• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Air Venturi Avenge-X PCP Tuning Guide, AEAC Pre-video Learning

How are people getting these things? Ordered mine the day orders opened (June 7) and they just keep pushing back the availability date. It's late December now. Ridiculous
There are a ton of stores that are selling these so just buy one from someone who has it in stock.. Everyone from the pellet shop to Utah air guns should have them.

Reactions: Beanflip
I should clarify - nobody has the tactical version in stock.
I'd like the tactical version but I wish they had a normal looking bottle with the round end.. like the hatsan blitz..
so can anyone tell me, been asking different areas for over a month..
so let's just say I got a avenger X 22 caliber and set the regulator the same as the gauntlet 30.. I think 2100 psi.. am I correct that if I use 40 grain slugs in it vs the standard 48 grain pellets.. which gun would have the best ballistic and trajectory? I'd assume the 22?
and if you could get identical weight ammo wouldn't they have the same muzzle energy? only difference is a bigger hole on the 30?
I really hope someone can clarify this for me because I don't know a thing about ballistic..
only thing I know is that my golden boys 17&22 .. the 17 is flat 300 yards but if there's a breeze I better take the 22 because who knows where the 17 will be in a breeze..
thanks for any advice
Mark

Reactions: Ray_PR and darylm
I love the modularity of this platform. I am surprised that they only squeezed out only 40 some ftlbs of energy from the 22. Although I wonder what can be achieved with some heavier slugs, but the fact that you can swap out to a 25cal is pretty impressive. I’m really considering getting one myself. I just hope that buck rail comes out with an another redesign on the tactical stock.

I'd like the tactical version but I wish they had a normal looking bottle with the round end.. like the hatsan blitz..
so can anyone tell me, been asking different areas for over a month..
so let's just say I got a avenger X 22 caliber and set the regulator the same as the gauntlet 30.. I think 2100 psi.. am I correct that if I use 40 grain slugs in it vs the standard 48 grain pellets.. which gun would have the best ballistic and trajectory? I'd assume the 22?
and if you could get identical weight ammo wouldn't they have the same muzzle energy? only difference is a bigger hole on the 30?
I really hope someone can clarify this for me because I don't know a thing about ballistic..
only thing I know is that my golden boys 17&22 .. the 17 is flat 300 yards but if there's a breeze I better take the 22 because who knows where the 17 will be in a breeze..
thanks for any advice
Mark
I too am curious about this. Can’t wait to see others exploring the endless possibilities of this gun

If this new "X" is anywhere close to as good an air rifle as my Avenger it'll be a real winner! I love mine and have an X ordered!
Really a great platform especially for under $400.
avenger.jpg

Last edited:
First impressions after a week with it are that I'm kinda surprised how much more I like it than my Avenger. It's so much more refined, solidly built, and nicer to handle & tune. In person, it looks & feels waaaay more expensive than an Avenger. It actually feels & behaves expensive as opposed to cheap if that makes sense? And the shot cycle, OMG have they refined that. Tunes out really nice & clean. Barrel band, bedding, receiver, tube, shroud, stock, cocking, tuning gear, all of it....waaay more solid than the Avenger, and is solid. Can not say that enough. Feels like a $1,000 gun to me all day long. The mags still feel like Benjamin Maximus cheapies though. The new tall one is cool. But I can't fit it under the scope. Cocking is solid but a bit dry feeling. Trigger feels dry too but is good.

Haven't messed with the caliber or bottle change yet but it looks super easy to do.

The new Donny is honestly amazing. It's a big step up in quality & feel over his previous stuff that we're all used to... and that stuff was really nice. On the X, the Yokozuna is shockingly quiet, truly. Like puff and thats it. Even my wife was like, oh wow, that gun is crazy quiet. And that was at 45 fpe, lol. I'll go on record and say its the quietest moderator I've ever sampled. I haven't been wearing hearing protection to tune and normally I do. The new twist lock feels ultra high quality and is rock solid.

Still just scratching the surface with all this stuff. Lots more to feel out and learn.

Steve

My 25 cal Avenge X Tact was my first PCP coming from a GAMO 22 Mag Gen 3. This is a new hobby for me so its all an education for me and enjoying it in retirement! Anyway, I have had it 3 weeks now and fired close to 800 rds. At 30 yds it's a tac driver. Extremely accurate. At 50 just as good. At 75 is when I begin to see varying grps. I do max fill. I have used JSB 25's , JTS 25's (tight fit)and FX 25' and have also fired JSB 33's All are accurate in this gun, JSB and FX are nearly identical in performance, the 33's are great as well. I will use those for critter/pest control. So if what I experienced out the box was amazing I can only imagine what it can do after your tuning tutorial!

Last edited:
Reactions: AEAC
Hey there! I let my brother in law shoot that wood Avenge X and he was almost sold! That gun is a great ambassador to the sport of PCP. You can hand it to anyone and they will be blown away by the accuacy. He was shooting the heads and arms off trophys at 40 yards. Also hitting paintballs effortlessly at that range. We had alot of fun.

Thanks for your in depth review Steve!

How is the weight? Is is reasonable for field carry (as in, maybe not worse than a Marauder for instance?) And what is your opinion of the synthetic stock, does it feel subsantial and comfortable or flimsy? It would be great to get some insight on the wood stock too, but you can't review what you don't have!

