• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Avenger .22 first reactions

I ordered an Avenger 22 from PA that was scheduled to come in tomorrow. There was a bench rest shoot scheduled today at noon, but at 10:45 it was pouring down rain and pretty cold, so I told myself to stay in and be cozy. Then at 11, my wife walked in to my office with a box shape that I'm familiar with. The new Avenger had arrived!

I popped it out of the box and my first thought was "Wow, this IS light". I knew that it was a light gun, but I was still surprised at how light.

My air tank is off being hydro tested, so I figured I could throw a scope on it and get to the club. Maybe someone showed up for the bench rest shoot with an air tank. So I grabbed an Aeon 10-40x50 that I had laying around. The medium picatinny rings were to low for the scope to clear, so I had to add a riser. So now I have a very heavy scope sitting way up high on a very light gun. Not ideal, but let's power through. Ran 10 patches through the barrel and got most of the gunk out.

Also in my box from PA were some pellets. I went with the Air Arms Fields at 16 grains, the Air Arms Heavies at 18 grains and the H&N FTTs at 14.6 grains.

Grabbed my hand pump (just in case) and headed to the club. Club was deserted, as it should be because other people are smarter than me.

Since I didn't have an air source and I knew I would be hand pumping, the first thing I decided to do was apply a hand pump tune. The gauge was showing about 1000 PSI in the gun, so no big loss to go ahead and bleed it out. Turned the reg all the way down, pumped to about 2,900, waited until my vision cleared, then turned the reg up to about 1,250 PSI (ish). Checked the striker and it was backed all the way out. I thought that was weird, I was under the impression that they come about 3 turns in from the factory. Oh well, went ahead and turned it in about 1 1/2 turns.

Moment of truth, time to start slinging some pellets. And sling them I did. Took about 20 shots to get on paper (scope was set crazy low from previous gun), then another 5 shots to get somewhat zeroed. This is all at 25 yards with a 5 mph quarter tail wind.

Then I shot a 5 shot group with the FTTs, little over 2 inches. Well, this is horrible. I decided the barrel needs a little more seasoning and I'm probably close to shooting off the reg, so more pumping.

Then I shot about 5 shots to zero the Air Arms Fields and shot a group. About .35", one ragged hole. This is more like it.

More pumping (yay), zeroed the Air Arms Heavies and shot a 5 shot group. About .49" with a flyer, fairly strung out but everything was touching.

Then shot another 5 shot group with the FTTs. A very tight one hole .25" group with a flyer.

I think there's enough air in the gun for 5 more shots, so I went to the 50 yard range. Shot the 16 gr Air Arms and shot a very tidy 3 shot group at .40", and then 2 more shots (on the right side) that I could tell were off the reg. Decided to take my frozen fingers and wet feet home.

So first impression, best $300 I've ever spent on an air gun. Until someone comes out with a better stock, I'll need to add some weight. Probably put some duct seal in the butt stock and put a bipod on the front. I have a 10 oz barrel weight that would fit on the air tube, but adding weight to the tube so close to the barrel band seems like a bad idea.

I've put a much smaller scope on it, so it's less top heavy. Here are some group photos. They aren't great because everything was soaking wet.

aaf.1607898612.jpg

Air Arms Field 16 gr 25yd

ftt.1607898647.jpg

H&N FTT 14.6 gr (flyer top right) 25yd

aah.1607898707.jpg

Air Arms Heavy 18 gr (Strung out, flyer top right) 25yd

av_50.1607898752.jpg

Air Arms 16gr at 50 yds (two shots on the right were off the regulator)

Waiting on mine too. Tuesday! I already have a slab of walnut to make a new stock for it. I make one every winter for a winter project. Really the main reason I bought the Avenger. Something to toy with. I hate plastic stocks. I have splice kit gel from work to fill the the plastic stock with for now. It’s a 2-part liquid that turns to a rubber-gel form. We use it to splice buried underground telephone cables. 

Got a red dot on my 25 and it is lethal out to 82yds.

60yds even better yet

50 and inside of is pretty amazing.

Ill finish a tin and get it tuned up for abit more horsepower and heavy ammo out to 47gr.

JSB 33's at 80yds are pass thru's on the tree rats set at factory.

