• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Avenger .22 first reactions

Went to the range today, wound up being a quickie (Saturday after Christmas = sh.. show at the range).

Zeroed at 50 yards with the Air Arms 16 gr (.22). Then I went to 100 yards to see how many mils I have to hold over. I was expecting 6-7 mils, turned out to be 3. This is at 16x on a cheap Discovery scope. I was amazed. I'm pretty sure I chronied these pellets at 885 fps, but now I'll need to confirm. This was with the reg at about 1900 and 1.5 turns in on the hammer spring.

Just chronied and apparently I'm shooting at 935. Which would explain why I'm shooting flatter than I thought.

I realized that I was halfway through tuning when I ran out of air a couple of weeks ago, which is why I was off with the velocity. I reset the regulator down to 1400 PSI which gives me 885 fps with the 16gr Air Arms. Don't know where the hammer spring wound up, probably 3 turns out from full bind.

On my gun, the hammer spring adjustment doesn't seem to do anything until you get about 2.5-3 turns in from all the way back. Anyone else notice this?

My lazy tuning method is to figure out my target velocity (885), add 3% (912), max out the hammer spring and sneak up on the regulator until I get 912ish. Then I back off the hammer spring until I get to 885. I didn't run a full chrono string after this tune because it's getting a little late to be running the compressor. I'll run a full string tomorrow and try to get out to the range to see how it does at 100 yards.

I'm eager to see how the econo-rig (Avenger with a $77 Discovery scope) does at the Bench Rifle Silhouette next week (1/10 silhouettes set at 40, 60, 77 and 100 yards).

My Marauder ..25 at 867 FPS hits target at 100 yards using 4.8 mil...need to test my Avenger using 15.9 gr at 937 fps...calculates at 4.00..

It was crazy windy today, which may have accounted for 1 mil of elevation difference. Hard to know for sure, I've been busy every day that there is no wind. According to Chairgun I was expecting 6 mil at 100 yards.

Well, it "only" took 17 days for USPS to take care of my order with NSA... no comments...

I tried the 17.5gr slugs using the same tuning than the JSP Jumbo Heavy (18.13gr). Results were not so good. They shot at exactly the same muzzle velocity, lighter but more surface bearing and I could barely hold 1.5in at 40 yards.
All in all, I re-tuned my Avenger back to the lighter pellets as it really shines shooting JSB Jumbo (15.89gr). JSB Hades are -just- a tad less accurate but their inferior BC really shows when there's a breeze.
My next project with this rifle is to check JSB Jumbo Monsters (25.39gr), FX Hybrids (22.0gr) and NSA 20.2gr slugs. We'll see