Avenger barrel band

If I had one of these rifles, I would remove band and shroud, and test it shooting with the bare barrel. That might show why most serious bench rest shooters don't attach anything to the barrel.

It might. And it might not.

Yes, it might not, I have no idea with this particular rifle. But with others, assuming the barrel is attached in a robust manner at the breech, they shot better without all the appendages that have become almost standard. I'm not being critical, I couldn't shoot in my yard without suppressors, and I really like that feature. But if I were a BR competitor, I'm pretty sure I would not use a shroud or silencer.

Agreed. But the topic was about an Avenger barrel band, not a competitive bench rifle. But it is possible that even that gun MIGHT shoot better with a "free floated" barrel. Seems that a bench rifle might experience the lowest level of "hard use" of any common type of/use of a rifle, and would probably be the least likely "type" of gun to possibly benefit from barrel support (based on type of use and construction). SOME common air rifles that might see harder use than bench shooting might benefit from a barrel band. Others may not.

Reactions: BordertownDevil
Agreed. But the topic was about an Avenger barrel band, not a competitive bench rifle. But it is possible that even that gun MIGHT shoot better with a "free floated" barrel. Seems that a bench rifle might experience the lowest level of "hard use" of any common type of/use of a rifle, and would probably be the least likely "type" of gun to possibly benefit from barrel support (based on type of use and construction). SOME common air rifles that might see harder use than bench shooting might benefit from a barrel band. Others may not.

100% agree. 

So I have a Black Arts Design barrel band for my Avenger (.177 and .25). Has anybody had experience with this and can report as to whether it improved groupings or made no change or whatever?
Here's an update it did nothing to improve my groups but I can see visually that the barrel and the air cylinder or now almost perfectly parallel to each other. Part of the Black Arts Design procedure is to remove the OEM barrel band which I did. I'd like to add that the first barrel band I got from Black Arts Design was apparently made two small in diameter and there was no way I could squeeze it over the barrel. Then he sent me another one which he said was perfectly sized, then it too was extremely tight and I can only get it down as far as about an inch from the aft portion of the filler cap.