Avenger, great potential and possibly underrated pcp rifle.

After two years and tons of mods this 25cal Avenger has become my favorite pcp rifle to shoot at 75yds and under from the bench. It has been up against some stiff competition. If price is the consideration I must say that at the time I bought it it was under $300 and the rifles I compare it to are up to 21/2 times more expensive. At this range they are not as consistently accurate as the Avenger.

Knowing that I had a neat rifle I thought that it should also look the part so I shaved and sanded the stock and filled the butt with polymer foam that hardens for a firm but still lightweight and balanced feel. Trying to keep the American blued metal look to the trigger guard I sanded and polished and clear coated it prior to masking and spray painting the stock.

The bore is lapped and polished and I use the professional tune on the regulator as described in YouTube videos. The piccatiny rail is an aftermarket metal replacement and the scope is a Mueller 8X32X44mm target dot that I leave set at 20X.

The plastic shroud retainer has been replaced with an aftermarket aluminum one and I included four other bbl/shroud centering rings as well as the one from the factory and the muzzle is tipped with a fitted air stripper. Other mods were to help sound deadening beginning with a single 1/8” hole drilled in the shroud at the breech end to release pressure and covered with 4 Mr. Clean cleaning pad wads fitted over the bbl within the shroud. At the muzzle end the shroud is filled past the air stripper with two baffles followed with an aftermarket moderator for the Avenger threaded directly to the shroud that joins it all together. It is very very neighbor friendly.

When I add up the costs of assembling this rifle it is close to the bare bones out of the box price of the rifles I am comparing it to.

I think it would be great to hear from others that are upgrading their Avenger pcp rifles and learn what works for you.

772EEBD9-E2FF-4924-A595-C6E1B3E06ED3.jpeg

D277E565-392F-4524-AC37-24B5F3181640.jpeg

My .22 cal avenger wood stock its also shooting like a laser gun, the only mods done so far are a o-ring delete and the aftermarket Carm magazines. I am using a Hawke vantage 3x9x50 scope, with hawke rings and a Cameron 3D moderador since I do all my target shooting from my backyard. I also bought a DonnyFL FX moderator with the adapter since I was told that with this combo I can make the gun even more quieter and more accurate. It is currently tuned to shot between 880 to 890 fps with the crosman premier ultra magnum 14.13 and the JSB and hades 15.89 grains pellets. Tomorrow I am planning to test the more heavier FX/JSB 18 grains to see how they compare to this others lighter pellet’s.

CF66CD23-30DE-4453-AD82-3BF4DE72A86B.jpeg

D4046C4A-EF72-4845-9FBE-0F09DA563107.jpeg

DF119A8F-4EC4-494B-9F82-B60C15AFD234.jpeg

E72C559F-3995-40AE-9672-C7534289B616.jpeg

D5F7E8E8-1F25-4770-9D38-747AA29F06B1.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: Crimson Mist
Ray,
Nice target and set up, I see you are using proven ammo. In 22cal and I have found that my rifles likes the JSB 15.89gr over all others. EXCPT for (who’d-a- thunk) Sig Air Dagger 16.6gr domed. I can’t say that I’m recommending these, but I bought some on closeout and found that they are well shaped and made from a very soft lead alloy. Also there is a very high percentage of pellet deformation in the tins but what I found after sorting is that they are equally as accurate as the JSB’s, almost better. Something to try if you haven’t already.

Looking at your cleaning patches all I can say is if that’s the worst you got then you have a very clean bore. Mine was nothing like that and filth came out patch after patch. To the point that I had to remove the bbl to properly clean it. Close inspection showed me a pretty sad bore so I lapped it with 4 different grades of 3m paper and finished with 2 grades of polishing compound for an improvement. However it will still foul if I don’t pay attention to it.

I don’t know anything about the clips you are using and would like to learn more about them. If you bought 3 of them you must think they are an improvement so I would be grateful for a heads up.

I also have the DonnyFL extender and have used it with several different moderators and it worked. But overall I have settled on the setup as pictured as this allows the use of 2 to 3 extra baffles between the muzzle/stripper and the tip of the shroud with a moderator that has 7 baffles, two that enter the shroud. While the DFL set up was quiet, I have found that this way is shorter and lighter and somewhat asthecialy more pleasing and actually quieter in my opinion, also less expensive.

As aforementioned the gen3 DAR is an interesting pcp rifle that should compete with the Avenger. The original problem seems to still exist with it, little to no factory support. The poster mentioned the lack of .177cal and that now may be true. But last November that was the only cal they had left for $279.99 so I hit ‘buy it now’ and ordered one, at least that’s what I thought. No one took my money and I received no rifle or feedback. Now they want $499.99 and no telling what will happen if you hit buy.

