice work! Are these all shot with scoped guns or all open sights? I'm not sure how that target will look through my aperture sights, but will find out this weekend.

• Haha
Reactions: ThomasT and rsfrid
Are these all shot with scoped guns or all open sights? I'm not sure how that target will look through my aperture sights, but will find out this weekend.
It really doesn't matter what gun or configuration or shooting distance. We are not competing for best. This is an exercise for you to determine how well you do with your chosen gun and ammo. Try for consistency and try to reduce your average group size by perfecting your hold and wind reading abilities.

• Love
Reactions: ThomasT
Hello everyone,

Got a really late start today for shooting because of rain and more March winds. Only shot one Best Average C to C Group target and it is not my best. I ate way too much of Uncle Tom's Chili for lunch and it threw off my concentration ( hey I have to blame it on something ), but I might get to shoot more later on this evening.
Best Average Score for this card: .0728" :oops:

ThomasT
Best Average C to C Group 1.1.jpg

It really doesn't matter what gun or configuration or shooting distance. We are not competing for best. This is an exercise for you to determine how well you do with your chosen gun and ammo. Try for consistency and try to reduce your average group size by perfecting your hold and wind reading abilities.
Man... As much you been shooting this winter it just become a natural for you now.. you Probably can do it in your sleep ..lol

Looking good 😉

• Love
Reactions: rsfrid and ThomasT
Understood, but I'm still blown away by the level of accuracy as well as consistency. I can't imagine achieving that myself at 10 meters with open sights. I'll certainly give it a try though!

• Love
Reactions: rsfrid and ThomasT
Understood, but I'm still blown away by the level of accuracy as well as consistency. I can't imagine achieving that myself at 10 meters with open sights. I'll certainly give it a try though!
Hello @BlindPig95

The main thing is to simply get started shooting and see where you are with your current set up. Shoot enough to get comfortable and follow your improvements. At 10-meters your open sights might not offer the same level of accuracy but you might be surprised how well you do. I am assuming that you will be shooting from a bench and bags. Looking forward to your postings. HAVE FUN :love:

ThomasT

Most handgun shooters with open sights practice at 7 yards. IDPA matches have this distance as a regular thing. Try sticking with 7 yards as I do, and rest the pistol on bags. Practice your handhold. As Thomas says, you'll get better over time.