Air Venturi Avenge-X PCP Tuning Guide, AEAC Pre-video Learning

First impressions after a week with it are that I'm kinda surprised how much more I like it than my Avenger. It's so much more refined, solidly built, and nicer to handle & tune. In person, it looks & feels waaaay more expensive than an Avenger. It actually feels & behaves expensive as opposed to cheap if that makes sense? And the shot cycle, OMG have they refined that. Tunes out really nice & clean. Barrel band, bedding, receiver, tube, shroud, stock, cocking, tuning gear, all of it....waaay more solid than the Avenger, and is solid. Can not say that enough. Feels like a $1,000 gun to me all day long. The mags still feel like Benjamin Maximus cheapies though. The new tall one is cool. But I can't fit it under the scope. Cocking is solid but a bit dry feeling. Trigger feels dry too but is good.

Haven't messed with the caliber or bottle change yet but it looks super easy to do.

The new Donny is honestly amazing. It's a big step up in quality & feel over his previous stuff that we're all used to... and that stuff was really nice. On the X, the Yokozuna is shockingly quiet, truly. Like puff and thats it. Even my wife was like, oh wow, that gun is crazy quiet. And that was at 45 fpe, lol. I'll go on record and say its the quietest moderator I've ever sampled. I haven't been wearing hearing protection to tune and normally I do. The new twist lock feels ultra high quality and is rock solid.

Still just scratching the surface with all this stuff. Lots more to feel out and learn.

MAJOR UPDATE on PAGE #3

Steve
Question for you been doing a bunch of research on this pcp . Which moderator is the quietest in .25?

Donny FL Sumo is the most popular for reason. It's super quiet on my 25 cal Avenge X tac. I am however curious about the new ones tested here. Honestly with the Sumo I don't think it's any much difference against the ones shown here. Other than that, the new ones are just new, aesthetics a little more modern (I like eye candy too) but performance, not significant compared to the older Sumo. When it comes to some of the air rifle aftermarket accessories, I kind of compare it to "supping up" (60's - 70's term) old school hot rods. Many of which were all looks but no a$$. It easy to overpay for an accessory that is not a value as it appears.

Reactions: Ray_PR
Donny FL Sumo is the most popular for reason. It's super quiet on my 25 cal Avenge X tac. I am however curious about the new ones tested here. Honestly with the Sumo I don't think it's any much difference against the ones shown here. Other than that, the new ones are just new, aesthetics a little more modern (I like eye candy too) but performance, not significant compared to the older Sumo. When it comes to some of the air rifle aftermarket accessories, I kind of compare it to "supping up" (60's - 70's term) old school hot rods. Many of which were all looks but no a$$. It easy to overpay for an accessory that is not a value as it appears.
I am not sure if you could already have read this thread. Apparently according to others airgunners this standard Huggett snipe moderator is more efficient than the vast majority of others. I just bought one to try it on my new Avenge-X classic in .25 cal too. As soon as I receive my new rifle and this moderator I will put it to the test vs my DonnyFL Sumo and FX moderators that I am already using in my others airguns.

Which moderator is the quietest between this four? The new DonnyFL Ryu, the impulse air, the famous DonnyFL Sumo or the 0 db? Thanks
https://www.airgunnation.com/thread...s-the-best-moderator-for-this-airgun.1301128/

In this other thread there is more information about this Huggett snipe moderator. I personally doubt that some of these new moderators can be much more efficient than those that have been available on the market for a while. In my opinion this is only pure marketing and paid advertising than anything else 😉.

Last edited:
Reactions: jamxpr1
When are the best posts on any subject on any gun I've ever seen! Thank you very much. I've got a velocity fluctuation problem and I'm trying to solve that. I'll play with the hammer spring first. Maybe I better get one of those very special chronographs that you have. Right now I'm using the FX pocket chronograph
The chrony you have is just fine. Velocity fluctuations simply come from the hammer spring setting being out of harmony with your current reg setting. In the Avenge X, the tiniest movements of the HS make all the difference between 20 ES and 10 ES... it's THAT sensitive. Also, be sure to stay on the left side of the tuning rainbow. That's just as important. Good luck.

Steve

I am really curious about how well they managed the poi shifts that the avenger has. My biggest gripe about the avenger is that if I put it in my gun bag and hike out to the squirrel woods I'm gonna have to double check my zero before taking a shot. Same if I happen to bump the barrel shroud or LDC against a tree.
There is a lot of flip at 45-65 fpe and this is a light rifle. It will need your best hold & approach to avoid POI changes. Steve

Reactions: Jlowe
UPDATE - 34gr (50, 75, and 120 yards).

It's been more than 3 weeks since my last entry here, and with good reason. The 34gr outta the Avenge X was a JOURNEY! Failure, success, a broke reg, surprisingly good results... I worked through it all with the 34. What I learned is outlined below.

Having gone about things the hard way with the 25gr, I did things in the right order with the 34. I first went out in search of a velocity that the gun would stabilize them at... in the heavy wind... at great distance.