Thanks,
Tom

The foam I used was just a standard polymer spray can foam product that I ordered on Amazon. It worked as advertised. I also think that my rifle was a mid production version after many had complained about the hollow sound if you thumped on the butt stock as it had a square block of styrofoam stuffed in to it. I foam filled around it until it squirted from the seams. Frankly I don’t think it improved anything except for the sound if you continued to thump on it. I will say that after all of this effort the hardest part was replacing the buttplate assembly and it was a bugger..
If I had it to do again I would likely just leave it alone as it didn’t bother me in the first place and I only did it because others made note of it.

Tomy
Unfortunately this oem AVA mags in .22 cal are usually designed with a very poor quality control. This in turn causes them to be manufactured with very little tolerance, and as a consequence of this they cause some shots to come out very erratic, the undesirable so-called "flyers".

These prevent and make it impossible on many occasions to make good groups with these rifles. But I was told that this phenomenon just happens with the smaller .22 calibers NOT with the bigger .25 calibers guns like yours, so in your case you don’t need to invest in any aftermarket mags you’re good 👍.

This is the main reason why I currently use my avenger with this aftermarket magazines made in Europe called Carm magazines. With them I can shot a string of 80 and 90 rounds one after the other without a single flyer so they work as advertised 😉. The advantage this aftermarket mags have over the oem AVA is that since they are manufactured with much more tolerance and quality control process in a CNC machine they are much more precise. Therefore this prevent our guns from firing erratic shots. For this reason mine is now much more accurate and shot with greater precision than before.

Last week I bought a Kaliburgun Cricket 2 Tactical wtc 60 in .22 cal also with a Arken SH-4 Gen 2 4x16x50 scope with the Arken 34mm medium height rings last week, this is why I also bought a DonnyFL sumo moderator that its supposed to received today or tomorrow since I was told by Charlie Fear and the people from DonnyFL that for this particular gun with the sumo I can make tighter groups.

Then I will test my other DonnyFL FX moderator that its currently installed in my Kaliburgun with the adapter in my Avenger to see if perform better than the one I am currently using the 3D printed Cameron that I bought from Ebay that its working absolutely perfect with my avenger. Then I will compare both guns at 55 and 75 yards with the same JSB 18 grains pellets since both guns love them to see which one its the most accurate and precise and absolutely king at this range. Currently both guns are shooting like tack drivers so I bet this would be a very interesting comparison test.

I will post the results in the Kaliburgun Cricket Owners fb page and in the Air Venturi Avenger shooters association fb page also, usually I don’t post here in this forum very often. I am just waiting to the arrival of a Caldwell precision tripod that I also already bought for the Cricket, since this bench rest fit perfectly the tactical stock desing of the Kaliburgun to began with the test. I will use the avenger with my other Caldwell stinger bench rest that I already have since this gun long style stock desing fit perfect for this bench rest as well. Stay tune this coming days should be very interesting in my personal opinion this would be the best overall budget gun currently available in the market vs what I consider also one of the most accurate and precise high end gun currently in the market as well.

3282F95F-2520-4B11-A314-DF5ED9B14C1B.jpeg

5E650166-5F99-4AF4-81E1-8972ADE3B04B.jpeg

35F2A442-C4A1-48B8-98E5-09F9E4727764.jpeg

37597787-6DB0-4CC1-9ADE-56ECF2007EB1.jpeg

D2B5B04B-8DF0-4CBA-AB57-9D22CE1F43CD.jpeg

1761F4C5-87C2-4E48-971C-50FBE85A3FAF.jpeg

C917FE15-4F34-4BC1-A4E1-73462191D016.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: Reidy
Carm magazines are nice for a 3d printed part but I like the high capacity, cnc machined magazines from AE Swede much better. Made in the USA.
I just placed and order for two .22 cal 18 rounds each of this AE Swede high capacity cnc machined magazines for my avenger they look sweet. Now I already have 4 14 rounds each oem aluminum mags for my Kaliburgun for a total of 56 rounds, and 3 Carm mags of 10 rounds each plus 28 rounds of this others mags for a total of 58 for the avenger. I was not aware that this aftermarket mags were available, I use my two guns amost 5 days durring the week so having extra mags are always a plus. Also ordered 4 tins of 500 each of the JSB 18 grains since this are the pellets that my cricket like the most. Thanks for the info 👍😊

F50E0A36-7BA3-4C23-AC49-5794055BAD78.jpeg

Reactions: Crimson Mist
Tomy
Unfortunately this oem AVA mags in .22 cal are usually designed with a very poor quality control. This in turn causes them to be manufactured with very little tolerance, and as a consequence of this they cause some shots to come out very erratic, the undesirable so-called "flyers".

