Avenger issues??

I was looking at getting a PCP gun awhile back and really wanted the Avenger but life got in the way. I'm ready to get one now BUT it's looking like a Marauder or Gauntlet 2 are the ones to go after and a Diana that shows up as well. I think the Marauder would be my choice just because of the warranty. Anyways, back to the Avenger ... what happened? IS there an issue keeping them off some "Top 5" lists? I wouldn't think so based on what I saw and read before. Then again ... there is a reason not to buy something new to the market I suppose. Oh ... Can a moderator be used on an Avenger, Marauder or Gauntlet 2? Out of those 3, which would you suggest? I really like the Avenger with wood stock. That's my choice but again ...............

Last edited:
My brother has an Avenger .22 that he got last October. Paid a little extra and got the wood stock. Definitely worth the little extra to get the wood. It’s a big improvement over the plastic stock. It’s been a great rifle for him and he loves it. No troubles so far. Out to 45 yards it shoots groups that are keeping up just fine with my FX rifles. I helped him tune the rifle to shoot JSB Exact 15.89 grain pellets at about 870.
He did put a DonnyFL Tatsu on his Avenger. Had to buy an adapter to make it fit. Hope that helps you some.
Kenny

Reactions: NY_AirGunner
I have an Avenger in .22, was my first and now have a L2 and a Brocock Sniper as well. For the money the Avenger is an incredible value. My only complaints are that the plastic version feels hollow and cheap but it functions very well and is very accurate. You can tune it easily for a wide range of pellets. I found the factory tune works great with 18gr+ as it's on the hot side.

My only other complaint is that I cannot stand the plastic magazine design that this and many other rifles use. They are cheap and light material so if anything isn't perfectly centered up, the pellet pusher chews up the magazines. It's hard to know if the pellet is snug vs the mag not indexing fully and the pusher mashing on the separator between the chambers. AE Swede machines magazines from Delrin and his mags are definitely better and not a bad option if you find you like the rifle.

I'm probably going to order a wood stock for mine just to make it feel a bit more solid, but it functions just fine without it.

The only manufacturing issue I had with my Avenger was that the hammer spring adjusting bolt was frozen. And that bolt is a little small, so I didn't want to take the chance and force it, perhaps breaking it. So off it went for warranty repair (at my expense to ship it back to them).

Mine was a plastic stocked version, and I echo what others have said - that the wood stock would likely be much nicer.

Other than that, the Avenger is built to a price point, and it always felt that way to me. Other lower end guns are also built to a price point, but they don't always feel like it. My Avenger seemed to be pretty accurate out to the 50 yards I tested it. Just slightly more accurate than the Benjamin Cayden I was testing it against. The Avenger's trigger is adjustable, where the Cayden's is not. And, of course, there is the adjustable reg on the Avenger.

But even with less adjustability and being slightly less accurate, the Cayden was the gun I enjoyed shooting more. I ended up selling the Cayden to a local friend, who still shoots it as his only PCP airgun. I ended up giving the Avenger away to a different friend, who had big plans on how he could improve it. And he soon gave it away to someone else who was just getting started with airguns.

Some folks really love the Avenger. I am not one of them.

NY,
Was in your shoes 18 months ago, decided the Gauntlet (First Generation) was for me. Scared away from Avenger by reports of chronic leaks and Marauder wasn't regulated. Today, Avenger leaks appear resolved and a regulated Marauder (Field and Target) Model is available. Today, of the three, my choice would be the Avenger, since both Gauntlet 2 and Marauder are long, heavy and still using older technology. The lighter, shorter Avenger has side-lever action, easy adjustability and regulated, all at a good price point. Many Avenger owners aren't crazy about the synthetic stock, so the wood one seems like a good investment. A new "starter" PCP line will soon be arriving, the Airacuda. Do yourself a favor and investigate, this would be my clear choice now. WM

My Avenger had to be returned for warranty work to fix leak. Other than that the factory mags don't work if you fill past 4 rounds. The gun is easy to set up for your preferred ammo and is very accurate. I also like that it is light weight. For $350 I am not going to complain too much. I have near $2000. guns that don't do much better than the Avenger.

My Avenger had to be returned for warranty work to fix leak. Other than that the factory mags don't work if you fill past 4 rounds. The gun is easy to set up for your preferred ammo and is very accurate. I also like that it is light weight. For $350 I am not going to complain too much. I have near $2000. guns that don't do much better than the Avenger.
I agree on the magazines. I just throw the Avenger mags away and I bought CARM mag and single shot loader. They work like a dream.

I have the 25 cal avenger and i love it for what it is, I have modded it,You can do the same with any of the 3 you have mentioned. You have to ask your self,How many foot-pounds do you need? Do You like to tinker? and what kind of build quality are you looking for? Hunting or plinking, warranty? What ever you decide if they offer to test it, holds air/ do some test to make sure its ok to ship.There are so many good 25 cals out there,Do your home work and i think you will be that much happier. see what they have to offer if you buy thru them,, coffee mug, t=shirt, lol

After a little more experience with my Avenger I still like the accuracy, but you can't get parts for it. It will be repaired under waranty if you want to ship it off. Problem is, all I need is an easily replaced air bleed assembly. I am starting to see why it was only $350. Air Venturi has a bazilion of them made in china and only provides mail in service. They know eventually most people will give up on them and they come out way ahead, even at $350.