I started at 880 fps. While the 8-shot 50 yard mag-dump below looked pretty okay, in reality it wasn't. Through the scope, I could see the pellets curve balling their way there... and winds were only 3-5 mph.

8 shots at 50 yards, 880 fps, 34gr, 3-5 winds, unstable in flight.
20231110_103506.jpg

Here's the 880 tune with the 34's... take note of the 199 bar reg (210 is Max) and we'll come back to this later.
image025.png

FX's True Ballistic Chronograph displays the information from muzzle to target.
20231110_110031.jpg

Recalling that this barrel stabilized the 25.4s wonderfully at 900-905, I threw together a quick field tune to push more speed and played around at 50 some more. At 905 ish, hook went away with the 34s too and accuracy got better. I had pretty bad winds throughout this card. They started off at 3-5 and worked their way up to 10-15 mph towards the bottom of the card. Even still, the non-mk2 34s shot well at 905.
20231110_122451.jpg

Avenge X revealing its wants at 50 yards.
20231110_122634.jpg

Just to be sure about that 905, I moved out to 75 yards and focused up. I wanted to see if I could do better. I often like to use a black steel oil drum for this because it helps me see exactly what the pellet is doing in flight.
20231110_120918.jpg

Really happy with 905 fps and the 34s out of the Avenge X. AT 75 yards, they all flew straight, and I dropped 9/10 into this little hole.
20231110_120932.jpg

Me happy 🙂.
20231110_122308.jpg

I went home and began to build out a tune around 905 with the 33.95gr JSBs. But I struggled. The reg wasn't wanting to hold 210 bar as I needed it to. Take note of the small "mound" between shot 19 and 27. This was my first warning that I was pushing the limits of the regulator.
image029.png

Here was my second warning that the reg was at its limits. Notice how shot 1-10 the reg held pressure steady for me? Then, began to ride higher after that? I had no other symptoms like creep or anything like that, but I did notice reset time begin to vary. All symptoms that I cooked the reg, lol. This gun has good enough guts to run 8/2 ES & SD when all is well with your tune and pellets.
image031.png

So, it was back to the drawing board with the 34's. Luckily for me that evening, a follower read my Instagram post about all of the above and recommended trying 850 fps with the 34s. He said he and his buddy were shooting MOA at 100 yards with their Avenge X's and the 34s at 850 fps. I was reluctant due to drop and wind but I took his advice and tried it. His name is Ryan Spanagel.

Tyler P. sent me a few more regs to try to break and I got back to work, lol. They swap out in like 2 minutes. Ultra easy!
20231126_175938.jpg

With a fresh reg installed, a clean "850 tune" for the 34s came easy.
20231113_152234.jpg

33.95gr "850 tune" on a fresh reg.
image035.png

And oh my, did it perform! It ran so well that I found myself waiting on a cloudy/windy day so that I could scope-cam some video for y'all all the way out to 120 yards, lol. The below is 16 shots at 50 yards with both the mk2 and non mk2... in a 5-10 wind.
20231117_131543.jpg

The 850 data to 50 yds.
20231119_102747.jpg

Me in the zone with the cameras rollin'... and testing the 850 tune out with moderators too.
20231119_124644.jpg

50 yards results in a nutshell, once I turned the cameras on for the upcoming tuning guide video... in nasty 10-15 mph winds too. Encouraging.
20231119_131143.jpg

Great tune/setup for 50 yards with the 34gr at 850 fps... and as it later turned out, 120 yards too.
20231119_130400.jpg

Dang-nabit! .. ran outta permittable posted pics again Michael :LOL:, lol.

... to be continued in a new post right below folks (120 yard results).

Steve

Last edited:
34gr UPDATE continued from above.

A nice cloudy/rainy/windy day to take out both guns (25.4gr gun and 34gr gun) and capture some 120 yard scope cam for the upcoming AEAC tuning guide video. 25.39gr gun shown.
20231122_115833.jpg

Plenty of raindrops & wind... perfect for 120 yard video. 34gr gun hiding out under a wind-blown shot chart.
20231122_115907.jpg

Black oil drum set up at 120 yards... 34gr gun up first.
20231122_102339.jpg

5 shots at 120 yards with the 34gr running at 850 fps in a heavy cross wind.
20231122_125034.jpg

Some cool data about the journey there.
20231122_111403.jpg

Trying the same exercise with the 25.39gr in a 16 mph wind gust and moving at 900 fps.
20231122_120541.jpg

The 25gr here-to-there data.
20231122_114601.jpg

34s at 850 did remarkably better but, I was able to do the same with the 25.4s in winds of like 2-3. That was a surprise to me. These barrels are good.
20231122_124948.jpg

Reconfigured for the next chapter, "Slugs." 400cc bottle replaces 210cc cylinder. Learning begins tomorrow.
20231126_092319.jpg

This takes like 5 minutes max by the way :).
20231126_090207.jpg

Tomorrow's fun. Find slug and right speed in the field, then go home and build out a tune around it. Then come back with the cameras.
20231126_091907.jpg

Steve