• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back to a traditional "Forum List" view, and/or "Light" mode click HERE.

Avenger, great potential and possibly underrated pcp rifle.

Yeah, mine only does slightly under 5 turns on the hammer, not 6.
Also, I don't think the hammer spring tension is very repeatable. When I've been tuning mine, I'll reach a sweet spot where I'm getting pellet on pellet/ slug on slug performance. If I do an increase in hammer spring tension and find that my group opens up, I usually can't just turn back down to that sweet spot and get the same results.

THEN AGAIN, total tuning novice and I don't really have a feel for all of this yet. I'm sure my gun in the hands of an expert would shoot laser beams all day long, but it's not worked out for me yet.

I love my 25 cal Avenger. i shoot woodchuck and coyotes. squirrels and rabbits.

avenger_25_cal_33_6_gr_nsa_slug_1024_1.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20220714_154945132_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220714_154945132_HDR.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 16
Mine is 25cal also and your specs look very good. Certainly the critters can’t argue with your results. My concerns begin when printing on targets at 75 to 100yds from the bench with various pellets and slugs,and only then do the irregularities show themselves. Presently after much testing and mods I am thinking that the hammer spring might be the culpret and maybe aftermarket springs or double springs could lead to target accuracy of sub moa thats repeatable.

Reactions: 357cal
I just shot a fill that gave me 200 shots and had enough air for 50 more shots.

My 22 Avenger is tuned to shoot chp’s at 600 fps for shooting inside at 10 yards. It has a laminated and formed leather cheek rest, the Donnyfl barrel support and the longer screw trigger mod.

The regulator is set at 1100 psi, which is as far as it can go down, and the hammer spring has been shortened by cutting off .09 inches. This took me from 800 fps to 500 fps. I then turned the hammer spring to give me 600 fps.

Accuracy is outstanding for 10 shot groups and the noise level is close to the sound our bedroom door makes when being closed.

The Avenger is one of 3 rifle I shoot inside, the other two have LWPC and mmhf barrels and are tuned to 500-600 fps, the Avenger outshoots both.

I am very critical of Chinese guns, particularly Snowpeak’s quality control, or lack there-of, but mostly their barrels and barrel prepping/maching. However the AV Avenger’s barrel is superb. They should consider offering them for sale as a stand alone Ustinov to lw and TJ.

Regards,

Roachcreek

Reactions: fusion and ronw828
2 things have held me off of buying an Avenger, and they may seem trivial to many.

1. I REALLY liked having the knob on the Freedom/Liberty to switch quickly from ~12fpe to ~20fpe.

ALL later versions based on the Freedom/Liberty i.e, the Avenger/Etc did away with this option.

2. The pressure tube and the barrel are the same length so I can't easily mount a DIY moderator.
The Freedom/Liberty/Avenger are TOO loud and I refuse to be extorted to pay the price of an adapter and moderator when I could make my own slip-on for less than $20 (actually less than $5 each for at least 4 airguns) , except for the fact that the barrel/shroud and pressure tube are the same length.

Those 2 things kept/keep me from buying a LOUD Avenger. And it IS loud, just like the Freedoms I owned were LOUD until I mounted DIY slip-on moderators.

JMHO-YMMV
I put Hajimotos strip stack in mine and it does a nice job of hushing things down a bit. I already had the donny extender and still wanted to use it so I just turned down the tube / centralizer off the back. The air stripper is now the centralizer and if I want another moderator, I can fit it to the extender.

I know, it's kind of a waste of the extender but it's how I like it.

I put Hajimotos strip stacking mine and it does a nice job of hushing things down a bit. Ialready had the donny extender and still wanted to use it so I just turned down the tube / centralizer off the back. The air stripper is now the centralizer and if I want another moderator, incan fit it to the extender.

I know, it's kind of a waste of the extender but it's how I like it.
Did you put holes in the shroud near the chamber end? I don't know if Haj still recommends it, but I would never do it.

Thanks for the reply!

I have not done it yet simply because I have not come across a piece of sponge I'm happy with yet.
Keep in mind that most baffled shrouds do NOT have holes and work well. For example, the Marauder, Fortitude, DAR, etc, etc, etc.

Although it *may* reduce the noise level slightly, you can't undo it (for the most part) without replacing the shroud.

Even most add-on silencers/moderators don't require any added holes to work well.

Just my 2¢

Your experience may be different/mileage may vary. (smile)

Keep in mind that most baffled shrouds do NOT have holes and work well. For example, the Marauder, Fortitude, DAR, etc, etc, etc.

Although it *may* reduce the noise level slightly, you can't undo it (for the most part) without replacing the shroud.

Even most add-on silencers/moderators don't require any added holes to work well.

