Avenger, great potential and possibly underrated pcp rifle.

2 things have held me off of buying an Avenger, and they may seem trivial to many.

1. I REALLY liked having the knob on the Freedom/Liberty to switch quickly from ~12fpe to ~20fpe.

ALL later versions based on the Freedom/Liberty i.e, the Avenger/Etc did away with this option.

2. The pressure tube and the barrel are the same length so I can't easily mount a DIY moderator.
The Freedom/Liberty/Avenger are TOO loud and I refuse to be extorted to pay the price of an adapter and moderator when I could make my own slip-on for less than $20 (actually less than $5 each for at least 4 airguns) , except for the fact that the barrel/shroud and pressure tube are the same length.

Those 2 things kept/keep me from buying a LOUD Avenger. And it IS loud, just like the Freedoms I owned were LOUD until I mounted DIY slip-on moderators.

JMHO-YMMV
Every person its entitle to their own opinion, since I am retired I shot my two pcp guns my avenger and Kaliburgun Cricket 2 Tactical almost daily. Do to my current physical limitations after I suffered a catastrophic back injury in an accident during a road bike race when I was our local national champion in my master class. Due to this situation currently I do all my shooting from my backyard and I live in a very peaceful and super quiet neighborhood. Despite this none of my closest neighbors have complained of some unnecessary noises coming from one of my two guns.

But both of them have moderators installed one 3D printed that despite his relative low cost its doing his job very well and I am currently using a DonnyFL FX in my Cricket. The .22 cal guns are more quieter than the bigger .25 and .30 calibers the trick is to try to not shot them at more than 1000 fps because at this power lever is that they become extremely noisy.

Reactions: Crimson Mist
Every person its entitle to their own opinion, since I am retired I shot my two pcp guns my avenger and Kaliburgun Cricket 2 Tactical almost daily. Do to my current physical limitations after I suffered a catastrophic back injury in an accident during a road bike race when I was our local national champion in my master class. Due to this situation currently I do all my shooting from my backyard and I live in a very peaceful and super quiet neighborhood. Despite this none of my closest neighbors have complained of some unnecessary noises coming from one of my two guns.

But both of them have moderators installed one 3D printed that despite his relative low cost its doing his job very well and I am currently using a DonnyFL FX in my Cricket. The .22 cal guns are more quieter than the bigger .25 and .30 calibers the trick is to try to not shot them at more than 1000 fps because at this power lever is that they become extremely noisy.
Sorry to hear about your physical limitations.

For me, in my situation, they are TOO loud without some sort of moderation and I refuse to pay for a moderator that will be no better than I can make myself, but my DIY has to be able to be slipped on. I don't have the tools to make adapters, etc, to fit my DIY moderator on the end of the barrel.

However, as I said, if the pressure tube AND the shroud/barrel are the same length, then my DIY slip-ons can't work. They simply will not fit.

I also ONLY shoot in my backyard and have had no complaints, but if I were to shoot without moderation, I am not sure that *someone* might not complain.

To each their own and everyone's situation is different. (smile)

Man, I'm pretty jealous of everyone who has sweet shooting AVAs. I threw just about every mod and upgrade at my .25 and it still only seems to like a couple of pellets and no slugs. I'm a total novice at tuning airguns so I'm sure that's got a lot to do with it, but it's been a frustrating journey so far. Just ordered an AEA Varmint as a hunting rifle and the future of my AVA is up in the air.

Loud is subjective and I’m learning “loud” is different in the airgun community than most of the rest of the world. I don’t think avengers are loud at all. Especially the 22. Just my stupid opinion but I don’t think they can be touched for the money. They have part support and have proven reliable to me. I have owned a 22 and still have a 25. No problems from either once broken in a bit. Wish I could say the same for my fx which is back at fx USA for a reseal and valve problems. Anyone that has chosen to bypass this gun is missing out in my opinion.

Compared to most shrouded or moderated .22 rifles at a similar power level, my Avenger is on the loud side of the spectrum. For the most part, it is (was) the result of too much hammer spring tension and the absence of baffles.

The HST isn’t a criticism really because the right amount just depends on what power level the owner wants to set it up to do. I wanted it somewhere under 30fpe rather than the 36fpe it arrived with, and the hammer spring adjuster didn’t have enough range to get there so I simply shortener the hammer spring. No big deal.

However I don’t understand the lack of baffles. It can’t be a cost saving measure because some little injection molded cups would be negligible. Maybe something to do with regulations and the logistics of global distribution? If so, other brands overcome it.

So I could name a few small quibbles like that but overall I think it is a stellar value in the very competitive budget segment.

I shot the .22 Avenger I bought from Trucker3573 alongside my son's .22 Gauntlet 2 yesterday. The Avenger shot 18 grain pellets at 900 while the G2 shot them at 990. The G2 was at least twice as loud as the Avenger. I also believe the Avenger is by far the most bang for the buck in a pcp.
Got your pm. Glad to hear the avenger is working out good! That gun was a shooter for sure. I should have kept it as I’m itching for another one in 22. Lol.

I shot the .22 Avenger I bought from Trucker3573 alongside my son's .22 Gauntlet 2 yesterday. The Avenger shot 18 grain pellets at 900 while the G2 shot them at 990. The G2 was at least twice as loud as the Avenger. I also believe the Avenger is by far the most bang for the buck in a pcp.

Interesting. I run my Guantlet 2 .25 unmoderated and it's pretty much my most quiet gun. A little "pop" and that's it. My Hatsan Hydra in .25 is louder even with it's "quiet energy" baffles and lower power.

Personally, I'd take the extra power on a .22 .... 90 fps is pretty significant and gives you a few more options.

I'm def not a hater on Avengers though... I recommend them to anyone looking for entry level PCP that has a nice stock, great accuracy and easy cocking.

Personally, I'd take the extra power on a .22 .... 90 fps is pretty significant and gives you a few more options.
I like both guns and gave my son (34) the option of either, he picked the G2. The Avenger we shot last is my second one and it's a lot more accurate than my other. My son didn't come right out and say it but I could tell he liked this particular Avenger better than his G2 because of the small consistent groups it produced.
I purchased two Avengers to have one as a test mule for mods. I plan to convert one to a bottle and make a larger plenum for it. All these parts will come from my shop and hopefully suit me better than what's available on the market right now. As for power I'm sure it will be easy to make a lot more.

Yeah I think the hammer spring adjustment sucks. To only get a few fps difference between four turns to none is bad that’s the problem I have with mine. Witch is why have higher hammer spring tension
Probably due to extremely high reg setting ? I know my 25 with zero turns where I have it set shoots hades at 835. One turn produces 855 which I must say anyone with a 25 cal and you have hades slow them to 850….holy wow they become so much more accurate than up in the 880’s it isn’t even funny. I was going to just shelve the hades then I saw the aeac vid that suggested slowing them. What a difference. Anyway that was a tangent. Mine basically tunes the hades about 50 fps with the HS alone with a 21-2200 reg setting.

It’s good to hear various experiences with the Avenger and most agree it can’t be beat for the price. Robert brings up a good point about the hammer spring as it seems they are not all the same. Mine is one of the ones with only 3 1/2 turns available on the hammer spring while most have 6 turns. The hammer spring itself, at least on mine, could be improved and I’m wondering if anyone has experimented with aftermarket springs or even a dual spring?