Air Venturi Avenge-X PCP Tuning Guide, AEAC Pre-video Learning

Another question Might have missed. Did you do any Bore smoothing or anything else when you started the testing? I saw a trigger job. I could not recall anything else but time and effort., apart from knowledge?
No, I just cleaned the barrel. No trigger job either but I did remove the 3 safety washers from the sear engagement screw to get break weight down to 1.5 lbs ish. Steve

Thanks for these great preludes to your full write-up. I eagerly await more, more more. Quick question concerning the tune charts just published: How are you measuring the HS turns? In your 34 gr tune HS is shown as " HS +5 CW + 2 CW." Please help me to understand your meaning.
Good question, thanks.

This means from full stop counterclockwise, rotate the allen driver 5 full turns clockwise, then add 2 more of the tiniest movements possible, clockwise. The HS is that sensitive to input.

Steve

Reactions: davestr2
Great job Steve! As always looking forward to your Avenge X tuning guide. A lot of curves and ditches along your journey for sure on the Avenge X. Speaking of bottle. I have tried to find a way to ask T.Patner why is it we (USA) get the hideous bottle vs the one in S.Africa and other countries as shown in this video. A lot of us current Avenge X owners have asked this very question in different forums. The majority seem to prefer the one in the video (there are others in You Tube) including myself.

Great job Steve! As always looking forward to your Avenge X tuning guide. A lot of curves and ditches along your journey for sure on the Avenge X. Speaking of bottle. I have tried to find a way to ask T.Patner why is it we (USA) get the hideous bottle vs the one in S.Africa and other countries as shown in this video. A lot of us current Avenge X owners have asked this very question in different forums. The majority seem to prefer the one in the video (there are others in You Tube) including myself.

There are a few reasons that may not be apparent on the surface, I will explain and hopefully that will shed some light on why we have a different bottle here in the states.

1) What may not be clear to everyone is that the 400cc aluminum bottle used in many other parts of the world on the Avenge-X only fills to 250 BAR. Because of this, when you compare the 250 BAR fill bottle to the 300 BAR fill 210cc air tube, you only see a 5-10% shot count increase if you're comparing the same tune. Not a worthwhile increase in my opinion. Compare that with the 300 BAR bottle offered here in the US, and you get a much better ~40% higher shot count over the tube.

2) There are not very many 300 BAR bottle options in the diameter that it used on the Avenge-X (in fact, I am only aware of 2 others). Because of the modular design, and the fact that the drop block on the rifle accommodates both the tube and bottle without additional parts or modification, going to a larger diameter bottle was not in the cards.

3) They call it out in the video, but the rifle with the 250 BAR alu. bottle fills via a fill probe. You will notice a QD on the neck of the bottle, but the position of that QD is not easily controlled (meaning it doesn't always end up where you want it and can access it) and on some models of the rifle, it would be covered by the stock itself. I know fill probes annoy (that may be putting it mildly) most of us, and that was a concession we were not willing to make with the Avenge-X for the US market.

FWIW, based on feedback from a number of places (AGN included) we have a cap/cover in the works for the bottle that will alter the appearance to make it look more traditional.

Hopefully that adds some clarity on the bottle. Ultimately, we wanted parity (both in features and functionality) between the tube and bottle versions in a way that no one else had done before, and I think we have achieved that.

There are a few reasons that may not be apparent on the surface, I will explain and hopefully that will shed some light on why we have a different bottle here in the states.

1) What may not be clear to everyone is that the 400cc aluminum bottle used in many other parts of the world on the Avenge-X only fills to 250 BAR. Because of this, when you compare the 250 BAR fill bottle to the 300 BAR fill 210cc air tube, you only see a 5-10% shot count increase if you're comparing the same tune. Not a worthwhile increase in my opinion. Compare that with the 300 BAR bottle offered here in the US, and you get a much better ~40% higher shot count over the tube.

2) There are not very many 300 BAR bottle options in the diameter that it used on the Avenge-X (in fact, I am only aware of 2 others). Because of the modular design, and the fact that the drop block on the rifle accommodates both the tube and bottle without additional parts or modification, going to a larger diameter bottle was not in the cards.

