Air Venturi Avenger reg oring size

Anyone know the size of oring that goes on the avenger reg? I’ve replaced it with one that looked similar from the bags of orings that the rifle came with but it’s still not holding air. It was very difficult to do so I rather not make another mistake.

IMG_4416.jpeg

The schematic identifies it as:

O ring φ2.4*φ1.8 hardness 90° JSR

The 1.8mm figure translates to 0.070in which is usually a reliable indication it is in -00x series of SAE O-ring sizes. However the 2.4mm figure (0.094in) does not match up to any of the standard sizes, and is instead somewhere between a -004 and -005:
image_2023-12-19_220644294.png

If this callout is correct, someone at Air Venturi deserves 20 lashes with a wet noodle, a clogged bathtub drain, and an infestation of bed bugs. Not so much because it is a nonstandard size...a supplier like theoringstore has lots of nonstandard sizes available. But it is a nonstandard size in 90 durometer, which dramatically diminishes the odds of finding a match.

So I hope the callout has a typo and someone will come along to correct it. Or do you have a set of calipers to measure the thickness and OD? EDIT: Your closeup photo is clear enough to tell me you have the correct size installed. It fills the groove and the apex stands just proud of the piston. Meaning the source of the leak is likely a different O-ring, or perhaps a scratch or other defect in a mating surface.

A copy of the schematic is attached for reference.

Attachments

• Avenger schematic.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 18
Last edited:
The schematic identifies it as:

O ring φ2.4*φ1.8 hardness 90° JSR

The 1.8mm figure translates to 0.070in which is usually a reliable indication it is in -00x series of SAE O-ring sizes. However the 2.4mm figure (0.094in) does not match up to any of the standard sizes, and is instead somewhere between a -004 and -005:
View attachment 417175

If this callout is correct, someone at Air Venturi deserves 20 lashes with a wet noodle, a clogged bathtub drain, and an infestation of bed bugs. Not so much because it is a nonstandard size...a supplier like theoringstore has lots of nonstandard sizes available. But it is a nonstandard size in 90 durometer, which dramatically diminishes the odds of finding a match.

So I hope the callout has a typo and someone will come along to correct it. Or do you have a set of calipers to measure the thickness and OD? EDIT: Your closeup photo is clear enough to tell me you have the correct size installed. It fills the groove and the apex stands just proud of the piston. Meaning the source of the leak is likely a different O-ring, or perhaps a scratch or other defect in a mating surface.

A copy of the schematic is attached for reference.
Thanks, that picture above is the original oring that’s leaking before I replaced it with one from the bag full of various orings. Will something like a 2.4x1.8mm nbr90 work?

Thanks, that picture above is the original oring that’s leaking before I replaced it with one from the bag full of various orings.
Just curious, could you detect anything wrong with it? Had it become brittle, was there a bite taken out of it, or anything else that you could discern?

The reason I'm asking is, in the photo it looks new. There's no sign of compression set whatsoever which is unheard of for the high pressure end of a regulator piston.

Will something like a 2.4x1.8mm nbr90 work?
Yes, if the schematic callout is correct, that should be an exact replacement. If you can measure the thickness and OD with calipers, that would be a good idea to confirm it. Post up the measurements if you are unsure.

BTW I don't recognize the "JSR" term in the description...I'm far from an O-ring expert but I've purchased and replaced a lot of O-rings over the last decade or so and have never encountered it as a reference to material or hardness. But a glossy black O-ring in an airgun is Buna-N (NBR) about 99.9% of the time.

Here is the oring size for the avenger for the regulator. It took me a while to find the right size but here it is or at least what i found. They are a pain the the butt to put on.

View attachment 432967
Thanks for this, been trying to find these instead of at Pyramid. Mine was like hard plastic and broke into pieces on removal. Thanks for the link!

No worries. I was able to get it on by placing the oring in some very hot water for about a min or so.
Just ordered these man! It's a whole dollar for fifty so I used fed ex ground for delivery. Order was $12.00 with freight. So cool! Thanks again bro, these should be replaced often I believe so this is enough for a few years! Lol.

Reactions: charlie99
The captain oring bag had lots of orings but nothing the exact size. The one I used was too big and doesn't slide easily. Fyi, my kit I ordered has all the orings for barrels, air tubes, etc. but the tiny ones didn't fit right. Do you have a diagram that shows how the bevel washers go back in the regulator? I need to restack mine correctly. Thank you again!