Just my 2¢

Your experience may be different/mileage may vary. (smile)
The shroud is just a piece of cheap aluminum tube. I have 3 avengers in .22, wood, plastic and bullpup. The plastic is my test rig making, testing, trying parts / tunes etc on.

I see the possible benefits of stopping the expanding air from bouncing off the air already in the shroud and allowing it to 'slowly' expand and escape from the rear of the shroud.

Funnily enough even I saw Haj going this I had an "I knew it!" moment. I designed an air rifle moderator when I was in high school but had neither the funds, skills or equipment to make it and try it out. This moderator had wrapped cloth in the back with vents.

Also, don't 0db moderators have vents in them? Or is that mesh just for looks?

The shroud is just a piece of cheap aluminum tube. I have 3 avengers in .22, wood, plastic and bullpup. The plastic is my test rig making, testing, trying parts / tunes etc on.

I see the possible benefits of stopping the expanding air from bouncing off the air already in the shroud and allowing it to 'slowly' expand and escape from the rear of the shroud.

Funnily enough even I saw Haj going this I had an "I knew it!" moment. I designed an air rifle moderator when I was in high school but had neither the funds, skills or equipment to make it and try it out. This moderator had wrapped cloth in the back with vents.

Also, don't 0db moderators have vents in them? Or is that mesh just for looks?
Some moderators do have "vents", but I have seen no objective evidence that it makes them quieter.

And THAT is exactly the problem. Testing moderators requires a *standardized method* and nobody has come up with one.

I know the makers of moderators will not do it, because it will take away their *marketing* mystique. Some private individuals have

tried to be neutral when comparing moderators, but that is still not a "standard".

Also, what is quiet to one person may be loud to another because everyone's ears/hearing capabilities are different and affected by so many factors.\

Anyway, put the holes in if you want to, but I will bet you won't see much, if any, improvement in noise reduction.

Have you ever noticed that some of the most popular airgun moderators are simply a large hollow tube with dampening material of some sort? Yep. (smile)

Think hair curlers, washers, Scotch Brite, etc, etc... (chuckle)

Some moderators do have "vents", but I have seen no objective evidence that it makes them quieter.

And THAT is exactly the problem. Testing moderators requires a *standardized method* and nobody has come up with one.

I know the makers of moderators will not do it, because it will take away their *marketing* mystique. Some private individuals have

tried to be neutral when comparing moderators, but that is still not a "standard".

Also, what is quiet to one person may be loud to another because everyone's ears/hearing capabilities are different and affected by so many factors.\

Anyway, put the holes in if you want to, but I will bet you won't see much, if any, improvement in noise reduction.

Have you ever noticed that some of the most popular airgun moderators are simply a large hollow tube with dampening material of some sort? Yep. (smile)

Think hair curlers, washers, Scotch Brite, etc, etc... (chuckle)
Some motorcycle exhaust mufflers are the same. Just a big stainless steel / aluminum / titanium tune with some fireproof packing and mesh tube to hold it place.

I just figure it's worth giving it a shot to see if it works out or not.

Reidy,
You seem to be on the same path as me when it comes to venting the shroud. After first drilling only one 1/8” hole in the shroud tube near the breach there was a large release of pressure there as well as sound. Adding a fitted wad made from a “Mr Clean” kitchen cleaning pad made a difference. I settled on four thicknesses of these wads here as being the correct balance. This seems to allow the pressure to silently escape the shroud at the breech end so that the moderator of your choice doesn’t have to work so hard. Like you I also cut the aftermarket DonnyFL extender tube from the muzzle and added an air stripper at the muzzle and added stacks in the remaining space. Several moderators all gave good performance but I finally settled on a threaded 8”long 3D printed set up that I found on eBay to the shroud/muzzle. This one fills the 4” void at the tip with baffles that continue another 4” beyond the bbl tip remaining flush with the shroud tube, and keeps the rifle as short and light as possible and about as quiet as the more expensive moderators did. I really like it…

You can make them yourself if you want. For .22 caliber use Tygon 2.5mm x 5mm for .22 caliber. Cut to 4mm length. https://www.amazon.com/HIPA-10-Feet-Tubing-Chainsaw-Trimmer/dp/B00V9XS07C/ For .25 caliber use https://www.amazon.com/HIPA-10-Feet-Tubing-Chainsaw-Trimmer/dp/B00V9XRZSC/ Enough to make 781 seals for $10-12 usd so you can sell some or give some away. This is exactly the same as the o-ring delete you see on youtube.
This was the best advice here. Did exactly as described by buying the same product and using a razor blade, making a mess out of the first few tries, then inserted a metal tube inside the tubing leaving just the amount needed out of the metal inserted tube and cutting several working wide o rings off of it. I have over 9 feet left, so this will last me a lifetime, I think. Shoots better than new. Just prior to this I could not get my gun to take a charge as you could hear the air leaking out when trying to fill. Now it is perfect again. Love this pellet gun.