These prevent and make it impossible on many occasions to make good groups with these rifles. But I was told that this phenomenon just happens with the smaller .22 calibers NOT with the bigger .25 calibers guns like yours, so in your case you don’t need to invest in any aftermarket mags you’re good 👍.

This is the main reason why I currently use my avenger with this aftermarket magazines made in Europe called Carm magazines. With them I can shot a string of 80 and 90 rounds one after the other without a single flyer so they work as advertised 😉. The advantage this aftermarket mags have over the oem AVA is that since they are manufactured with much more tolerance and quality control process in a CNC machine they are much more precise. Therefore this prevent our guns from firing erratic shots. For this reason mine is now much more accurate and shot with greater precision than before.

Last week I bought a Kaliburgun Cricket 2 Tactical wtc 60 in .22 cal also with a Arken SH-4 Gen 2 4x16x50 scope with the Arken 34mm medium height rings last week, this is why I also bought a DonnyFL sumo moderator that its supposed to received today or tomorrow since I was told by Charlie Fear and the people from DonnyFL that for this particular gun with the sumo I can make tighter groups.

Then I will test my other DonnyFL FX moderator that its currently installed in my Kaliburgun with the adapter in my Avenger to see if perform better than the one I am currently using the 3D printed Cameron that I bought from Ebay that its working absolutely perfect with my avenger. Then I will compare both guns at 55 and 75 yards with the same JSB 18 grains pellets since both guns love them to see which one its the most accurate and precise and absolutely king at this range. Currently both guns are shooting like tack drivers so I bet this would be a very interesting comparison test.

I will post the results in the Kaliburgun Cricket Owners fb page and in the Air Venturi Avenger shooters association fb page also, usually I don’t post here in this forum very often. I am just waiting to the arrival of a Caldwell precision tripod that I also already bought for the Cricket, since this bench rest fit perfectly the tactical stock desing of the Kaliburgun to began with the test. I will use the avenger with my other Caldwell stinger bench rest that I already have since this gun long style stock desing fit perfect for this bench rest as well. Stay tune this coming days should be very interesting in my personal opinion this would be the best overall budget gun currently available in the market vs what I consider also one of the most accurate and precise high end gun currently in the market as well.

View attachment 283440

View attachment 283441

View attachment 283442

View attachment 283443

View attachment 283444

View attachment 283445

View attachment 283446
South Florida?

What did you guys use for the oring delete on the avenger probe. I am thinking about doing that. I have avenger .22 not much done donnyfl adapter to center the barrel and moderator. Moved the barrel center piece on the other side of the barrel band seemed to improve poi. Shoots crossman 14.3 930 6shot group 1/4 at 30 can cover it with pinky nail.

Last edited:
Ray,
That Cricket is a real sweet set up, wish it was mine! I think your plan to test it side by side with your Avenger is a great idea that might help others. Not only te see what the ‘good stuff’ can do, but to help decide how much it costs for the degree of accuracy and quality we all seek.

Looking forward to you posting your results.

Tom

Reactions: Ray_PR
2 things have held me off of buying an Avenger, and they may seem trivial to many.

1. I REALLY liked having the knob on the Freedom/Liberty to switch quickly from ~12fpe to ~20fpe.

ALL later versions based on the Freedom/Liberty i.e, the Avenger/Etc did away with this option.

2. The pressure tube and the barrel are the same length so I can't easily mount a DIY moderator.
The Freedom/Liberty/Avenger are TOO loud and I refuse to be extorted to pay the price of an adapter and moderator when I could make my own slip-on for less than $20 (actually less than $5 each for at least 4 airguns) , except for the fact that the barrel/shroud and pressure tube are the same length.

Those 2 things kept/keep me from buying a LOUD Avenger. And it IS loud, just like the Freedoms I owned were LOUD until I mounted DIY slip-on moderators.

JMHO-YMMV

Last edited:
I have to agree, my 25cal Avenger was very very loud. But if that is what keeps you from buying one and you like to tinker there are many inexpensive improvements you can make yourself. Keeping it short, I removed my Donnyfl extender and added suppressor in favor of the set up in my photos. With the mods I mentioned it now is as silent as my smaller cal pcp rifles and the weight remains low and balanced and the length is kept to a minimum.

The power adjust Venturi selector would be nice to have if you shoot in the basement and next day in the field. My Cayden and Akela rifles both have that feature but I found that I leave it where it works best and never change it.