I have a 25 caliber Avenger, a Marauder Pistol (I shoot it as a carbine) and 3 SPA P35s. I like my Avenger and it is accurate. I had to send it back to fix a leak when I got it but it has been fine ever since. I have the plastic stock version. In terms of build quality, I would put the Marauder pistol first, the P35s next and then the Avenger. The Avenger works fine but the trigger was pretty bad when I got it. I put in a longer sear screw and managed to get it adjusted to my liking. I drilled holes in the shroud and added a in shroud moderator and it is quiet enough for backyard use now. I also used a Tanto on it before getting the in shroud moderator and it worked but it made an already long gun longer. I do not like the plastic bushing supporting the shroud. I don't like the three piece thin plastic stock. The front picatinny rail is plastic and wiggly. The holes for a sling are too small for any sling hardware I know of. But it shoots well and is powerful and it is easy to tune.

The only trigger I was happy with out of the box is the Marauder Pistol. It is still my best trigger. The P35s are just over 5 lbs and under 30 inches long but give power almost as high as the Avenger. My P35-22 is more accurate than my Avenger. My P35-177 is about the same as the Avenger and my P35-25 is noticably less accurate than my Avenger. I've killed the most squirrels with the P35-25.

You'll have an easier time getting parts for the Marauder. There is a large aftermarket and Crosman is great if you don't mind calling them. They don't seem to sell parts over the internet.

The Avenger is an inexpensive, cheaply made product. Regardless of it's performance it won't last long enough to hand down, to much plastic. My advice is to save a little more and get something that will be long living.
I couldn't disagree more on how long an Avenger will last. I say it will last as long as any. It may need a valve poppet replacement after a while if it came with a metal one but I can make a new Delrin poppet in 5 minutes for less than $2 in material. There's no reason for an Avenger to have less life than an fx impact unless you use it as a sledge hammer. I also don't see much plastic other than the stock which I like for it's light weight and the cocking lever.
Low price. $350 new or $250 used.
Shoots well.
Highly tunable.
Lots of mods and accessories.
The Avenger would be my #1 pick as the most airgun for your money.

Last edited:
Great discussion about quality, function, and lifespan. I mod all of my pcp’s and the end product of the work done with my 25cal avenger ranks it among the best in all respects. The cheap receiver continues to work as designed. I am at a loss as to just why people continue to rag on the light plastic stocks when it turns out that this configuration is an asset for weight and balance for a full length pcp rifle. It is suitable for both field or bench use. At least in my opinion adding the wood stock makes it too heavy for proper field use. Yeah, the plastic stock is butt ugly and crude but you should see what some sandpaper and spray paint and a little tlc can do for it.
Hard to disagree with heavy-impact.

Reactions: BackStop
Great discussion about quality, function, and lifespan. I mod all of my pcp’s and the end product of the work done with my 25cal avenger ranks it among the best in all respects. The cheap receiver continues to work as designed. I am at a loss as to just why people continue to rag on the light plastic stocks when it turns out that this configuration is an asset for weight and balance for a full length pcp rifle. It is suitable for both field or bench use. At least in my opinion adding the wood stock makes it too heavy for proper field use. Yeah, the plastic stock is butt ugly and crude but you should see what some sandpaper and spray paint and a little tlc can do for it.
Hard to disagree with heavy-impact.
I very much agree , And the stock also. I have a AEA 357 big bore that i love but, its heavy so when you pick up the avenger,, nothing but smiles!!!

IMG_20220626_153701458_HDR (1).jpg

I'm having a blast with my .22 caliber wood stock Avenger. I use mine 5 days a week since I am currently retired, however I have no complaints. The only two modifications I have made to the gun so far to improve its accuracy are an oring delete and the aftermarket Carm magazines. I also have a Kaliburgun Cricket II Tactical in .22 caliber as well but I use the avenger a lot more since it’s currently tuned to shoot with the crosman premier domes ultra magnum 14.13 grain pellets which are more affordable while the Cricket is tuned to shoot with the JSBs exact jumbo heavy’s 18 grams. I am using the avenger with a Caldwell stinger shooting rest, a Hawke 3x9x50 vantage scope with Hawke medium height rings a DannyFL adapter and FX moderator. With the Cricket I am using the Caldwell precision turret rest with a Arken Gen II FFP 4X16x50 scope with the Arken medium height 34mm rings and a DannyFL Sumo moderator. Both airguns are currently shooting like tack drivers.

85CDC931-E2CA-467F-B254-8FFC553FA2A0.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: rsfrid
The avenger is a flat out great rifle when you get the kinks out. The biggest for me and I’ve owned two were and extremely low POI out of the box. If they would fix this (maybe they have??) the would without question be the best bang for the buck. I put a Donny Fl adapter, aftermarket barrel band and shimmed the rear scope ring of my scope with pop can pieces. After these changes I was able to easily zero at 52 yards and groups were 3/4 inch and less.

Finally, for the love of god would people stop with the BS that leads new shooters to believe they have to fill the gun to 4300 psi. You don’t have to whatsoever. I never filled mine past 3600-3700 and did it with a hand pump regularly. It wasn’t that bad and they shot fine.

The Avenger may be the best for your buck 'budget' PCP rifle. I've got both the original (plastic stock) in .25 and I also have the avenger bullpup in .22
I am not a fan of the bullpup for 2 reasons. The trigger on the bullpup avenger is HORRIBLE compared to the regular avenger. Also the the scope rail is set way too high on the bullpup for me. I also own a regulated marauder in .22. The Avenger is definitely better value for your money than the marauder. WIth the adjustable hammer and regulator it's a no brainer. Also, yes it is a "4300" psi rifle, but that doesn't mean you have to pump it up to that pressure. Even if you only pump it up to 3000-3500 psi and have your reg set properly, you will still get a lot of shots.

Reactions: Foulksnation