3) They call it out in the video, but the rifle with the 250 BAR alu. bottle fills via a fill probe. You will notice a QD on the neck of the bottle, but the position of that QD is not easily controlled (meaning it doesn't always end up where you want it and can access it) and on some models of the rifle, it would be covered by the stock itself. I know fill probes annoy (that may be putting it mildly) most of us, and that was a concession we were not willing to make with the Avenge-X for the US market.

FWIW, based on feedback from a number of places (AGN included) we have a cap/cover in the works for the bottle that will alter the appearance to make it look more traditional.

Hopefully that adds some clarity on the bottle. Ultimately, we wanted parity (both in features and functionality) between the tube and bottle versions in a way that no one else had done before, and I think we have achieved that.
The 210cc tube at 300 bar takes 0.21 L x 300 bar = 63 liter of atmospheric air.
The 500cc bottle at 250 bar takes 0.50 L x 250 bar = 125 liter of atmospheric air.
That is double the amount of air and will about double the shot count.
Compare to the 400cc 300 bar bottle which takes 0.40 L x 300 bar = 120L of atmospheric air, the 500cc 250 bar bottle should give little bit bigger shot count than the 400cc 300 bar bottle.

The 210cc tube at 300 bar takes 0.21 L x 300 bar = 63 liter of atmospheric air.
The 500cc bottle at 250 bar takes 0.50 L x 250 bar = 125 liter of atmospheric air.
That is double the amount of air and will about double the shot count.
Compare to the 400cc 300 bar bottle which takes 0.40 L x 300 bar = 120L of atmospheric air, the 500cc 250 bar bottle should give little bit bigger shot count than the 400cc 300 bar bottle.

Except that bottle is only 360cc and not 500cc (I forgot it was only 360cc and not 400cc as I mentioned in my previous post). Not sure why they have it listed as 500cc, but it most certainly is not that large.

Except that bottle is only 360cc and not 500cc (I forgot it was only 360cc and not 400cc as I mentioned in my previous post). Not sure why they have it listed as 500cc, but it most certainly is not that large.
The bottle available in South Africa is 500cc. Kyle mentioned it in die video and it is also confirmed by a local dealer. (That is unless everybody got it wrong. I don't have the rifle to confirm.)

If the bottle in USA is 360cc, the it is 0.36 L x 300 bar = 108 liter of atmospheric air. The is definitely less shots than the 500cc 250 bar bottle.

Last edited:
1701269743131.png

Reactions: Dogowsky
I understand that it says 500cc. The only way that is possible is if they are replacing the bottle in SA (unlikely), because the 250 BAR aluminum bottle that ships from China is 360cc (I have confirmed this with the factory and also myself as we have a few). Based on the appearance of the gun, it's the 360cc bottle.

I will contact the importer tomorrow so he can measure and post the results here. If the importer got it wrong the everybody will follow and give wrong specs.

How it may be, from the beginning I decided that when I do buy it, it will be the tube version as it just look better for me. And I use a hand pump instead of my 300 bar 7L air cylinder. I need the exercise and this force me to do it. A bottle will be just to much.

Thank you for pointing out defective regulators.
Well technically I broke it by pushing it just past 210 ish bar for several hundred shots, lol. 210 is Max according to the manual. My replacement is holding on nicely though. Been smashing it at 210 bar for about 500 shots and all good so far, hehe 😁.

Steve

Reactions: Dogowsky
Wow!
That is an amazing journey and a fsntastic amount of info
Just wondering, did I miss the bus and the video is posted and I can’t find it? Or is the video for coming?
Still learning & filming and updating here as I go. Working on slugs now. Here's some 5 shot groups at 120 yards from today, and what worked with the barrel & max power tune.

Steve

20231129_144656.jpg
20231129_142226.jpg
20231129_134159.jpg
20231129_135923.jpg
20231129_132527.jpg
Screenshot_20231129_170634_Samsung Notes.jpg

20231129_150403.jpg

20231129_143225.jpg

Overall, the rifle looks like a good value. But, for me anyway, I don't like any of the available stock options. The synthetic version (shown in this review), is especially hideous! The wood stock needs a more vertical pistol grip and a slimmer forearm. The tactical version reminds me of a pregnant guppy. Sorry for the negativity, just my own opinion.
For many the wider forearm works on backrest. Can only speak for myself, but in addition to using it for BASS plinking I’ll use it for hunting with a military rap wrap cinching that down seems to work just fine on other firearms I have. I guess it’s too early in the game early make it determination until I’ve had a seizure or so with it.