Fun little rifle for sure,no regrets on purchase

Edit:

FX chrony 49FPE with the 33's

I had been waiting for some time to find a successor to my 10-year old Marauder .22. At the time it was quite a spectacular rifle, bringing honest performance compared to the European manufacturers products. It had been modded, re-modded (and de-modded) many times. I couldn't really justify to buy an FX or other $1,500-2,500 rifle for its usage and when the Avenger came out, that seemed to be the perfect replacement. Boy was I not disappointed with it. It lived to all the reviews and expectations.

Many reviewers comment that the synthetic stock isn't quite nice. I, on the other hand, am most happy with it. An enormous plus I found with this rifle is its light weight. Scoped, it's lighter than the bare Marauder (old one with wood stock). Huge plus for someone not young any more and hands arthritis.

The only "flaw" I could find with it is its noise level. The non-baffled shroud doesn't quite do it. I ordered an extended adapter and Tanto with DonnyFL (remarkable shopping experience there) to keep it as light and short as possible and it works great. Whatever performing moderator you put on a rifle, the shot always scares all animals surrounding the target, so there's no point, speaking for myself, at using a 10-inch long, 2-inch wide monstrosity to achieve the same result... On an interesting note, I discovered that the extended adapter shifted the POI 2 inch high and 1 inch right of target at 40 yards, but the Tanto itself did nothing to it.

When someone now asks me what PCP to get, the Avenger is where I direct them.

Yes, the extended adapter goes around the barrel in a very nicely fitted way (DonnyFL products finishes are exemplary) and surely makes for a nice concentricity of the barrel-adapter-moderator stack. So, either the barrel got slightly "straightened" or the air stripper on the adapter somehow affects the air turbulence around the pellet. Anyhow, this is a minor issue as once the rifle was re-zeroed, it held it superbly.

Yes, the extended adapter goes around the barrel in a very nicely fitted way (DonnyFL products finishes are exemplary) and surely makes for a nice concentricity of the barrel-adapter-moderator stack. So, either the barrel got slightly "straightened" or the air stripper on the adapter somehow affects the air turbulence around the pellet. Anyhow, this is a minor issue as once the rifle was re-zeroed, it held it superbly.

Thanks. .re-zeroing is ok by me...

I opened box....

first thing I find out PA did not perform the 10 for 10 I paid for. All stop right there as no air in rifle at all. I was on hold with PA on the phone for 35 minutes when a recorded voice comes on to tell me no one available to help so call back later, so i did and another recorded voice says they are closed for the day....45 min before their stated operating closing hours. 

Pumped it to 2000 psi for leak test...waiting....

Not really sure what I want to do now. Thinking of letting them have it back. Already cancelled a compressor because shipping is so erratic right now.

It is their move once they decide they want to put in 8 hours...

I do not know for sure but, 

I did not get any paper work;;factory box did not look like It had been opened.(Tape in place, etc )

So my position is produce my paperwork, please. Why would they empty the rifle.?

10-for-$10 Test! | $10.00

mqdefault.jpg

For just $10.00, you can buy peace of mind that your airsoft gun
or airgun won't be a lemon!
To make sure your gun shoots right out of the box, our techs will:

1. Remove your gun from its box and visually inspect it to verify there are no defects.
  2. Fire 10 shots.
  3. Confirm that the gun cocks reliably for all shots.
  4. Verify that the trigger functions reliably for all shots.
  5. Enclose chronograph tape of 10 fired shots.
  6. Make sure your gun doesn't leak (PCP, gas & CO2 airguns and airsoft guns).
  7. List the air pressure used to shoot your gun (PCPs only).
  8. Sign & date a certificate stating when the test was performed.
  9. List the name and serial number of the tested gun on the certificate.
    [/LIST=1]

NOTE: Selecting this service may delay shipment by one business day
    *It's normal for spring-powered airguns to have erratic velocities with the first 25-150 shots because factory lubricants burn off and cause a dieseling effect inside the compression chamber.

If you paid for checks, you should have the paperwork showing it. Period.

That being said, if the rifle was totally depressurized for some days... it's not a big deal. It's important for PCP to be slightly pressurized for extended storage periods but not for a short time. Otherwise, we could never work on them.

About checking for lead residue in the barrel, when I received my Avenger (no PA checks), I cleaned the barrel and was quite surprised: it was not dirty, it was very dirty! I had never seen a barrel that much fouled. Even the CZs 20 years ago which were probably cooked in cosmoline at the factory were not that bad...