Also, I guess you're filling this from a small compressor? I still use a large carbon bottle, I can imagine making a spreadsheet that shows the shot count at different pressure levels as my bottle pressure drops over time. 250 bar....70 shots...240 bar...60 shots....etc.
Sure thing! I'll have ya'll an update post later on this morning.

It is very light... feels 6 lbs ish. The stock is a major upgrade from that of the Avenger. It is rock solid, feels expensive, and is perfectly designed. There is a bit of rocking flex at the bipod mount though... and watch those bipod mount screws. Mine backed out after a few thousand shots, increasing flex there. The bipod mout system is good enough to get the performance out of it though. My wood stock should arrive sometime this week.

I'm filling from a 100CF tank. The rifle's efficiency is excellent when tuned. I'll share some more shot charts later this morning. In the field, I've been filling to 4,000 psi. For the start charts, I run it up to 300 bar.

Steve

All I can say is WOW! that shot string of 67 is impressive. So...I'm intrigued by the "HS in balance with reg pressure". I don't think I've ever heard of that, but I'm impressed by what it does. So how does a person go about figuring and putting HS and Reg in balance? And thanks sooo much for the reviews. I'm gonna have to look at these.

Watch and become a Master Jedi of airgun tuning :)

Steve

UPDATE + Process along the way.

My beautiful "885 Tune" for the JSB 25.39gr variants turned out to be a total dud out of Air Venturi's 1:24 barrel. It was corkscrew & wobble city all the way to 50 yards, and while the pellets were still landing in about a 1" group, they were kickin' & screamin' all the way there. It wasn't pretty and any breeze further aggravated things. The takeaway? Don't assume the right velocity and build a tune around that, go out and search for a stable speed in a strong wind at 50 yards plus, THEN build a tune around THAT velocity. So that's what I set out to do.

First Tune = total dud for pellet stability
image003.png

885 Tune at 50 yards in no wind - lots of wobble & corkscrew - no predictability for doping
20231019_103049.jpg

Velocities on the way to 50
20231019_104633.jpg

Me pretending to be happy with the result.
20231019_103540.jpg

After realizing the situation, I waited for the winds to come up, then began building out field tunes at incremental velocities. Once I zeroed in on the speed that flew pellets perfectly straight with no wobble or corkscrew, I verified first with 10-15 shot groups, then later with 20-shot groups. I did all of this work at 50 yards and in a 5-10 mph, left-to-right cross wind. It took the day.

Tight pattern clearly forming around the speeds of 905-910 fps.
20231019_115430.jpg

910 looking good
20231019_115524.jpg

me feeling better now... figuring things out
20231019_115731.jpg

FX's new True Ballistic Chronograph relaying the data
20231019_141012.jpg

On to 20 shot groups at 910 fps and higher
20231019_140904.jpg

20-shot groups at 50 yards in a strong cross wind, telling me I had arrived at the right velocity with 910
20231019_151031.jpg

After that, some casual moderator testing at 910 fps and 50 yds to see if it would throw the results... it didn't
20231019_150356.jpg

7 hrs later, exhausted now... time to go home and build out a tune around 910 fps with the 25.4s
20231019_151238.jpg

Back at home the next day, homing on a 910 tune... still unhappy with the SD in these pics
20231023_170723.jpg

my process
20231024_134051.jpg

The end result... now lets go test it at 50 yards in 9-16 mph winds :)
image013.png

My wind conditions yesterday
Screenshot_20231030_113543_WeatherBug.jpg

yesterday afternoon - me a happy boy after having filmed all these pretty groups for the new tuning guide video
20231030_131649.jpg

more moderator testing of the 910 tune with the cameras rolling this time
20231030_125309.jpg

Donny's new "Ryu" further wind-proofing my 910 tune
20231030_124516.jpg

I've reached my max number of pics permitted for this post, so will continue on below in a new thread...

Steve

⤵️

Last edited:
CONTINUED from above...

This moderator from "Impulse Air" also shined at 50 in wicked winds
20231030_125212.jpg

Impulse Air moderator with the 910 tune at 50 yards - yum
20231030_115143.jpg

easy on/off for the Avenge X
20231030_132613.jpg

100 casual shots at 25 yards tuning
20231009_115956.jpg

910 tune at 50 yds, light wind, morning warmup, off camera
20231027_101617.jpg

FX True Ballistic Chronograph telling us what's going on from muzzle to target
20231030_124313.jpg

speed vs power from muzzle to target
20231030_124329.jpg

910 got that 25.4 shooting pretty slippery... notice the 5 ES and 1.8 SD?? ... gun was shooting this all day after a new set of bolt probe o-rings
20231030_124342.jpg

worn down o-rings after 3,000 shots of test & tune still worked good but new ones brought the ES & SD of the 910 tune to 6 and 1.8
20231026_093630.jpg

new o-rings installed, thank you for keeping me going Tyler P.
20231026_102743.jpg

what the Avenge X .25 cal can do at 50, in the wind, with the JSB 25.4gr... groups are with & without an aftermarket moderator
20231030_130059.jpg

yesterday was a good day proofing a lotta hard work out before the cameras
20231030_133233.jpg

I'm calling it... the 25.4 is "DIALED" 🙂

I'm moving on to the more aerodynamic 34gr now, then to slugs after that.

For my day-to-day learning updates out ahead of the AEAC Avenge X Tuning Guide video, you can follow me on Instagram, "hookedonair." You'll find all of the above there and much more.

Steve

Last edited: