• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Avenger barrel pull, and re-crown

Nice job there, Tim! Thank you for sharing your process and results. Hopefully it will inspire someone else to dive in and fix or improve a gun that isn’t quite working up to its potential.

BTW the patch with flakes reminded me that the barrel on my Avenger (.22 cal) had one of the roughest bores of any gun I’ve ever seen. If you find that the accuracy of yours tends to fall off quickly, consider doing the J-B treatment or fire lap. I was having to clean it every hundred or so pellets initially but now it has at least 500 through it and it’s still grouping very well.

Reactions: EmptyTin_Tim
You're welcome! Had to play with the camera to get the close up shots to work. It's not that complicated of a process but it's more delicate than I initially thought. Maybe it is just the barrel material and how shallow the rifling is that made it take more time/effort. It was worth it though!!

You know funny thing is before I did the crown, I actually did the JB bore compound then JB bore polish (3 cotton bore swabs with compound then 3 later with polish after cleaning out, did probably 100 passes total each with stopping a 1/3 the way then 2/3 then just before the crown, each time going further towards the muzzle after swapping with a clean swab) So I think I didn't clean out my barrel as well as I thought after the last polish! This time I used Ballistol and like.. 25 patches haha That one I showed here was the 1st pull through after shooting maybe 200 pellets. Then I did all this work plus the CF shroud and other stuff and cleaned it out with the 25+ patches till it came out white.

Now it is polished, I should not have as many lead flakes and should be good to have longer cleaning intervals like yours! 500 sounds good, whole tin is easy to keep track of. I'm surprised it's so rough because everyone says the Avenger is more accurate than it ought to be for the price. I guess the lead fills in all the roughness and it gets smooth eventually. Now it should just be smooth to start!